Do i give up ?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Do i give up ?

Post by carolinechurch »

Gnocchi with pesto, potatoes and green beans. So fresh and simple. I think the place I went a few times is called Trattoria Baicin - it's been years though!
There is a church up the hill which is a cat sanctuary, and the whole town is so beautiful - old faded buildings and palm trees, quite shabby, not at all flashy like some of the resorts in the area. I would so love to get back there.
All the best!
Caroline.
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There used to be no such thing as a bad restaurant in Italy. I have been absent for several years now and wonder if culinary standards have declined? =Peter=
~Peter~
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Caroline, Its sounds lovely makes me want to jump on a plane now..

Peter the Italians do it best, i have never come across a dodgy meal or bad service. I have been going to Northern Italy , for many years, and i love it, i must admit i avoid the big city's, living in London, makes you want to leave city life behind. The food has always been fresh and delicious and the service friendly and welcoming... :D
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Hdey Big Vee here I come..spats, cane and all! =Peter=[
~Peter~
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

I love going to places where you're almost not sure if it's an eating place or someone's house and you end up sitting in the kitchen listening to everyone shouting, and no menu - you have what you're given!
I have been to some appalling places too though - same thing, stay away from anywhere with a tourist menu displayed outside.
Oh, and a place in Milan which was a cross between Fawlty Towers and 'Restaurant in my Living Room' with one elderly gentleman cooking and serving about 30 people, who were clearly only there for the entertainment as the food was abysmal.
He kept screaming at the person in the kitchen (except there was no-one there) tearing open cans, and running round the restaurant with saucepans full of weird looking slop bashing it out onto plates completely randomly. Broken crockery, far too much wine and half dead from laughing!
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Caroline sounds like a place i go to .. maybe he moved here !! he is entertaining though..once my friend asked if he had chips on the menu..he replied " If you want to eat sh*t there-is-a m*cadonalds down the road" . We then ordered 2 prawn starters...chef put them on counter , owner dropped one ,yelled at waitress blaming her, then brought the other to the table and said.."you have to share!" then swig of vino, more shouting at chef , swigs of vino, the waitress in tears... i must admit it was as entertaining as watching Faulty towers...Free insult for every customer :D

Peter and very dapper you must look too sir ... :D

Vee
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Its been a while since i posted, i just wanted to say a huge, Thank you, to all for your advise,I have just got back from Camogli and i have found out my Fathers birthday, the date he died and my grand parents names...I am so happy i never gave up...i have hit so many brick walls, but thanks to the advise from you i found out what i wanted to know. I also made some new friends :),
Thank you all , Vee
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Wonderful news, Vee!

A big THANK YOU to you for keeping us updated. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Fantastic news Vee, I'm so happy for you, and well done for persevering.
It must feel wonderful having some roots in the place - and I hope you tried the gnocchi??
All the best, Caroline.
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Hi Carmine and Caroline, ive still not found out where he was born, i am still looking. It helps though, knowing his birth date. He was born in July 1902, there is another man with the same name born in 1894, worked on the same ships, but died in 1969 , buried in the same cemetery, so it got confusing. Thank you again
Yes Caroline i tried the gnocchi, more than once :) along with lots of other lovely food...i am now on a diet :)..
I really couldnt have found out what i did without your help and Advise.
Thank you again Vee