Lapio

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
QNPoohBear

Lapio

Post by QNPoohBear »

I am researching information on my grandfather's family the Alarios from Lapio. I know his father's name was Carlo and his mother was Conchetta. (I'll look up dates and post again later). They settled in Fitchburg, MA and had two sons- Joe in 1911 and Tony (my grandfather) in 1919. Carlo's father's name was Orazio Antonio. I found a ship's manifest for a GraizAntonio and his wife and one son who might be them but we're just not sure. :( My grandfather passed away when I was 11 so I never really thought to ask him.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Lapio

Post by nuccia »

They are 2 Anthony's with the same birthyear as yours..

Social Security Death Index Record
about Anthony J. Alario
Name: Anthony J. Alario
SSN: xxx-xx-xxxx
Born: 10 Apr 1919
Died: 16 Oct 1989
State (Year) SSN issued: Massachusetts (Before 1951 )

Social Security Death Index Record
about Anthony R. Alario
Name: Anthony R. Alario
Born: 19 Mar 1919
Died: 7 Nov 1991

Is one of them yours?

And could this be them in the 1920 Census??

1920 United States Federal Census Record
about Carlo Alario
Name: Carlo Alario
Home in 1920: Fitchburg Ward 1, Worcester, Massachusetts
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Concetta
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of immigration: 1890
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Image: 908
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Carlo Alario 36
Concetta Alario 38
Joseph Alario 9
Tony Alario 9/12

According to the census, he and Concetta arrived in the US around 1890.

This is Carlo's boat manifest..

First Name: Carlo
Last Name: Alario
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Lapio
Date of Arrival: Jul 05, 1900
Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Kaiser Wilhelm II
Port of Departure: Genoa
Manifest Line Number: 0018

Carlo Manifest

He was going to Chicago to see his father Antonio Orazio.

nuccia
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

QNPoohBear wrote:I am researching information on my grandfather's family the Alarios from Lapio.
Do you know if it is Lapio in the province of Avellino or Lapio in the province of Vicenza?

:)
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
QNPoohBear

Post by QNPoohBear »

Lapio is in Avellino. I found it while linking from Montemilleto where my grandmother is from.

This Anthony is my grandfather:
ocial Security Death Index Record
about Anthony J. Alario
Name: Anthony J. Alario
Born: 10 Apr 1919
Died: 16 Oct 1989

And yes that's them in the 1920 census. Great find with Ellis Island. I'm not positive that's my great-grandfather but I'm going to push my dad to find out what he can. He just hasn't made the time to do it and I'm just curious about my grandfather's family since I only vaugely know Joe's grandson and his family.

Thanks for your help!
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi again,

The LDS Church (Mormans) has filmed the civil records (birth, marriage, & death acts) for the town of Lapio in the province of Avellino.

Here is a link to the available films (covers 1809-1899).

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

Here is a link to locate your nearest LDS-Family History Center.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

A guide to obtaining these films.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html

A handy Italian-English genealogical word list.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

Through the films, you should be able to obtain records on the family to abt. the middle of 1700's.

If you have any questions, need anything, please let us know. We're here to help!

:)
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
QNPoohBear

Post by QNPoohBear »

Thanks. I knew about the family history centers and microfilms but since I don't have money, it's up to my dad to do something and he doesn't seem too interested in his father's family unfortunately. If anyone here knows any Alarios still living in Lapio or is descended from any Alarios from Lapio, let me know!
jamescelata

Post by jamescelata »

I believe I can help you with your research. I have Orazio Antonio born 20 Oct. 1858 and Married to Carmina Carbone born 7 Apr 1858. Married in Lapio 26 Dec 1882. They had six children, that I am aware of. Orazio came to the US 1894 and 1899. Both times through Ellis Island.

I'm showing the ancesters in the 1700's as coming from Gesualdo Italy (?), may have been named after a famous nobleman murderer??
roccop

Post by roccop »

Hi QNPoohbear,
my name is roccop, from Las Vegas. I have just visited Lapio twice in the last two years. I have recently met all of my relatives there. They are the Carbones and Lepores. My mom was born there. Her father came to the US in 1928 and my mom, her sister and mother joined him later. They had many relatives in Fitchburg, Ma. My grandfather settled in Albany, New York. I know a Joe Alario in Albany, knew him for many years. Now, I'm thinking we may be relatives. What do you think? By the way, if you ever get the chance, you must go to Lapio, its incredible. Go in August during the religious feasts. The people are wonderful and the food is indescribable. I will go every year now.
QNPoohBear

Post by QNPoohBear »

Thanks for the information. I found a passenger list record on Ancestry.com that shows GraziAntonio (Orazio) and his wife and son Genaro arriving in Boston in 1912. It sounds like my great-great grandfather came back and forth a few times.

My uncle and cousin went to Lapio a month ago and they were shown around by a Dr. Lozido who introduced them to his friend's cousin who was visiting from MA and could speak both Italian and English. They discovered there was only one Alario left in the area, Afred Alario who was the son of my great grandfather, Carlo Alario’s, brother, Genaro Alario. As far as I can tell, Genaro came to the United States in 1912 with his parents, was living here in 1919 when my grandfather was born but must have returned to Italy after that. My cousin is still in Italy and coming home soon. I hope she has more information for me so we can fill in the family tree.
phenylalan

Post by phenylalan »

I have an original document. It is the marriage certificate for Orazioantonio Alario and Carmina Carbone. It names Francesantoino Alario and Maria Amore as the father and mother of Orazioantonio, and Raffaele Carbone and Carmela Crosella as the father and mother of Carmine. It is dated December 26, 1882. HELLO! My name is Gary and we are related. Orazioantonio Alario had six children. Giovannina, Raffaele, Carlo, Congetti, Pippina, and Gennaro. Your Great Grandfather Carlo and my Grandmother Giovannina were brother and sister. I also have the Immigration approval for Gennaro Alario and some birth certificates, Certificates of arrival, Baptismal records, Passports, Citizenship cards... If you would like a good copy let me know.
Alario

Post by Alario »

QNPoohBear, My name is April, and I am the daughter of Gennaro Alario (born 1959 in Boston), who is the son of Corine (Romano) Alario and Orazio Antonio Alario (born 1923 in Lapio, Italy), who is the son of Adenlina (Anzalone) and Gennaro Alario (whose year of birth I do not know, but I believe is approximately 1898 in Lapio). Gennaro (my great-granfather) had (I believe) 7 children. Some of them are still alive in Italy and are in their 80's. I recently spoke to one of them (last week) to inform the family in Italy that my father died unexpectedly of a heart attack just one month ago. He was only fifty. In my grief, I've been thinking a lot, as well, about the extended Alario family.

I am sure that you are related to me, because my grandfather Orazio, would always talk about the family in Fitchburg. (My grandfather passed away in 1999). I think our grandparents or great-grandparents may have been cousins, but contact me and we can talk more about it! I'd love to meet you. My grandfather Orazio, lived in Revere, and that is where my father grew up, and where my widowed mother now lives in the same house that my father grew up in, in Revere. I believe that my grandfather used to spend time with some of the family in Fitchburg. They were women. Maybe a grandmother or great-aunt of yours?

Maybe someone in your family knew my father? If so, please apologize that I did not inform them of his death. I didn't have any contact information. I just happened to find your post when I googled my Dad's name "Gennaro Alario" to see his obituary online.

I am in contact with the Alario family in Italy, and can give you some of their e-mails. A few of them are on Facebook. I went to Italy only once, ten years ago, when I was 19, and spent four days with them (I was studying abroad in Europe at the time). I met a brother and a sister of my grandfather Orazio Antonio, and several of my father's cousins. They are wonderful people. I got huge kisses and a great big lasagna just for coming. If your family is a branch off the Alario tree a bit further up the root, I'm sure they can help you find your people in Italy. I know the feeling of really wanting to reconnect! I'm glad I found you. Are you still in Fitchburg? How old are you? I am 29, and my brother Anthony is 23.

Ciao,
April Alario

PS - Send me your e-mail address, and I can give you contact info!
QNPoohBear

Post by QNPoohBear »

Just to update. Thanks to Gary and April we're making good progress on the Alario family tree! My parents are going to Southern Italy next fall and promise to look up the gaps in the family tree. Thanks everyone for your help.