Where's Nofalle Italia?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
BarbaraR

Re: Where's Nofalle Italia?

Post by BarbaraR »

Nofalle could be NOLA ?

http://www.comune.nola.na.it/
TigerHawk

Post by TigerHawk »

Hi Suanj. The brothers all went to Mexico. Antonio died prematurely there.

I don't know when they left Italy. But your guess of around 1884/5 is a good one. Pietro knew how to grow grapes for wine, he must have learned that skill in Italy, I'm thinking somewhere besides Napoli which is a big city and thus not conducive to vineyards. He also landed a good job with the railroad once in Mexico (or perhaps he was invited to go there).

1884/5 for the emigration date would make him around 19 years old at that time (born 1866), old enough to have developed the horticulture skills he exhibits later. I don't think he was a youngster when he left Italy, but I could be wrong.
TigerHawk

Post by TigerHawk »

Hi Barbara! Possible, but Nola doesn't sound like Nofalle. Is that essential? Nola is not far from Napoli though, and is a fertile place according to the following:

"Pleasantly situated in the plain between Mount Vesuvius and the Apennines, 16 miles ENE of Naples, is served by the local railway Naples-Baiano. Of the ancient city, which occupied the same site as the modern town, hardly anything is now visible. In the days of its independence it issued an important series of coins. Nola was one of the most ancient cities of Campania, variously said to have been founded by the Ausones, the Chalcidians and the Etruscans. Its territory was very fertile, and this was the principal source of its wealth. A large number of vases of Greek style were found in the neighbourhood. The Etruscans were certainly in Nola about 560 BC when it sent assistance to Neapolis against the Roman invasion (328 BC). The Romans conquered Nola in 343 BC, and it was thenceforth faithful to Rome."

_________

I'll see if Nola has any Amatos.
bramsey

Post by bramsey »

I would like to have further discussion about the ship manifest cited by SusanJ. I found these records a year ago and it is the only manifest that I have seen that comes close to matching the family description.

My grandmother was Stella Amato. She was the daughter (and oldest child) of Pedro Amato and Angela Gonzales b:1895 in San Luis Potosi, MX. While I am puzzled by the lack of the expected brothers on the ship, the sister, Stella, and the parents make sense to me. Pedro's age, based on his death certificate, was likely provided by his widow or one of his children. While I would like to have seen a perfect match, three years difference is not unheard of under the stressful circumstances of a death in the family. Is it possible the missing brothers came over on a different ship? How confident are we of their names?

I have searched the NYC census records for 1900 and could not find any of these people.

1881 Manifest transcription:

Domenico Amato 36 Laboroer b:1845
Filomena Amato 31 b:1850
Angelo Amato 18 laborer b:1863 (pg 5 of the manifest with Angelo Calabreze)
Giovanni Amato 15 b:1866
Pietro Amato age 12 b:1869
Stella Amato age 9 b:1872
Pasqual Amato 52 laborer b:1829 (unrelated?)

They seemed to be traveling with a family named Calabreze
Raffaelle Calabreze 45 laborer b:1836
Angelo Calabreze 21 laborer b:1860
Carmemi b:11

There was also one Esposito on the ship:
Michele Esposito 46 laborer b:1835
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

You mentioned that it could be an auditory error. A Spanish-speaking person hearing "Novale" would write it as "Nofalle". I checked on GoogleEarth and there is a Novale in Bolzano. While it is quite the opposite direction from Napoli, there are Amatos there. I'm sure Suanj would have a better idea if this is possible............just an idea.
claudiaitalia

Information about Pietro Amato Esposito from Naples

Post by claudiaitalia »

Dear Ancestors of Pietro Amato Esposito from Naples (Napoli):

I am the great granddauther of Pietro Amato Esposito. He was from Naples, son of Domenico Amato and Filomena Esposito. He married Angela Gonzalez Zapata, from San Luis Potosi (Daugther of Gral. Gonzalez and Refugio Zapata). Francesco was his brother (was called tio Pancho), married in Aguascalientes but he did not have any children.Pietro went to USA and worked for the railroad co. and traveled south to Aguascalientes, Mexico. There he had a vineyard, the first in Aguascalientes, and cultivated honey bees but he also has fruit orchards and farm animals. He made his own wine, had with Angela more and less 20 children. He was called don Pedro and loved by everyone. Their children were (not in order): Pedro (who died young), Stella (who has 18 children ?), Ethol (famous for her beaty, died when gave birth to his son Romulo), Domingo (I met him, was called Tío Mingo), Dante (I met him, he just died some years ago), Angela (I met her, was called Tía Mela), Clelia (she was my grandmother, I loved her a lot, she was the third Clelia because 2 others died before, in that time without antibiotics or vaccines life was tough), Yolanda (I met her very well, she had 9 or 11 children???, I really loved this aunty), Oscar (I know him very well, he just widowed last year, he is my dear uncle, had 6 children, is he is the LAST SON of Pietro Amato Esposito!!!!!).Today our uncle Oscar lives in the same city where my mother lives. When I was a child I heard from her and my aunties and my dear uncle Oscar lovely stories about Pietro and his farm in Aguascalientes that my mother used to visit when she was a child.I wrote this just to clarify the confusion with the names of the parents and origin of Pietro Amato Esposito.
Sorry for my bad English but I speak Spanish!
cristi-amato

Post by cristi-amato »

Hi, My name is cristina amato and I am granddauther of pietro amato I think that you can give information about him
Lamato

Post by Lamato »

Hi this seems to be my family, how can I get more Information? Thank you in advance
Ariolav

Re: Where's Nofalle Italia?/ Napoli Amato Eposito

Post by Ariolav »

The manifesto of 1881, also makes Me believe thatI believe that this is my family. I am looking for information about Filomena Esposito (1850-1917) and hit brickwall. If anyone has any information on her Mother name, please let me know. Thank you.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found just these probable records; Bracigliano is in Salerno province and no far from Napoli. Many italian immigrants stated Napoli as birthplace, just to say that coming from this area. Napoli is the capital of Campania region

https://www.google.it/maps/place/84082+ ... 14.7084684
Pietro Damato ( spelled also AMATO AND D'AMATO) son of Domenico AMATO 40 old, son of late Giovanni, and Filomena Esposito 30 old, daughter of Giovanni, born in Bracigliano on 26 Feb 1867 #24

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 7.jpg.html

Giovanni D'AMATO born in Bracigliano on 26 Mar 1865 son of domenico 40 old son of late Giovanni, and of Filomena Esposito 24 old

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
the ages are wrong because they was illiterates..

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the website is divided into thematic areas, depending on what a visitor needs. Here you can find thematic areas. Read the explanations and based on what you are looking for, click on New Topic and enter the title and write the text of what you need.

https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Ariolav

Re: Where's Nofalle Italia? Amato/Esposito

Post by Ariolav »

Thank you for the documents above. Can you tell me if the Mothers of Domenico and Filomena, Guiseppa and Tommasina last name was Grimaldi?