Does this annoy anyone else?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.

What was the best episode of "Who Do You Think You Are"

Sarah Jessica Parker's
No votes
Emmitt Smith's
9%
Lisa Kudrow's
No votes
Matthew Broderick's
9%
Brooke Shields'
No votes
Susan Sarandon's
82%
Spike Lee's
No votes

Total votes: 11

Squigy
Master
Master

Does this annoy anyone else?

Post by Squigy »

Genealogy is becoming fairly popular these days, I just got into it a few years ago. That is good, but I see far to many people trusting (and copying) other trees on Ancestry.com including OneWorldTree, which is really....garbage! Now Ancestry.com has all these ads that basically say, if you see it on another tree it's true. And the icing on the cake is the new show "Who Do You Thinkl You Are", that has stars like Sarah Jessica Parker researching their family trees. This will make Genealogy even more popular and, I think, add to all the unsourced trees on Ancestry.com. I don't think beginners should start at Ancestry.com, they should find out HOW to research their tree THEN start. Who agrees?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Does this annoy anyone else?

Post by wldspirit »

I have used several trees on Ancestry, however, a good genealogist always documents their own sources with primary records!!
One person who submitted a tree with some of my family listed has incorrect names, birth dates and even relationships. Had they bothered to verify information with primary records, they would have seen the obvious mistakes.
With that being said, I think the trees on Ancestry are a good source to use for clues, which you then verify for yourself.
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

wldspirit wrote:I think the trees on Ancestry are a good source to use for clues, which you then verify for yourself.
Lee
I agree with that. But only clues, not their only sources. Far too many people use them as their only sources, even though they are often times wrong. I've seen trees with people listing women as having children at 11! Some people don't even try.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Trust me, I was furious with one submitter who refused to change anything listed. She had my grandmother listed with an incorrect birth and death date...given the fact that this grandmother raised me, and I was present at her death, a day that forever changed my life, I know the day she passed away, and it surely isn't what this person has submitted!!

Most of them simply search Ancestry, take what they find and use it as their primary record without actually sending for any documentation. :?

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I have my tree on Ancestry and don't mind if someone wants to "Borrow" some of what I have. I have what I post sourced but it does not always show. Many if not most of my sources are copies of actual documents of birth/death/marriage that I have. I do not take the time to use Ancestry's mechanism for sourcing my tree other than census info or something else. I do all my sourcing in my software at home.

Ancestry is my tool to discovery. It is then up to me to determine if what I find is accurate. A lot of people don't do this. Many times I have thought I was on the right track with certain individuals but find out that I wasn't and have to remove them from the tree.

Besides, I love looking at other folks trees that they post. They may give me clues where to look next.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I have noticed (even on this site,) some posters insist that what they have found on Ancestry (with misspellings and inaccuracies) is correct even if actual documents say otherwise. Some discount manifests,censusese, etc. because of perceived discrepancies. This really hurts their efforts to find their roots.

I know that so much of what I found by serious research is at odds with family stories and what I have seen posted by others. You have no idea how long it took me to find out that the name Mulestino was actually Modestino and that my ggparents actually died in NJ, not Italy.

Same thing is true with FHC posting by church members. There is no filter at all on those postings. (I am not referring to microfilm records!!!)

The problem is most people don't know the difference between primary and secondary sources. I think part of what we do here is to educate people on how to track down the primary records and to be skeptical of what they read on the internet until they have real verification of the information.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Primary and secondary sources are what makes everything we do, hopefull, valid.

I have been backtracking on my family tree (at home) to make sure I have completed the sourcing. I work with FTM 2010 and Legacy. When they tie in Legacy to the LDS (not sure what the program is) I would like to have most of my clean up done on my tree and boy, have I found a bunch not complete.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

This is my very approach; that they become proficient enough to know how do their own research. I do not mind doing cursory research and assist with brickwall stuff or are apparently lost intheir research but when they know very well what to do I expect them to do it!!! =Peter=
~Peter~
choprjohn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by choprjohn »

lilbees does that mean you are recomending Legacy or not? I have never used it, but will if you thinks it is worth it. Thanx Johnnie
Researching IEMMA, From Cittanova, Reggio Calabria, also YEMMA & AMIE from Syracuse NY
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I think people have to understand that cross referencing is essential. I never take one document and carve it in stone. I have to to find other means or documents to "connect the dots" before anything is considered fact.

Alicia
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Choprjohn, I am not recommending "Legacy" to anyone but Legacy has some features that I like in addition to what I already have with FTM 2010. The same is true with the "My Heritage" program.

My primary program is FTM 2010. I think everyone should have some database for their family information. LDS has a great free program.

Trying to keep track of what you have found is difficult if you just rely on paper notes, etc.

lilbees
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Okay, what is going on??????????? Any program I mentioned in the above post has been hijacked. If you happen to click on any of them they take you to the programs mentioned.

Edmondo, or anyone, can you help?

lilbees
choprjohn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by choprjohn »

I am not trying to hijack anything, I am trying to ask questions from someone who is more knowlegeble than i am at this...Sorry if I offended you. Johnnie
Researching IEMMA, From Cittanova, Reggio Calabria, also YEMMA & AMIE from Syracuse NY
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

choprjohn, I was not addressing my note to you. Just click on any of the programs mentioned and they will take you to A cestry, L egacy, etc. That is what I was complaining about.

lilbees
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Libees,

I think that the computer automatically turns them into hyperlinks. For example, if I type Ancestry.com it will turn blue automatically and will refer me to that site without me doing anything else. :lol: