Does this annoy anyone else?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.

What was the best episode of "Who Do You Think You Are"

Sarah Jessica Parker's
No votes
Emmitt Smith's
9%
Lisa Kudrow's
No votes
Matthew Broderick's
9%
Brooke Shields'
No votes
Susan Sarandon's
82%
Spike Lee's
No votes

Total votes: 11

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Does this annoy anyone else?

Post by maestra36 »

I don't know why the word Spam showed up in my entry above, as I didn't type that word
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

maestra36 wrote:I don't know why the word Spam showed up in my entry above, as I didn't type that word
The forum software does that to words it considers expletives. Did you use the d-a-m-n word perhaps?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

I find Ancestry.com very valuable to my research, but as far as Italian genealogy goes, it does not provide much for the overseas records. My mother is half Italian (half her great grandparents were born in Italy), so Ancestry.com isn't so helpful on that side. But my father is of mostly colonial American ancestry, and the records available for that side are amazing. You have to be patient, though. Ancestry.com is constantly updating their records, they'll get to Italy soon enough! :wink:
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Speaking of the NBC program, "Who Do You Think You Are?", has anyone else noticed how unkind the camera is to "stars" when they are in their natural environment without benefit of professional mankeup and stage lighting?

Lisa Kudrow, in her episode a few weeks ago, looked pretty bad in my opinion, and Matthew Broderick was really showing his age on this weeks show.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Squigy wrote: You have to be patient, though. <a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> is constantly updating their records, they'll get to Italy soon enough! :wink:
They already have for the north, have you seen the tens of thousands of original Stato Civile images? They have done whole provinces up to as late as 1936, especially useful as The LDS church has not filmed most of Northern Italy.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

@Johnny

:lol:

I did notice everybody was looking a bit older. What do you think of the show, though? I think it's ok, but I find it to be overly dramatic at times.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Squigy wrote:@Johnny

:lol:

I did notice everybody was looking a bit older. What do you think of the show, though? I think it's ok, but I find it to be overly dramatic at times.
I couldn't have said it better.

The thought that comes to mind is, what is the point of this show? It is as though it was designed not to let us see that everyone has a potentially interesting story in their past - if that was the goal then why not use everyday people like you and me - but to sell Ancestry . com subscriptions. And they figured that for that, they would need some star-power.

Matthew Broderick's paternal grandfather served with the 102nd Infantry in France during WWI. As a medic. My son is currently serving with the 102nd Infantry in Afghanistan. As a medic. I have to admit, I thought that was a pretty cool coincidence. :)
Carmine

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I caught a brief glimpse of the show, wasn't really impressed.
I'm sure it will inspire thousands to sign up for Ancestry, but they made it look like a breeze, for those new to the game, doesn't really give them a game plan to go by.....if only genealogy were as simple as they make it seem. :?

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Hi Johnny.
When the UK version first showed in New Zealand there were lots of articles about it, and the premise was that it was an entertainment programme rather than a documentary.
They mentioned that a lot of British 'celebrities' were originally researched and then dumped, as their stories were too boring, with no scandal, or interesting characters. Some of the ones who had their stories told were 'lesser known' people, such as the obscure actor whose family included a load of people who died from syphilis....
Having now seen a couple of episodes of the US version, I think it is even more celebrity based, and over sentimentalised to the point of utter boredom!
Caroline.
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
mozzie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mozzie »

In Australia we have the UK version and the home grown Aussie version, I totally agree with Johnnyonthespot, wldspirit and carolinechurch's views. The seem to select the 'easier' people to research, throw many thousands of dollars at each project (Airfares, Full time research people etc), embellish any scandals, edit out the boring bits and try to pass it off as a docmentary.

David
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Ha, I guess we'll get the Aussie one here eventually, we end up with all your cast off programmes!
So, is everyone descended from criminals?!

(that's a tragic 'in' joke by the way)
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
mozzie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mozzie »

On the Jack Thompson edition of the show it was revealed he had a convict ancestor - upon learning this he replied "Australian aristocracy".
choprjohn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by choprjohn »

It didnt hurt Sarah Jessica Parker she is already a mutt. I cant believe shes a star
Researching IEMMA, From Cittanova, Reggio Calabria, also YEMMA & AMIE from Syracuse NY
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

carolinechurch wrote:Hi Johnny.
They mentioned that a lot of British 'celebrities' were originally researched and then dumped, as their stories were too boring, with no scandal, or interesting characters.
I was wondering about that. How many US celebrities did they have to go through to get a half-dozen interesting enough for the program? How did they blow off the others? Those who watch this week's episode (Friday, April 2) will have to endure Brooke Shields as she "learns" about her distant royal cousins - as if for the first time - even though details have been widely published for years:
Her paternal grandmother was Marina Torlonia (1916-1960), daughter of the Italian 4th Prince of Civitella-Cesi, an Italian aristocrat, and through him Brooke can claim descent from Henri IV, King of France, Lucrezia Borgia, and Honore I, Prince of Monaco, among others. Marina's brother, 5th Prince Alessandro (1911-1986) married the Infanta Beatriz of Spain (1909-2002), an aunt of King of Spain Juan Carlos de Borbón. Their granddaughter Sibilla Sandra Weiller (b. 12 Jun 1968), Brooke's second cousin, married in 1994 Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg (b. 1963), a younger brother of the reigning Grand Duke of Luxembourg.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000222/bio
carolinechurch wrote: Some of the ones who had their stories told were 'lesser known' people, such as the obscure actor whose family included a load of people who died from syphilis....
One year after arriving in the US, my grandfather was serving a life sentence in Maine for a murder he did not commit. Had he not been pardoned (after 5 years in state prison), my father would not have been born and thus I would not be here today. Can I get on the show?

On a side note, my wife will be spending 10 days in New Zealand next month. She is really looking forward to this visit, having heard wonderful things about your country.
Carmine

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I have watched all of the episodes so far, and the one on Brooke Shields this friday I can't wait for. I had read years ago that her paternal grandmother was a Princess and that she descended from many Royal lines, I can't wait to see more.

The show even inspired me to get back into some areas of my research I have neglected. I can't imagine the impact on some people who never have done research before. Sure it's dramatic and simplified, but I am glued from start to finish.

If you haven't watched a full episode, do so, nevermind those preview clips, they don't do the show justice.

:D