GEDCOM Files/Viewers

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
VXZZZZZZ
Rookie
Rookie

GEDCOM Files/Viewers

Postby VXZZZZZZ » 05 Sep 2008, 05:23

Hey everyone,

While I was driving around today, I got a call from a distant cousin who has all the info for my Nana's side of the family tree. She and I exchanged pleasantries, and she and I have decided to start chatting by email so that I can send her my copy of the family and vice versa.

Come to find out, she does not use a computer program, she has all these huge graph sheets filled with data which she is going to email to me. She asked that I still send my copy of the family tree in email.

I exported my family file to a GEDCOM file (.GED), and then I began to wonder...do they have GEDCOM File Viewers? What if she does not have anything that can open the file that I am sending her?!

So I search Google, and came up with a bunch of different file viewers for GEDCOM files, and I also found out that I could just open the file with Notepad, or all most any other text editor!

What a kick in the pants!

Anyways, so!

My question is, with the GEDCOM files that I made, I noticed that all the personal notes that I have included in the program were also exported into the GEDCOM file (obituaries, personal stories related to me by family members, family poetry, etc).

Is there any way that anyone knows of, or any program that any one knows of, that can extract only certain data (Names and dates only, preferably) from these files so that I can share that information with others?

Thanks in advance for all the help! :lol:

Vince

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: GEDCOM Files/Viewers

Postby nuccia » 05 Sep 2008, 09:17

On some programs there is an option to privatize certain parts of your files..otherwise, you will need to go in and copy, cut and paste the info you want not to show up, put it in a text editor (like notepad) export the file again and then put all the information back in.

Not sure if there is another way but I would also be interested in knowing if there is.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby eyetalgal » 05 Sep 2008, 18:51

If you have the LDS program PAF5 (availabe at no fee)...You can create a report to your specs.

open your GED file with PAF5...Under 'print report' you can select 'Custom' then select the fields you wish to publish. You can save or print the report to a 'comma delimited file' which is a spreadsheetl format.

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 09 Sep 2008, 00:27

Hi Vince,

I got your pm and responded and I'm hoping that you and I have a connection. Cant' wait to hear from you!!!!!!

Return to “Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy”