COLLE SANNITA (Benevento)

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
cjdelgross

Re: COLLE SANNITA (Benevento)

Post by cjdelgross »

Dr. Fabio -

Yes, I thank you very much for the information. Although I am not sure the dates add up with my great grandfathers birth year of 1855 and my grandfathers birthdate. That would have made my great grandfather 46 at the time of my grandfathers birth. Do you know of any other Giorgio DelGrosso from that era in Colle Sannita?

Thanks again!

Christopher
cjdelgross

Post by cjdelgross »

Dr. Fabio -

I hope I am not being a bother to you, thank you so much for the previous information. Unfortunately, the birthdate of my Great Grandfather Georgio was not correct. 1855 was way to early. He was born in 1875 in Colle from new information I got today.

I definitely now have the right information on the name of my GREAT grandparents.

Georgio (or Giorgio) DelGrosso (born 1875).
His wife was Vicenza DelGrosso (Di Muccio) (born 1873).

As mentioned before, my grandfather was born Giovanni DelGrosso on Dec. 25, 1901 in Colle Sannita. He had a brother Antonio DelGrosso that was also born there I believe before him around 1897 or 1898.

Any further information regarding them would be very nice and appreciated!

I am planning to come to Colle Sannita next year and if given the chance, I would enjoy taking you to dinner as thanks for helping me in this quest!

Grazie,

Christopher
FabioP.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FabioP. »

cjdelgross wrote:Dr. Fabio -

I hope I am not being a bother to you, thank you so much for the previous information. Unfortunately, the birthdate of my Great Grandfather Georgio was not correct. 1855 was way to early. He was born in 1875 in Colle from new information I got today.

I definitely now have the right information on the name of my GREAT grandparents.

Georgio (or Giorgio) DelGrosso (born 1875).
His wife was Vicenza DelGrosso (Di Muccio) (born 1873).

As mentioned before, my grandfather was born Giovanni DelGrosso on Dec. 25, 1901 in Colle Sannita. He had a brother Antonio DelGrosso that was also born there I believe before him around 1897 or 1898.

Any further information regarding them would be very nice and appreciated!

I am planning to come to Colle Sannita next year and if given the chance, I would enjoy taking you to dinner as thanks for helping me in this quest!

Grazie,

Christopher
Hello Christopher,

don't worry, it's a pleasure to help you!
I have all the informations you need!

Giorgio Del Grosso was born in Colle Sannita on April 5th, 1875 and was baptized with the names "Michele Arcangelo Giorgio Del Grosso".
His parents were Giuseppantonio Del Grosso and Pasqualina Viola.
Giorgio had a sister, Arcangela Del Grosso, born on October 17th, 1883.

Giuseppantonio (even named Antonio) Del Grosso (Giorgio's father) was born in Colle on May 30th, 1849 and his parents were Damiano Del Grosso and Arcangela Tedesco.
His wife Pasqualina Viola (Giorgio's mother) was born in Colle on Jenuary 4, 1854 and her parents were Giuseppe Viola and Angela Petoscello.

Your great-grandfather Giorgio Del Grosso married Innocenza (not Vincenza) Di Muccio, in 1895.
Innocenza Di Muccio was born on May 8th, 1872 and her parents were Giovanni Di Muccio (born March 29th, 1841 - son of Vincenzo Di Muccio and Andreana Grasso) and Filomena Zeolla (born on July 15th, 1839 - daughter of Francesco Zeolla and Costanza Zeolla).
Innocenza had a sister, Nicolina Di Muccio, born on March 28th, 1869.

Antonio Del Grosso (your great grandfather's brother) was born in Colle Sannita on February 28th, 1896 and was baptized on March 1st, 1896.
He emigrated to the United States with his family, and married Angela Izzo in Cleveland, Ohio, on November 8th, 1924.

I'm sure they are your Ancesctors!

Best Regards,
dr. Fabio Paolucci

P.S. Please, if you have ancient pictures of your Ancestors from Colle Sannita, please send me these to my email address fabio.paolucci@yahoo.it and I will insert these in a book I'm writing about ancient families from the Sannio region.
P.P.S. If you came here in Italy, I will be very happy to meet you!
You will be the welcome in Italy and in Colle Sannita!
cjdelgross

Post by cjdelgross »

Wow! This is wonderful information! Thank you so much Dr. Fabio! This is much more than we ever knew!

We actually have many pictures that I will get together and send to you!

Thanks so much!

Christopher
FabioP.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FabioP. »

cjdelgross wrote:Wow! This is wonderful information! Thank you so much Dr. Fabio! This is much more than we ever knew!

We actually have many pictures that I will get together and send to you!

Thanks so much!

Christopher
I'm very happy because we have found your Ancestors!
I will be waiting for your reply with your family-pictures by email!

Best Regards,
Dr. Fabio Paolucci
mariaz

Post by mariaz »

Hi there,
I'm just wondering if you have any information on my grandparents. His name was Nicola Tedesco born in 1908 and her name was Giovannina Iapozzuto born in 1907.
Any information will help greatly.
Thank you,
Maria Zeolla.
FabioP.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FabioP. »

Hello Maria,

I have the informations you need about your grandmother Giovannina Iapozzuto.

She was born in Colle Sannita on October 3, 1907. Her parents were Damiano Iapozzuto, peasant born on March 2, 1883, and Maria Carmela Gagliardo, born on July 16, 1881.

Damiano Iapozzuto's parents were Giovanni Iapozzuto and Maria Antonia Viola.
Maria Carmela Gagliardo's parents were Giovanni Gagliardo and Libera Tedesco.

Giovannina Iapozzuto had brothers and sisters:
Maria Antonia Iapozzuto, born on September 11, 1913
Salvatore Iapozzuto, born on December 18, 1920
Vincenza Maria Iapozzuto, born on September 3, 1923
Giovanni Iapozzuto, born on July 25, 1925

The nickname of this family in Colle Sannita was "Vitone".

I have not info about Tedesco family because the register of "Stato delle Anime" of 1932 stops at the letter "P" and there aren't Tedesco families. Please, tell me Nicola Tedesco's parents names, and I can find their name in other documents.

Best Regards,
Dr. Fabio Paolucci
mariaz

Post by mariaz »

Dear Dr Fabio Paolucci,
Thank you very much for your quick response. It was very helpful. I'll get back to you about my grandfather Tedesco's parent's names. I'll have to find out from my mother.
Just out of curiosity would you have any information on my other grandparents, Pietro Zeolla born 1921 and Maria Grazie (not sure on surname or date of birth).
Thank you again.
Kind Regards,

Maria Zeolla.
FabioP.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FabioP. »

mariaz wrote:Dear Dr Fabio Paolucci,
Thank you very much for your quick response. It was very helpful. I'll get back to you about my grandfather Tedesco's parent's names. I'll have to find out from my mother.
Just out of curiosity would you have any information on my other grandparents, Pietro Zeolla born 1921 and Maria Grazie (not sure on surname or date of birth).
Thank you again.
Kind Regards,

Maria Zeolla.
Hello Maria,

I have not records of 1921 and of Zeolla families in 1932.
If you tell me the names of Pietro Zeolla's parents, I could search their baptism acts.

Best Regards,
Dr. Fabio Paolucci
Viola

Post by Viola »

Hello Fabio,

My grandfather, Giuseppe Antonio Viola, was born on January 24, 1887 in Colle Sannita. I'm trying to put together any history of siblings/relatives there that he may have had. Unfortunately his 7 children (including my father) have very little info on his life in Italy or even how/why he came to the US in the first place. Although I'm tracking when he came to the US with the help of others on a different forum, I was wondering if you could help me with his family in Italy. We may still have family there and we may have relatives in the US that we don't know about.

Thanks so much in advance!

Brian Viola
FabioP.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FabioP. »

Viola wrote:Hello Fabio,

My grandfather, Giuseppe Antonio Viola, was born on January 24, 1887 in Colle Sannita. I'm trying to put together any history of siblings/relatives there that he may have had. Unfortunately his 7 children (including my father) have very little info on his life in Italy or even how/why he came to the US in the first place. Although I'm tracking when he came to the US with the help of others on a different forum, I was wondering if you could help me with his family in Italy. We may still have family there and we may have relatives in the US that we don't know about.

Thanks so much in advance!

Brian Viola
Hello Brian,
nice to meet you!
I've the info you need.
Giuseppantonio Viola was born in Colle Sannita on January 24, 1887 at 1.00 p.m. and he was baptized the day after by the priest Nicodemo Mascia.
Giuseppantonio's parents were Giambattista Viola and Maria Concetta Iamarino.

Giambattista Viola (Giuseppantonio's father) was born in Colle on November 15, 1852 and his parents were Antonio Viola and Anna Maria Marino.
On Jenuary 23, 1871, Giambattista married Maria Concetta Iamarino (daughter of Giovanni Iamarino and Lucia Del Grosso) and had four children:
1. Maria Lucia Viola (born November 8, 1874);
2. Filomena Viola (born August 27, 1878);
3. Giuseppantonio Viola (born January 24, 1887);
4. Lucia Viola (born July 3, 1892).

I hope you will enjoy my informations.
Best Regards,
Dr. Fabio Paolucci
Salerno, Italy
Viola

Post by Viola »

Dr. Paolucci,

Thank you very much! This is indeed outstanding information. I just shared this with my father and uncle and they are both stunned (they never knew their father had three sisters).

Two last questions since you seem to have the quick answers and then I won't bother you again.
1) What was the name of the Church they belonged to?
2) Is there anyway for you to tell if Giuseppe actually was married in Colle Sannita and what may have happened with that wife? There is some confusion on whether my grandfather came to the US in 1907, went back to Italy to get married, and then came back to the US through Canada to eventually marry my grandmother in 1925 (he was 20 years older than my grandmother when they married). So, rumors of a first wife seem to persist!

Thank you again for all of this information!!

Brian Viola

PS When does your book on Colle Sannita get published?
littleflower

Post by littleflower »

Dr. Fabio-

I recently found out that my GGM came from Circello. Her name was Vincenza Cerrone. She arrived in US about 1909. It seems her birth year would be 1889. Her parents were Francesco Cerrone and Addolorata Cassetta. By any chance might you have any info on these families? I realize that Colle Sannita is a separate town from Circello. However, I figured I would give it a shot since the two towns are only separated by 6 km.

Assuming you have no direct information, how would I go about obtaining the necessary records when I travel to Circello? Where would the best sources of the family history be located and how would I go about getting access?

Thanks for your help

Little Flower

PS It seems her sisters Anna, Maria and her brother Domenico left Circello around the same time.
FabioP.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FabioP. »

Viola wrote:Dr. Paolucci,

Thank you very much! This is indeed outstanding information. I just shared this with my father and uncle and they are both stunned (they never knew their father had three sisters).

Two last questions since you seem to have the quick answers and then I won't bother you again.
1) What was the name of the Church they belonged to?
2) Is there anyway for you to tell if Giuseppe actually was married in Colle Sannita and what may have happened with that wife? There is some confusion on whether my grandfather came to the US in 1907, went back to Italy to get married, and then came back to the US through Canada to eventually marry my grandmother in 1925 (he was 20 years older than my grandmother when they married). So, rumors of a first wife seem to persist!

Thank you again for all of this information!!

Brian Viola

PS When does your book on Colle Sannita get published?

Hello Brian,

excuse me for delay of my answer, but I was in Colle Sannita in the last days and I had problems with Internet connection there.

I'm answering your questions:
1) The Church of your Ancestors was San Giorgio Martire Church of Colle Sannita;
2) I can't answer because I have weddings act until 1904;
3) I don't know when the book will be published: I have wrote more of 3000 pages, and this search must go on!

Best Regards,
Dr. Fabio Paolucci
Salerno - Italy
FabioP.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FabioP. »

littleflower wrote:Dr. Fabio-

I recently found out that my GGM came from Circello. Her name was Vincenza Cerrone. She arrived in US about 1909. It seems her birth year would be 1889. Her parents were Francesco Cerrone and Addolorata Cassetta. By any chance might you have any info on these families? I realize that Colle Sannita is a separate town from Circello. However, I figured I would give it a shot since the two towns are only separated by 6 km.

Assuming you have no direct information, how would I go about obtaining the necessary records when I travel to Circello? Where would the best sources of the family history be located and how would I go about getting access?

Thanks for your help

Little Flower

PS It seems her sisters Anna, Maria and her brother Domenico left Circello around the same time.
Hello Little Flower,

unfortunately, I have not records of Circello.
Circello is a beautiful village, and I see this place from the window of my house in Colle Sannita!
Last thursday I was there, and I visited the historical centre and the castle of Circello!

If you need informations about your Ancestors, you can write a request to:
Comune di Circello
Ufficio Anagrafe,
via Pescogrosso, 1
82020 - Circello (BN)
Italy

(see: http://www.circello.com/)

Best Regards,
Dr. F. Paolucci