Are you interested in your Italian Family History?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
MyKithandKin

Are you interested in your Italian Family History?

Postby MyKithandKin » 13 Sep 2008, 04:07

If so, please check out my website: http://www.**********.com/ or contact me via email - ******@****.com.

Thanks!

Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Are you interested in your Italian Family History?

Postby Essgee » 13 Sep 2008, 04:32

I know everyone has an opportunity to post here. But your services are being advertized on a free site that has an enormous amount of volunteers to help anyone interested in Italian Genealogy. So I would like to know what sources you have, what is your experience in Italian Genealogy....personally.

While there are often a lot of people here who do have other sites or offer other services, most still visit here and offer information and help to others all for free.

To come to a sister site, in essence, to request that you are willing to take someone off this free site and find things he may be able to find himself for a fee is a bit disconcerting. This site depends on traffic to keep it going. Adversizing is given by number of hits. When people solicit people on "free" sites to go to other sites it appears to cut into the advertizing revenue of the host site.

Am I missing something here? I think it is wrong to solicit people to fee sites on sites that provide most of that informaton for free.

If I am out of place, please feel free to delete this...but I am disturbed by this trend on a lot of places I go. If you were **SPAM** **SPAM**, it would be considered spam...I don't see the difference between that and this.

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby elba » 13 Sep 2008, 08:02

By Essgee: "....Am I missing something here? I think it is wrong to solicit people to fee sites on sites that provide most of that informaton for free.

If I am out of place, please feel free to delete this...but I am disturbed by this trend on a lot of places I go. If you were **SPAM** **SPAM**, it would be considered spam...I don't see the difference between that and this."

No Essgee, I don't think you are missing anything at all...
I'm with you all the way here.

On many genealogy sites there are members who are also the owners of 'commercial' sites. They are present 'on site' offering a modicum of free advice to members, but when it comes to a possible lucrative 'assignment' very often the person seeking answers is lured into the spiders web at first by a simple Private Message and from that point no further information will be posted as it will be dealt with (at a cost) by the commercial site.

OK - I understand that the paying site will argue that it is the members 'choice' to use their services AND that some of their services are not available on free sites such as this. BUT I feel that every avenue should be exhausted using free help and guidance before the individual decides that "from this point it is going to cost me money!"

I'm not a genealogist (I'm still learning), but I do like to try and help out with translating, and I do get people sending me PM's asking if I can help them. If I can, I do - but I do not charge. However, if a member approaches me asking if I can undertake a large translation I have to point out that I will probably charge for that. But I NEVER 'tout' for business via PM's. I might send a PM if I feel that the subject matter of a translation is likely to be 'delicate', and I will offer to translate off line...but I have never charged for such a service... Many DO!

What better font for a free 'customer base' than a site like this where with care and a bit of 'cherry picking' some lucrative work can be obtained with ease?
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Eleven » 13 Sep 2008, 13:28

I think that the people that use a forum like this, do so because they WANT to do their own genealogy, rather than hire someone.

I hope they appreciate what they have here, because when I started mine, 16 years ago, there was no internet. I had to wing it..lol I used books, pen and paper. I had lists and lists of the places I wrote to. I had nobody to help me.

In my opinion, if one needs to pay for help, their best help would come from someone in Italy, who could actually GO look for what you need. Someone in the US can only do what you can do yourself, write.

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 13 Sep 2008, 19:52

I believe this posting is SPAM. :evil: This person has not been a poster here and the message looks computer generated. Note that the poster has not replied!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 13 Sep 2008, 20:51

Dear Misbris I concur with you. These people are no better than peddlers seeking to generate tax free income while paying no overhead for advertising and luring unsuspecting inquirers iby doing initial research free and then tell themmore would ONLY COST and then there are Fees (non existent) and stamps,fare for travel etc etc and send them a bill which people can be coerced into paying. There is not much you can do if it is computer generated leaving it up to Edmondo to handle. f course if one person comes in posing as an inquirer and we can sniff him out we can all sit on his head!!!! =Peter=

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 14 Sep 2008, 02:34

Banning a poster must come directly from Edmondo, however, I will pass the message to him that most of our members concur this poster is not here to provide free lookups and participate as an active member,
but rather to generate free advirtising.
Actually, we had something similar posted here about a week or so ago.....
seems to be getting quite popular.....
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Postby Edmondo » 14 Sep 2008, 10:07

I have no problem with professional genealogists who do a lot of volunteer work and promote their extra services.

In this case the person became a member just to promote his or her service. I don't see the difference between this poster and the shoe spammers. I have banned this member like I ban all spammers. Normally a spam messages gets removed but in this case I did'nt and kept it open for this discusion to show all spammers we don't want their spam here, also not if it is genealogy spam.

If a member wants to advertise their services they can always contact me to discus what is possible and what not.

Return to “Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy”