Should I send money for my request??

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.

Should I send money for my request??

Postby wldspirit » 13 Apr 2009, 19:18

Since we debate this issue fairly often here at the site, I thought I would share the following from another site:

CAUTION: Before reading the old notes down below the red line, please know that things change and it is *now* best to send a request to Italy first before enclosing payment or send only a token payment to show good intentions to pay for their shipping and handling costs. Recently, I sent a request to the Province Archives in Potenza for my grandfather's Military Records. I included a personal check and International Reply Coupons. The "Archivio di Stato" filled my order, sent me photocopies of the record, returned my personal check and IRCs and told me to send them Euro or American Dollars, which I did. It had a happy ending. Lately I sent a request to an Italian Comune Stato Civile (Municipality Vital Records Office). The bookkeeper cashed my personal check using the municipality stamp & his signature. Now 12 months later my request still has not been filled. As you can see *apparently* it is best not to send payment to either but instead have them bill you. Ciao, Paula Nigro
END of CAUTION STATEMENT from Editor & continuing with original info from David Zerga

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

Return to “Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy”