Contraguena, Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Contraguena, Italy

Postby xifentoozlerix » 03 May 2003, 00:01

I was looking through some records on www.ellisisland.org and found one of someone with my surname listed as coming from Contraguena, Italy. I can not find any information on this at all, despite some pretty tedious searching. Anyone have any info on this place?
xifentoozlerix

Postby ptimber » 03 May 2003, 03:49

Did you inspect the ships manifest where you found the "Congtraguyena" entry for the person with the surname you failed to reflect in your posting making it impossible for me to look it up. However, knowing the entry data you should go to the ships manifest and see what was originally written if its legible. When they transcribed the records from handwriting to the website it is possible they miseppled the town of origin. It is also possible that the name that appeared in the ellis island website was a suburb or "frazione"opf an existiung town. Either look it up and see what it was originally written as or give me the full name and I will try to look it up and see what can be done.Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 03 May 2003, 03:53

Did you inspect the ships manifest where you found the "Congtraguyena" entry for the person with the surname you failed to reflect in your posting making it impossible for me to look it up. However, knowing the entry data you should go to the ships manifest and see what was originally written if its legible. When they transcribed the records from handwriting to the website it is possible they miseppled the town of origin. It is also possible that the name that appeared in the ellis island website was a suburb or "frazione"opf an existiung town. Either look it up and see what it was originally written as or give me the full name and I will try to look it up and see what can be done.Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 03 May 2003, 03:56

There is a possibility that the town is Contraguerra, Postale 64010, Provincia Teramo, Abruzzo. However, this is speculation on my part and while it porbably is the town I cannot categorize this town name as bieng the town you are interested in without further supporting evidence. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy