Spadola, Province of Vibo Valentia in Calabria

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
pascalena

Spadola, Province of Vibo Valentia in Calabria

Post by pascalena »

Does anyone on here have any relatives that are from Spadola, Italy?
My family is from there and I was just wondering if anyone else is!
binskyhere1

Re: Spadola, Province of Vibo Valentia in Calabria

Post by binskyhere1 »

My family is from Spadola as well. My great-grandfather Francesco Valente was born in Spadola in about 1872. I think my great-grandmother Angelina Casella was born there as well. I'd like to talk to you about the town as well.

Eddie
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi,

If you are interested in tracing your families in Spadola, the LDS Church (Mormans) has filmed the civil records (birth, marriage & death acts) 1810-1910 for this comune. Here is a link to the avaible films.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

A link to locate your nearest LDS-Family History Center.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

And a link to a guide on obtaining these films from your FHC.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
giapetto

Post by giapetto »

My grandfather, Frank (Francesco) DeFrancesco was from Spadola; my grandmother was Maria Concetta (Carlino) DeFrancesco. She always said she was from Reggio Calabria but she lived in Spadola. Her mother and her father remarried. She had a half-sister Filippa (who we called Zi'Fillip'). I don't remember her husband's name.

When I was in Spadola in 1968, I visited my father's uncle Frank Tassone and his wife. They lived in the US and retired to Spadola. They were already in their late 60's then. I think they lived in New York or New Jersey before that. I remember my relatives having "paesani" with surnames of Zangari, Tassone, Valente; most were in the Hartford, Connecticut area. I went to school with a Zangari from New Britain, CT.

My grandfather's brother was Salvatore DeFrancesco (Uncle Sal). He was a barber in Hartford till he retired. The story was that he served a little liquore at his barber shop during prohibition. I think his wife was Maria Antonnette (Zi'Mar'Anotone).

I hope this is helpful.
Researching DeFrancesco, Carlino from Spadola, Provincia di Vibo Valencia and Polistina, Provincia di Reggio Calabria; Daversa from Accadia, Provincia di Foggia and Nesta from Leone, Provincia di Avellino.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Giapetto,

I'm researching Brognaturo, Spadola and Simbario. And as a matter of fact one of my family lines is DeFrancesco.

You can email me at EJFFTS @ AOL.com (no spaces).

Are you the same person that contacted Brognaturoonline.com and asked for help? I was contacted by the owner (Cosmo) and he sent my email address to the person requesting help and the persons last name was DeFrancesco.

Get ahold of me so we can talk. And welcome to the forum.

Regards
Elizabeth
VinnyMiola

Post by VinnyMiola »

Hi everyone, My grandfather was from Spadala, Italy. My maiden name is Generella. We are having great difficulty researching our ancestry. We aren't certain of the spelling of our last name before immigrating to America. My grandfather's name is Francesco Generella, born 1895. Immigrated to America at age 14. He was illiterate and traveling alone. He came to settle in Pottsville PA with other family that had settled there. Relatives include the last names of Tucci and Tassone.
If anyone knows of any research methods that may assist me with finding records of my grandfather, please let me know.
michelemiola@comcast.net
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Generella is a perfectly good name and the town is Spadola,89822 (VV) Calabria. His entry into the USA at 14 would make it 1909 but there does not seem to be any entry at NYC for Francesco Generella at NYC listed in the ellisisland.org website indicating he may hasve arrived via Boston or Philadelphia.

Since you know his name and year of birth you can obtain his birth record (request hisEstratto di Nascita=long form). Send italian language request form letter which is free of charge to the Spadola Uffico di Stato Civile. Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html and go to www.nonsolocap.it and type inSpadola, hit cerca, click on the name and scroll halfway down to Municipio for the address and at the far right is a www for the town tourist spots in Spadola.

You can also go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Tucci or Tassone inthe first line and Spadola inthe second line and click CERCA for a listing of that surname and/or the other surname. There is no Generella listed inSpadola. Sorry. =Peter=
~Peter~
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Michele,

I'm researching all of the records and have some of the years for Spadola listed on www.catanzaroexchange.com This will take you to the main page, scroll down and you will find a link for Spadola records. I have just started them but will be adding to them every few weeks. I have all of the films for Spadola and when I go to my center this week I will look for specific records for you and link them on the site.

I'm still finishing Brognaturo (records) which is about 1 kilometer from Spadola. The name Generalla does exist and another possibility is Ienerella which is a common name in Spadola, Brognaturo and Simbario.

When my grandfather came he stayed in Chicago with a man that I had thought for quite some time was Generella but turned out to be Ienarella (difficult to determine the capital letters).

I'll be happy to help as much as I can. Feel free to send me a pm with all the information you have and I'll search when I go to my center next week.

All the best
Elizabeth
frankt2126

Post by frankt2126 »

giapetto-

The person that is searching for Defrancesco is my second cousin.

I am Frank Tassone from Long Island. There are many relatives here on Long Island. I do remember Uncle Frank Defrancesco and Uncle Sal Defrancesco. They were my mother's brothers. My mother maiden's name was Concetta Dfrancesco. I also remember my cousin Dominick Carlino. I have been at my Uncle Frank and Zia Concetta's house, Uncle Sal's and Zia Rosa's house and Domenico Carlino's house. Uncle Frank lived at 74 Jefferson Street Hartford. Uncle Sal lived on Farmington Road, West Hartford and Dominick Carlino lived in Wethersfield CT. Uncle Frank and Aunt Concetta had three daughters Stella, Rosina, Antuanetta, and three sons Dominick, Patsy, Frank jr. Uncle Sal had three daughters Stella, Rosaly, Teresa and one son Joe. Domenick Carlino had three sons Frank, Richard, and John. There was another uncle that lived with your grandfather, he was Uncle Nick Defrancesco. He was not married he wanted to be an actor he went to Hollywood twice. The second time he was disappointed that he couldn't get a job in Hollywood. He came back to Hartford and went back to Spadola in 1932. The day that he married in Spadola your great grandma Maria Stella died. She was born Maria Stella Tassone born in 1856. Your great grandfather was Domenico Defrancesco born 1850 and died 1949... I hope that this gets to you.......frank
giapetto

Post by giapetto »

Thank you cousin Frank. I am Frank DeFrancesco. I was mistaken about the name of Uncle Sals wife, but thank you for reminding me that her name was Rosa, I remember her Zi'Rosine (the way they used to say it). I found my grandmother's birth certificate issued by the Comune di Polistena, Provincia di Reggio Calabria. She was born 21, September 1887; baptized "Concetta" Carlino but always disliked the name preferring Maria Concetta. According to the certificate she was the daughter of Angelo and Pasqualina (Goppolo) Carlino. In addition to the three daughters you mention, there was also Mary. Another son died at birth. My father', Dominic and all his brothers and sisters have passed away. My Uncle Dominic Carlino and Aunt Rose (DeFrancesco) Carlino lived on Broad Street in Hartford before moving to Wethersfield. All three of their sons, my cousins, have passed away. Frank and John Carlino had children, Richard did not.
Thank you for filling in some of the missing information. I have some pictures of Spadola taken in 1968. I would like to post them on this site, but have not been successful in doing so. If you would like to email me directly, I can send them to you. Reach me at fjdefrancesco@gmail.com
Ciao.
I only vaguely recall any mention of Uncle Nick the actor. I did not know the name of my great grandmother, Maria Stella (Tassone). I knew my great grandfather was Dominic.
Researching DeFrancesco, Carlino from Spadola, Provincia di Vibo Valencia and Polistina, Provincia di Reggio Calabria; Daversa from Accadia, Provincia di Foggia and Nesta from Leone, Provincia di Avellino.
drbdrdeb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drbdrdeb »

Hi. I am looking for descendants of Dominick DeFrancesco and Mary Amato DeFrancesco who came to Hartford, Ct. in 1899 and 1901, respectfully. They had 6 children that I know of. Nicholas, Theresa, Marian, Joseph, Peter and Frank. They also raised Mary's niece and nephew, Julia and Jimmy, who took on their last name. The name became Francis in the 20s. Mary was my grandmother's aunt.