Need help finding records - any info would be appreciated!

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
doula.katie

Need help finding records - any info would be appreciated!

Postby doula.katie » 31 Mar 2008, 21:34

Hi Everyone - I am in the process of obtaining dual citizenship and I need to get copies of my great grandfather's birth certificate (would be from 1869 or 1870 - actual birth date is unknown) and marriage certificate. My great grandfather was born and was married in the province of Bari in the town of Bisceglie. Any ideas on how to go about getting these records?
Thanks!
-Katie

nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Need help finding records - any info would be appreciate

Postby nazca » 01 Apr 2008, 10:37

Hi Katie,

this is the official website of Bisceglie : http://www.comune.bisceglie.ba.it
(only in italian)
You can try to send a mail to the public relation office : the address is "urp@comune.bisceglie.ba.it".
Another choice is send a letter to:

Ufficio Demografico - Stato Civile
Comune di Bisceglie -
Via Trento, 8 -
70052 - Bisceglie - BA
Italy

best regards

Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 02 Apr 2008, 06:11

Or, Katie,

if you want you may check the Family History Center's Microfilms about Bisceglie, so you'll able to find the exact birth date of your ancestor and then write to the Comune as you were suggested to do by Nazca....

From: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Topic: Italy, Bari, Bisceglie - Civil registration

Titles Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1993 Bisceglie (Bari). Ufficio dello stato civile

Nati 1866-1871
FHL INTL
Film 1915998
Item 2

this is why I think that if you ask to the Comune without sure dates probably your request will not be complied....

Laura

p.s. to find your nearest Family Center:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

doula.katie

Postby doula.katie » 04 Apr 2008, 16:21

Thank you, Vincenzo! I have sent messages by email and regular mail so hopefully I will hear something.

And thank you, Laura! There is a Family Center very close to my house and I am going there later this afternoon. Hopefully I will find something.

Thank you! Thank you!

-Katie

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 04 Apr 2008, 16:47

Katie,
I wish you my best and hope that Bisceglie civil record office will welcome your request and send the certificates you need to your home address.
I just want to let you know that sometimes, even if the civil record office has an email, it doesn't mean they accept your request and reply, sometimes they need you send them some changes to cover the expenses of civil certificates, sometimes they need you send them an envelope plus italian stamp for reply, sometimes they also need a copy of your ID.
All of these is requested by the law.
So, if in a couple of months you don't hear from them, you know it could be for one of these reasons.
That is why I always call and talk to the registrar before I send the request, in order to know what is the best way to send the request and to know more tips, in order to be sure to receive an official reply
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 04 Apr 2008, 17:20

Riccardo,

Your advice makes so much sense. :D People are often frustrated because they expect quick service, but don't understand how laws and customs work in other countries. Italian civil records give us so much more information than we could get in the US and are less expensive, if not free. It is only courteous to follow the rules of each comune.

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 04 Apr 2008, 20:15

This is the reason why I stated you this, at least before you write, you better make a phone call to the office and ask, so you are sure you can follow their guide lines, and this way you don't risk to sit down and wait forever for a reply from italian civil record office or archive or parish or military district
bye Riccardo

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 05 Apr 2008, 12:49

Rich,

If you do not speak Italian would there be someone to talk with that speaks English? That is my frustration in making a call.

As for Italian Regulations, should we always enclose some sort of identification when making a request?

It would be nice to have a list of to do's (or guidelines) before requesting records. At least that way you pretty much have the bases covered.

I now have no problem enclosing a self-addressed envelope but no luck with Italian Stamps. Should we include an IRC for the amount of the stamps?

Thanks,
lilbees

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 05 Apr 2008, 13:41

Dear libees,
basically, what you would do is:
1) write a specific request on a sheet of paper, only in italian;
2) put it in an envelope + photocopy of your ID + self addressed envelope + italian stamp for reply.
Sometimes the civil record office needs some changes (like € 0,26 euro cents for each document requested, to be put in the envelope) so it would be a reason why it doesn't reply to you.

About italian stamps, you can send IRC, but sometimes they do not accept it. So this would be another reason it doesn't reply to you.

The rules changes from civil record office to civil record office.
Sometimes you can easily send an email of fax, this can be known after a worth phone call to civil record office

A lot of italian people don't speak english and/ or don't understand english.
So that's why a phone call to them, only in italian, is worth, before and after sending the request, so you can follow the process of it.

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 05 Apr 2008, 13:46

Okay, I wrote in Italian, I enclosed a reply envelope but did not enclose money. So, If I follow up with a new request then I will enclose money with each. I did send my ID with my requests.

Don't know of anyone who can speak Italian so calling is out for me. I will try the other approach with the money unless someone has any other suggestion.

Thank you so much. You have been tremendous in your assistance with any question we may have. You are definitely appreciated.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

Return to “Locations in Italy”