Best Websites

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
dzarello
Rookie
Rookie

Best Websites

Post by dzarello »

I have been floating around on this website for quite sometime trying to pick up some tips/pointers for my genealogy research. I hate to admit it, but I'm a NEWBIE. I was wondering what are some of the better/best websites to use for genealogy research? I used to have an account with ancestry, but I ran into to many walls. Maybe I should ask, What is the best way to get started with my Italian genealogy (besides this website, of course!)?
Researching surnames Zarello, Zarriello, and now Crusco
One of my greatest accomplishments was finding out for sure that I am of Italian descent.
My greatest mystery is finding out who Vincenzo Zarriello was.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Best Websites

Post by PeterTimber »

These two websites will start you on your way:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html
and
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

The rest of us luminaries here can assist you should you need assistance. =Peter=
~Peter~
dzarello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dzarello »

Thanks Peter.

I know this is the beginning of a long journey, but all I have is time. I appreciate the help. If you have any other pointers or advice, they would be much appreciated.

P.S. the top web address does not work.
One of my greatest accomplishments was finding out for sure that I am of Italian descent.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

dzarello wrote:Thanks Peter.
P.S. the top web address does not work.
There was an extra comma...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Ancestry is good, but in order to take advantage of all that it has to offer, you need to use a few tricks to get past the misspelling of names, otherwise you run into alot of walls!!

There are also many free sites out there, are you interested in a particular state?
If you can tell us exactly what type of site you are looking for we can provide better direction. :)

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
dzarello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dzarello »

At this point, , just anything to really get me started. I think I have a good start, thanks to a few of you here, but I need to dig alittle deeper. The main state that is going to give me trouble is Pennsylvania. Once my gggrandfather arrived in the US, him and his family settled in Penn. I think that is where I am going to have to get alot of info, but then again I dont know. Im just now learning how to do the research the RIGHT way.
seabreezes1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by seabreezes1 »

Hi -

Well the obvious great place to start is Ellis Island. Look at the original manifest very carefully. You can find relationships on both sides of the Atlantic from these. Remember, things are often misspelled. http://www.ellisisland.org/

The US city archives where people died can also be very helpful. Remember a city death record is a primary (trustworthy) source for info related to death, but secondary (untrustworthy) for births, etc..... but it provides you with clues, as do obituaries, which are on microfiche in libraries. Many obits have found their way online. And some cities or counties have put loads of original source records online, like Shelby TN. Others, tell you to write and enclose a check. I had a relative who died in a TB sanitarium. I just picked up the phone and called to verify the place and determine the date. A few days later they mailed me her death record with all sorts of information. I didn't even ask.

Marriage records, as well as birth records, from city archives are also fascinating. And WWII military records are nice primary sources, as are any license application.

SSDI is also helpful.... but not 100% trustworthy. http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

Then there are the regional LDS libraries. Like in Ancestry, look for source material rather than derivatives which can be riddled with errors.

Family Search, with which you may already be familiar, is very good, too. http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... html#start

If you have an unusual name, use an online phone book and see if you find a person with that name in that locale who could be a descendant. Write. Of course, be prepared to identify yourself really well so that they don't think it's a scam. Offer them information to confirm your identity & relationship. See if you know a relative who also knows them.

The #1 RIGHT thing to do is to document your sources. #2 - don't publicly share DOB about anyone living, or publicly publish anything you aren't 98% sure of. #3 Admit humility. We all make mistakes.
Karen
Sicilian Family: Favazza, Favaloro, LoChirco, Russo
Lombard Family: Aspesi, Morosi, Ferrazzi, Zocchi, Caru
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I like ancestry.com. Of course as mentioned, its like being a detective but thats the fun of it. When youve been searching for a document or lead for so long and keep at it and finally find it, its like you won the lottery, lol!

Alicia
seabreezes1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by seabreezes1 »

See ITALIANS-PA. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in people of Italian descent living in Pennsylvania. To subscribe send "subscribe" to italians-pa-l-request@rootsweb.com (mail mode) or italians-pa-d-request@rootsweb.com (digest mode).
Karen
dzarello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dzarello »

Thank you all for your input. I will put it to good use.

Another question that I have is how do you seperate the facts from fiction? I know misspellings are very common, but dates, names, ages, family. That is where I keep running into the walls. Even on some papers you will see what you think is the correct name, dob, family and then you stumble on another piece of paper with a different spelling, dob off by one or two months, and added/deleted family members (sorry about the run-on). So frustrating and confusing :? .
seabreezes1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by seabreezes1 »

But it's the chase, that's the thing, Watson. Sometimes they just didn't know the right day. I notate my entries when there's a discrepancy. But sometimes there's a story..... such as a young man lying about his age to get a job.

Throughout his long life Gaspare switched back and forth between a YOB of 1854 & 1857, but was consistent with the month and day. "Legal" self-reported immigration & passport records list 1857 which is correct, but other records all say 1854, which is what his family believes and is on his gravestonr. He lived into his 90s no matter which YOB you use.

Don't sweat it. What does it really matter if your ancestor's Italian birth certificate says he was born on Jan 18, 1865 and all his American records say he was born on Feb 9, 1865? Or even if the year is off, although that requires careful examination to verify it is the right person. But if you verify the parents and siblings, and know it's the right person.... it doesn't really matter. Just footnote it.
Karen
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

The more records you obtain on each person the more you will uncover the truth. I am as far back as the late 1700s with my family in Italy and their stories are unfolding in front of me. You ALWAYS have to cross reference over and over again. I try to get all censuses, draft cards, birth, marriage death certificate,ship manifests, naturalization papers and social security applications on everyone so I have several ways of seeing whats fact or fiction.

Alicia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

D. Zarrello I think your biting off more than you can chew...don't worry about discrepancies since they resolve themselves as you go along and learn whats relevant and whats BS! =Peter=
~Peter~
dzarello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dzarello »

Peter--You are probably right. I guess I just need to start researching and see what I find.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or secrets to share with a newbie or according to my status, I am now a ROOKIE.

I am heading to my local LDS library to see what I can uncover. I will keep you posted. Wish me luck!! :wink:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

This is why we are here....to pluck you out of the water, and spin you in the right direction. There are so many useful hints that we could all write a book each!!! =Peter=
~Peter~