"Li Carta" and "Girgenti"

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
runningoat5

"Li Carta" and "Girgenti"

Postby runningoat5 » 19 Dec 2007, 06:44

I've recently been told by a family member that my relative was born in the city of Li Carta which is supposed to be in Girgenti. I have not been able to make sense of this.

First, I cannot find a Li Carta nor does "Li" seem to be an Italian word to me (though I've only just started learning the language). There is "Gli" but that would not agree with "carta."

Second, Girgenti is not even close a similarly-spelled La Carta, Italy.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help! I hope that I can contribute to this site as well since I am brand new.

eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: "Li Carta" and "Girgenti"

Postby eyetalgal » 19 Dec 2007, 07:20

possibly Licata in Agrigento Province

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 19 Dec 2007, 12:46

Runninggoat,

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Eyetalgal that there's a good chance your relative is from Licata in the province of Agrigento.

If you can give us the name of your relative, perhaps we can locate a ship manifest or other document which can verify this.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Dec 2007, 13:48

Girgenti no longer exists as a real place having been renamed Agrigento which is both a city and a capital of the province of the same name. Licata is one of the surrounding towns and villages under the administrative jurisdiction of Agrigento province in Sicily. Your in good hands for any questions or research objectives you may be contemplating. =Peter=

runningoat5

Postby runningoat5 » 20 Dec 2007, 06:06

Licata in Agrigento would make a lot of sense with some of the other family history. Thanks for all your help!
Bryan C. -- Rocket Scientist in Training

Known Family Names: Costanza / Costanzo, Mantia, Luchessi, Maggesi, Cardamone, Ratchford, Petterson, Luddy, Bensinger, Custer, Fritsch / Fritz, Edelman

nastygunz

Postby nastygunz » 27 Jan 2008, 02:30

hi runningoat, i have kinfolk named licata in aragona that I am working on getting info for dual citizenship, interesting!!

Return to “Locations in Italy”