*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
15 posts • Page 1 of 1

Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby nicoledkelley » 10 Nov 2009, 04:01

Hello,
My great grandfather's name is Dominick Radovich. He arrived on the Carpathia on November 24, 1913 according to his petition papers from the court house. I belong to ancestry.com and have searched Ellis Island and he is not on the list for the ship. According to family members, they believe he was part of the crew. I cannot locate this list. Does anyone know how to locate the list? National Archives?? Link to find list?
Thank you for your help,
Nicole

He was born in Sumber, Austria in 1895. This is now Croatia. Sumber is in the region of Istria.
User avatar
nicoledkelley
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 03:18

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Nov 2009, 08:39

The front page of the ellisisland.org website is where you can trace the CARPATHIA and its passengers arriving at NYC on November 24, 1913 and there is a listing of all passengers which does not include your relative Dominick Radovich (domenico?)

There is a paying website www.genealogyarchives.com which has a free 7 day offer and has listings for D. Radovich by name only but to further research you need to accept the 7 day free offer. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
 
Posts: 6219
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 19:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby suanj » 10 Nov 2009, 12:00

Hi, in 1930 census the first name is Daniel:
You have saved this record to My Ancestry (Shoebox).
You have saved this record to My Ancestry (People I'm Looking For).
This record has been added to your shoebox.
1930 United States Federal Census
about Daniel Radovich
Name: Daniel Radovich
Home in 1930: Coal, Northumberland, Pennsylvania
View Map
Age: 34
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896
Birthplace: Austria
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Martha
Race: White
Occupation:

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Daniel Radovich 34 arrival 1913; Papers application; language: Polish
Martha Radovich 29
Henry Radovich 10
Margaret Radovich 8
Francis Radovich 5
Robert Radovich 3 7/12

By WWI and WWII the first name is Domenick:
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Dominick Radovich
Name: Dominick Radovich
County: Cambria
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Austria
Birth Date: 1895
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1877828
DraftBoard: 2

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Dominick Radovich
Name: Dominick Radovich
Birth Date: 26 Dec 1895
Birth Place:
Residence: Northumberland, Pennsylvania
Roll: WW2_2139540

I searched in all sheets of Carpathia arrivals and I cannot find your Domenick; maybe the first name could be in different and he used Domenick in USA?
just a suggestion,
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 01:00
Location: Molise region, Italy

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Nov 2009, 18:33

There is a Nikala (Dominic?) Radakovic, 49 year-old male, on the Carpathia's "Record of Aliens Held for Special Inquiry" log. Since you have access to Ancestry.com, take a look at this page.. The main log entry is on this page.

This person appears to have been born in Hungary; nevertheless, any chance he could be your ancestor?
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
 
Posts: 5031
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby nicoledkelley » 10 Nov 2009, 21:00

PeterTimber wrote:The front page of the ellisisland.org website is where you can trace the CARPATHIA and its passengers arriving at NYC on November 24, 1913 and there is a listing of all passengers which does not include your relative Dominick Radovich (domenico?)

There is a paying website www.genealogyarchives.com which has a free 7 day offer and has listings for D. Radovich by name only but to further research you need to accept the 7 day free offer. =Peter=


Thank you Peter, I hope I am replying correctly since I am new to this site. I will check the website. I am certain he arrived on the SS Carpathia on Nov 24, 1913 according to his certificate of arrival and petition for naturalization. Based on what my great uncle told me, he was on the crew. There is another member in this group that is searching for the same list from the same day.....is must be missing???
User avatar
nicoledkelley
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 03:18

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby nicoledkelley » 10 Nov 2009, 21:04

Thank you for looking up this information, yes, I have this information saved below to my ancestry.com tree. He used Dominick mostly, but I did see Daniel on occasion. Probably trying to fit in! I am certain he arrived on that ship on that day according to his petition and certificate of arrival. Another member on this site is looking for the same crew list from that day I believe....I wonder where it is?? If you happen to find it, I would be very happy!!! Thank you for your help!

suanj wrote:Hi, in 1930 census the first name is Daniel:
You have saved this record to My Ancestry (Shoebox).
You have saved this record to My Ancestry (People I'm Looking For).
This record has been added to your shoebox.
1930 United States Federal Census
about Daniel Radovich
Name: Daniel Radovich
Home in 1930: Coal, Northumberland, Pennsylvania
View Map
Age: 34
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896
Birthplace: Austria
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Martha
Race: White
Occupation:

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Daniel Radovich 34 arrival 1913; Papers application; language: Polish
Martha Radovich 29
Henry Radovich 10
Margaret Radovich 8
Francis Radovich 5
Robert Radovich 3 7/12

By WWI and WWII the first name is Domenick:
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Dominick Radovich
Name: Dominick Radovich
County: Cambria
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Austria
Birth Date: 1895
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1877828
DraftBoard: 2

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Dominick Radovich
Name: Dominick Radovich
Birth Date: 26 Dec 1895
Birth Place:
Residence: Northumberland, Pennsylvania
Roll: WW2_2139540

I searched in all sheets of Carpathia arrivals and I cannot find your Domenick; maybe the first name could be in different and he used Domenick in USA?
just a suggestion,
regards,
suanj
User avatar
nicoledkelley
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 03:18

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby nicoledkelley » 10 Nov 2009, 21:08

Thank you for researching this for me. Dominick Radovich was born in 1895 in Sumber, Istria...now Croatia, it was Austria at the time. So, this cannot be him. I wonder if the National Archives would have the crew list from that day? Can anyone find the crew list? Maybe I am missing something. As I have said in my responses above, there is another member in this group looking for the same crew list from that day.

quote="johnnyonthespot"]There is a Nikala (Dominic?) Radakovic, 49 year-old male, on the Carpathia's "Record of Aliens Held for Special Inquiry" log. Since you have access to <a href="http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a>, take a look at [url=http://search.<a href="http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a>/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=7488&path=1913.11.25.Carpathia.197&sid=&gskw=&cr=1]this page.[/url]. The main log entry is on [url=http://search.<a href="http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a>/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=7488&iid=NYT715_2227-0646&fn=Nikola&ln=Radakovic&st=r&ssrc=&pid=4036220785]this page.[/url]

This person appears to have been born in Hungary; nevertheless, any chance he could be your ancestor?[/quote]
User avatar
nicoledkelley
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 03:18

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Nov 2009, 21:43

The thought occurs to me that perhaps his death certificate may contain information that may be of interest to you. There is a Dominick Radovich, born 1895 who died in 1946 and is buried in St. Edwards Cemetary in Pennsylvania. Is this of interest to you? Petertimber
~Peter~
User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
 
Posts: 6219
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 19:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Nov 2009, 22:43

I located Dominick Radovich, born Austria 1895 "registering" in Cambria County Pennsylvania on Ancestry.com on a quickie look. Does anyone know what "registering" signifies on Ancestry.com??=Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
 
Posts: 6219
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 19:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby nicoledkelley » 10 Nov 2009, 22:51

Yes, that is my great grandfather; however, I do not have his death certificate.

PeterTimber wrote:The thought occurs to me that perhaps his death certificate may contain information that may be of interest to you. There is a Dominick Radovich, born 1895 who died in 1946 and is buried in St. Edwards Cemetary in Pennsylvania. Is this of interest to you? Petertimber
User avatar
nicoledkelley
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 03:18

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby PeterTimber » 11 Nov 2009, 14:32

I thought you would like to know just for information and not very helpful for the moment about the SS Carpathia. That ship was not permitted to sail the North Atlantic during the winter months and was transferred to the Mediterranean run to NY coming from Fiume, Trieste in the headwaters of the Adriatic sea. Most likely Dominick Radovich joined the ship either at Fiume or Trieste before sailing to NYC in November, 1913.

Should youever have occasion to write to Cunard for infromationabout him as a crew member youmight find this information useful. I also found out that crew lists were not retained as a matter of course and some were salvaged but many were destroyed. The relating website is
www.mun.ca/mha/index.php

Needless to say Dominck Radovich name is not indexed. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
 
Posts: 6219
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 19:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby nicoledkelley » 11 Nov 2009, 14:56

PeterTimber wrote:I thought you would like to know just for information and not very helpful for the moment about the SS Carpathia. That ship was not permitted to sail the North Atlantic during the winter months and was transferred to the Mediterranean run to NY coming from Fiume, Trieste in the headwaters of the Adriatic sea. Most likely Dominick Radovich joined the ship either at Fiume or Trieste before sailing to NYC in November, 1913.

Should youever have occasion to write to Cunard for infromationabout him as a crew member youmight find this information useful. I also found out that crew lists were not retained as a matter of course and some were salvaged but many were destroyed. The relating website is
www.mun.ca/mha/index.php

Needless to say Dominck Radovich name is not indexed. =Peter=
Thank you for helping me look into this matter. You are right, I just looked at the Petition and it says he came from Fiume. His hometown was Sumber, Istria. I will keep looking and if you ever find the list, please let me know. Thank you so much!!!
User avatar
nicoledkelley
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 03:18

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby PeterTimber » 11 Nov 2009, 15:05

The thought occurs to me that perhaps youmight wish to constructively confirm his entry into the USA aboard the SS Carpathia by obtaining the arrival record (form 81 ) thru www.nara.gov or perhaps e-mail the NYC NARA office at Newyork.archives@NARA.gov

There a 3rd alternative is to call the NARA NYC office at 212-401-1620 and since you have the exact date of entry (November 24, 1913) an Archives staffer may check the arrivals for that day for you.

I suggest this since you have not checked the microfilm of passenger lists for ships arriving in NY on November 24,1913, requesting this search may be the trustworthy alternative to an actual passenger list. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
 
Posts: 6219
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 19:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby nicoledkelley » 11 Nov 2009, 15:27

Thank you Peter, I will try all of the above!!!!
User avatar
nicoledkelley
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 03:18

Re: Missing Crew List November 24 1913 Carpathia

Postby nicoledkelley » 23 Feb 2011, 22:43

nicoledkelley wrote:Thank you Peter, I will try all of the above!!!!


Hi Peter, I have not been on here for a long time. I will say that your information was helpful. I have not yet found a crew list, but, I did receive his alien registration forms from the office of immigration. He did arrive to this country as a seaman/crew member on that Nov. 24 1913 on the ship Carpathia. One day, I may be able to find an actual list. Thanks for your help! :-)
User avatar
nicoledkelley
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 03:18


15 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Copyright © 2014. www.ItalianGenealogy.com.