WWI research

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
8 posts • Page 1 of 1

WWI research

Postby Debid76 » 16 Aug 2008, 20:23

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has done any research on WWI and the Italian Army. Know of any good websites??? Books???

I am wanting to look into my great-grandfather's service during WWI and want to see of I can find out info regarding their units... where they fought, etc.

Any ideas, suggestions are much appreciated!!

Thank you,

Deb
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie

Re: WWI research

Postby PeterTimber » 17 Aug 2008, 00:01

Your fathers army records are available in the provincial offices from where he was conscripted. Request his discharge Records (foglio di Congedo illimitato) which contains biographical, physical descruiption, vocation and education. They also give information regarding the date and place of draft length of service, transfers, campaigns, medals and wounds.
Please advise. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby MauroMags » 17 Aug 2008, 01:06

Hi Peter

Is the document you refer to (foglio di Congedo illimitato) much different than the (foglio matricolare)? Or are they the same document?

thank you,
Mauro
MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Debid76 » 17 Aug 2008, 02:32

Peter,

Thank you for your advice. I looked through my papers and found I do have those for both my great-grandfathers.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/756/ ... erskk8.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/479/ ... rs2yq2.jpg

I have not had them translated, so do not know how much information they provide. I have tried before to look up their regiments on the computer to see what I could find out, but really wasn't getting anywhere.

So, I was wondering if anyone else has gone in that direction and if they found any good sources in their research.

Thank you,

Deb :D
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie

Postby nuccia » 17 Aug 2008, 06:27

Contact member Biff who is amazing finding out about War information. He helped me out about a year ago.

As a side note...those document are pretty old so perhaps you may want to have them preserved to keep them from deteriorating any further. Use archival paper which can be found at many office supply stores and maybe art shops.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby PeterTimber » 17 Aug 2008, 11:14

The registro di foglie matricolare (draftee resume of service record) includes details of the mans military service,including such items as promotions. This registro appears to be more of a resume that a factual compilation that the Foglio di Congedo illimitato(Discharge Records) would contain. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 17 Aug 2008, 11:44

You might wish to e-mail The Italian Army central document office at cedoc_roma@esercito.difesa.it and ask them for an english version source for your inquiry and/or write to the Biblioteca Miltare Centrale, Uffico Storico, Via XX Setttembre 00192, Roma, Italy.

You might wish to go to www.mangeruca.com if you wish a form letter to assist you in your inquiry to the military library since it is tailored for milityary document requests. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby Debid76 » 20 Aug 2008, 03:05

Peter & Nuccia,

Thank you both for your responses and advice!! :D

Deb
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie

8 posts • Page 1 of 1