Where are the documents located, Lipari or Messina?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
sokser

Where are the documents located, Lipari or Messina?

Postby sokser » 13 Mar 2008, 18:17

I am looking for my families birth and marriage certificates from Lipari. They were born in the 1880's and were married in either the late 1890's or early 1900's. I will be flying to Lipari and Sicily in May to physically obtain the records and I was hoping that someone could let me know where the records would be located. I have heard from some people that they are in Lipari and others have said that they are in Messina. Any help that you could provide me would be very helpful.

I was also hoping that someone could point me in the right direction to a translator in both Messina and Lipari who could help me to find these documents.

juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Where are the documents located, Lipari or Messina?

Postby juanminbar » 17 Mar 2008, 12:18

lipari is the town in the province of messina. if you are certain the family member was born in lipari then that is where your search should start. on the chance that you went to messina they would direct you to lipari.

i believe your best bet for a translator would be in the comune of lipari. perhaps you can locate a relative.

good luck, john

prlaplaca

Postby prlaplaca » 22 Mar 2008, 04:31

I am also looking for records of my grandmother & her siblings who were born in Lipari. Is it possible you can update this when you find out where the records are kept?

Thank you,
Trish

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 22 Mar 2008, 05:27

Dear Sokser You can e-mail the Uffico di Stato Civile in Lipari and inquire as to the location of records for the Lipari Islands at STATOCIVILE@COMUNELIPARI.IT.

At the same time you can also contact the Uffico di Stato Civile in Messina which has 5 distinct offcies related to the Stato Civile services at what appears to be the main body in Messina at 090-661628. =Peter=

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 22 Mar 2008, 09:31

The Stato Civile records are made in two copies:
the first copy is always kept at the civil record office of the municipality;
the second copy is kept to the local courthouse;
after 70 year the local courthouse gives the second copy to State Archive.
So about Lipari you find the
first copy to Stato Civile of Lipari
and the second copy is still at Cancelleria presso la Procura della Repubblica di Messina (local courthouse)
because Archvio di Stato di Messina keeps the copies until 1865

Here there are the microfilms of Lipari civil records from 1820 to 1910

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... o+civile++

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

sokser

Postby sokser » 07 Apr 2008, 00:47

Thank you so much for the helpful replies. My family has quite an extensive family tree for our family in Lipari that goes back until the mid-1600's. I will write to the e-mail addresses listed. Do you know if I can write in English or do you know where I can find a form letter that would work to confirm such information. Once again thank you all.

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Poipuo4 » 09 Apr 2008, 17:45

Sokser: write in Italian. You can find form letters at http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resources/index.asp. Now these form letters may not totally suit your inquiry, so if you need someone to tweak them, post your request on our translations board.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia

Return to “Locations in Italy”