Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
User avatar
pmarrone
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 02:28

Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby pmarrone » 01 Apr 2009, 02:40

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a biography at the moment and am trying to get info. on the legendary Italians of the 20s and 30s in Pueblo, Colorado. I'm curious if anyone has come across the name of Frank "Cheech" Vence at all. Any information you have would be very helpful. Thanks.

Best,

Paul

User avatar
iris2r
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 15:08
Location: Colorado - USA

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby iris2r » 21 Apr 2009, 15:34

Never heard of the name you mentioned. I even asked my Mom, but it didn't sound familiar.

Have you come across a Frank (Francisco) Del Fraino? Father to James Judith and Argentine. Married to Angelina Tavarozzi.

User avatar
BethW
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 48
Joined: 20 Aug 2004, 00:00

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby BethW » 21 Apr 2009, 17:49

Paul - Ellis Island shows a Francesco Palmo Vence arriving 13 Mar 1903 on the Weimar from Naples, age 18, last residence Trenta.

Iris2r - Do you know who the parents/grandparents of Frank Del Fraino or Angelina Tavarozzi were?

Thanks,
Beth

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12490
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby suanj » 21 Apr 2009, 19:49

Hi, here what I found:

1910 United States Federal Census
about Frank Veyce
Name: Frank Veyce
[Frank Vence]
Age in 1910: 24
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Brother-in-law
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Precinct 2, Pueblo, Colorado
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Gender: Male
Year of Immigration: 1903
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Frank Scarliso ( Frank Scalise) 30
Sosa Scarliso 39 (Rosa)

Maria Scarliso 6
Fallmena Scarliso 4
Toresina Scarliso 3
Rosario Scarliso 9/12
Frank Veyce 24






1920 United States Federal Census
about Frank Vence
Name: Frank Vence
Home in 1920: Precinct 13, Pueblo, Colorado
Age: 35 years
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Louise
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 80
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Frank Vence 35
Louise Vence 25
Frances Vence 7



1930 United States Federal Census
about Frank Vence
Name: Frank Vence
Home in 1930: Pueblo, Pueblo, Colorado
Age: 45
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Louise
Race: White
Occupation:

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Frank Vence 45
Louise Vence 34
Frances Vence 17



deaths:

Vence, Frank P. 87 old death date 06-18-1972
Vence, Louise 83 old death date 10-18-1978

gravestones in ROSELAWN cemetery, Pueblo, CO

I believe right the immigration records found by BethW, so he coming from Trenta town in Cosenza province, Calabria region... joining at Salvatore father in Pueblo...

hoping helpful,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12490
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby suanj » 21 Apr 2009, 20:02

maybe this are the parents and siblings:
1900 United States Federal Census
about Salvatore Vinga
Name: Salvatore Vinga
[Salvatore Vinca]
Home in 1900: Pueblo, Pueblo, Colorado
Age: 40
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Gender: Male
Immigration Year: 1896
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Rosa
Marriage Year: 1883
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 17
Residence : Pueblo City, Pueblo, Colorado
Occupation: View on Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Salvatore Vinga 40
Rosa Vinga 40
Gaspard Vinga 14
Salvatore Vinga 7
Catherine Vinga 3
Modesto Vinga 3/12


in Mar 13, 1903, a crossed trip abt M Assuntina Vence of TRENTA, joining at Francesco Scalise brother in law in Pueblo, CO
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 2616170731

so the siblings of Frank Vence, was Rosa( married Scalise), Gaspare, Salvatore jr, Catherine, M. Assuntina, Modesto, Carmela ??? emigrated in 1921 joining at Frank Vence brother in Pueblo, left the mother Maria in TRENTA...???? ) all children of Salvatore sr and Rosa Vence.....
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
pmarrone
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 02:28

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby pmarrone » 21 Apr 2009, 20:15

Thank you very much! This is very helpful. So the first name of "Veyce" is misspelled, then, right?



suanj wrote:Hi, here what I found:

1910 United States Federal Census
about Frank Veyce
Name: Frank Veyce
[Frank Vence]
Age in 1910: 24
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Brother-in-law
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Precinct 2, Pueblo, Colorado
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Gender: Male
Year of Immigration: 1903
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Frank Scarliso ( Frank Scalise) 30
Sosa Scarliso 39 (Rosa)

Maria Scarliso 6
Fallmena Scarliso 4
Toresina Scarliso 3
Rosario Scarliso 9/12
Frank Veyce 24






1920 United States Federal Census
about Frank Vence
Name: Frank Vence
Home in 1920: Precinct 13, Pueblo, Colorado
Age: 35 years
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Louise
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 80
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Frank Vence 35
Louise Vence 25
Frances Vence 7



1930 United States Federal Census
about Frank Vence
Name: Frank Vence
Home in 1930: Pueblo, Pueblo, Colorado
Age: 45
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Louise
Race: White
Occupation:

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Frank Vence 45
Louise Vence 34
Frances Vence 17



deaths:

Vence, Frank P. 87 old death date 06-18-1972
Vence, Louise 83 old death date 10-18-1978

gravestones in ROSELAWN cemetery, Pueblo, CO

I believe right the immigration records found by BethW, so he coming from Trenta town in Cosenza province, Calabria region... joining at Salvatore father in Pueblo...

hoping helpful,
suanj

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12490
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby suanj » 21 Apr 2009, 20:23

yes is transcribed wrong on ancestry.com website.. the right spell is VENCE
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
pmarrone
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 02:28

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby pmarrone » 21 Apr 2009, 22:18

Thank you so much.

By the way, his name has been mentioned during my interviews. He seems to have been a legendary figure in Pueblo, Colorado, yet I can't find a shred of information on him! None! Do you have any idea who I can talk to to get some information? It's as if he were a ghost that never existed, yet everyone in Pueblo talks about him. I can't figure it out. Thanks.

suanj wrote:yes is transcribed wrong on <a href="http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> website.. the right spell is VENCE

User avatar
iris2r
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 15:08
Location: Colorado - USA

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby iris2r » 21 Apr 2009, 23:01

Just curious what was he legendary for?

User avatar
pmarrone
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 02:28

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby pmarrone » 22 Apr 2009, 01:14

For one thing, he was the original owner of the famed Silver Moon Restaurant and Nightclub back in the 1930s. The Silver Moon was known the world over. All Puebloans back in the day remember "Cheech" Vence, but I don't know anything about him.

User avatar
BethW
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 48
Joined: 20 Aug 2004, 00:00

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby BethW » 22 Apr 2009, 01:49

There is a WWI Draft Registration card for a Frank Palmer Vence of Pueblo, Colorado. He is listed as an Italian subject, born Feb 28, 1885.
Occupation - "Soft drink Parlor"
Employer - Joe Vettr
Employment address - 242 W. 1st St., Pueblo, Colorado

User avatar
pmarrone
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 02:28

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby pmarrone » 22 Apr 2009, 02:33

Interesting. Thanks Beth.

BethW wrote:There is a WWI Draft Registration card for a Frank Palmer Vence of Pueblo, Colorado. He is listed as an Italian subject, born Feb 28, 1885.
Occupation - "Soft drink Parlor"
Employer - Joe Vettr
Employment address - 242 W. 1st St., Pueblo, Colorado

User avatar
iris2r
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 15:08
Location: Colorado - USA

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby iris2r » 22 Apr 2009, 04:25

pmarrone wrote:For one thing, he was the original owner of the famed Silver Moon Restaurant and Nightclub back in the 1930s. The Silver Moon was known the world over. All Puebloans back in the day remember "Cheech" Vence, but I don't know anything about him.




I'd be very interested in reading it after your done (buying a copy) I've always loved biographies.

User avatar
pmarrone
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 02:28

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby pmarrone » 22 Apr 2009, 06:16

It's not a biography of "Cheech" Vence, just so you know. However, many of the old-school Puebloans (now in their 80s and 90s) I've spoken to have mentioned Vence's name.

User avatar
iris2r
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 15:08
Location: Colorado - USA

Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado

Postby iris2r » 22 Apr 2009, 12:52

BethW wrote:Paul - Ellis Island shows a Francesco Palmo Vence arriving 13 Mar 1903 on the Weimar from Naples, age 18, last residence Trenta.

Iris2r - Do you know who the parents/grandparents of Frank Del Fraino or Angelina Tavarozzi were?

Thanks,
Beth




Beth
I started a new thread on this. I do know parents of Angelina but nothing on Frank Del Fraino.


Return to “Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests