Who Do You Think You Are? Season 2

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Squigy
Master
Master

Who Do You Think You Are? Season 2

Post by Squigy »

Hi, everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone else has been watching this season of Who Do You Think You Are?

I honestly think it's getting better. Vanessa Williams' episode was pretty interesting. I didn't really like the Tim McGraw one, especially that part at the end when he was telling his hippie uncle about the "Elvis connection" (I use quotes, because there was no real connection). It really seemed forced.

I also thought the Rosie O'Donnell's episode was pretty good (one of the best in the series, actually). Having some Irish heritage myself, it was interesting to see how bad things actually were in Ireland at the time.

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's opinion on this season.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
cargor
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? Season 2

Post by cargor »

I have been watching all of the series so far. I liked all of the shows but like you, I thought the part about the Elvis Presley ancestors on the same boat connection was off the mark. I just wish that they would pick an "un-celebrity" and follow their family tree for a change. I would be more interested in a show like that. Maybe it would inspire more people to trace their own roots.
Surnames searching for are Pollastri, DeSantis, DeAmicis, Napoleone, DeLauretis.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

cargor wrote:I have been watching all of the series so far. I liked all of the shows but like you, I thought the part about the Elvis Presley ancestors on the same boat connection was off the mark. I just wish that they would pick an "un-celebrity" and follow their family tree for a change. I would be more interested in a show like that. Maybe it would inspire more people to trace their own roots.

I completely agree, they should have non-celebrities on there. Who knows, they may do that eventually. They might just be using famous people to get the show off the ground, you know?
My Italian surnames:

Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

If you haven't seen the PBS series, "African American Lives" and "African American Lives 2," catch the episodes when they reair or see if you can borrow them from you local library. There are eight one hour episodes on two discs.

Like "Who Do You Think You Are," the series traces the genealogy of famous personalities, but I've enjoyed the approach and scholarship more than the "Who Do You Think You Are" series, and Henry Louis Gates, Jr. is a marvelous, witty, and intelligent narrator/host.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Biff83 wrote:If you haven't seen the PBS series, "African American Lives" and "African American Lives 2," catch the episodes when they reair or see if you can borrow them from you local library. There are eight one hour episodes on two discs.

Like "Who Do You Think You Are," the series traces the genealogy of famous personalities, but I've enjoyed the approach and scholarship more than the "Who Do You Think You Are" series, and Henry Louis Gates, Jr. is a marvelous, witty, and intelligent narrator/host.

Biff
Looks interesting. Season 2 is on Netflix online streaming. Looks like I have something to do tonight!
My Italian surnames:

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Biff thanks for the heads up on that one! Looks like I will have to watch it. So far I would have to say the Rosie O'Donnell episode has been the best yet. I enjoyed the story, history and listening to her ask questions relevant to her search. I also liked how she outlined a goal for her research and followed through on it. It was nice too how she researched the same branch in her tree all the way back to Ireland. Nicely done.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

nuccia wrote:Biff thanks for the heads up on that one! Looks like I will have to watch it. So far I would have to say the Rosie O'Donnell episode has been the best so far. I enjoyed the story, history and listening to her ask questions relevant to her search. I also liked how she outlined a goal for her research and followed through on it. It was nice too how she researched the same branch in her tree all the way back to Ireland. Nicely done.
Agreed. I also liked how she didn't make it look so easy like some of the others have done. I think the show is getting better. Kim Cattrall's episode looks interesting, too.
My Italian surnames:

CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CowryShells »

A different series, which I think is excellent and very thoughtfully done, is called Generations Project. You can watch full episodes of the series here: http://www.byutv.org/thegenerationsproj ... es/?ep=103

These are not about celebrities and the programs are not an advertisement for Ancestry. Instead, they get to the heart of what looking into one's family history can mean.
cargor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cargor »

Cowryshells, thank you for letting us know about this genealogy program. I know I will be watching the shows tomorrow during the wintry weather we will be having here. Nothing better than watching genealogy programs while the snow, sleet and rain is coming down. :D
Surnames searching for are Pollastri, DeSantis, DeAmicis, Napoleone, DeLauretis.
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CowryShells »

Cargor,
You are welcome! I hope your Internet connection stays steady and strong regardless of the weather.

Enjoy the shows!
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Did anyone see Kim Cattrall's episode? I have to say, I didn't like this one. For one, it wasn't genealogy, it was more like an exposé on the seedy life her grandpa lived. Cattrall was just bitter throughout, I mean, understandably, but still it made it almost depressing.

Another thing was how FAKE it was. One part that really killed me was when she got on Ancestry.com and was acting like she found out all this stuff from a family tree, even though you could clearly see "Cattrall Family Tree" in the upper left corner. Whether the show set the tree up or she did, that clearly wasn't the real source of her information. And then there was when she called Maisie, she didn't even say where she lived when she told her she could stop by. That was clearly staged. Oh and then there was the way they kept trying to "English it up" by constantly mentioning tea.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Some parts were interesting, but all in all, I think that was the worst episode of the whole show.

P.S.

A side note, did anyone notice how almost everyone who goes on that show says "I feel like I came full circle" or "and that really is a great gift"?
My Italian surnames:

Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

CowryShells wrote:A different series, which I think is excellent and very thoughtfully done, is called Generations Project. You can watch full episodes of the series here: http://www.byutv.org/thegenerationsproj ... es/?ep=103

These are not about celebrities and the programs are not an advertisement for Ancestry. Instead, they get to the heart of what looking into one's family history can mean.
Cowry,

Wow, after one episode (Lumina) I can tell that's a much better show. It doesn't feel staged to me at all, like Who Do You Think You Are does, and really gives you a much better idea of what genealogy is like (especially for beginners). Thanks so much for linking it!!
My Italian surnames:

Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Squigy wrote:Did anyone see Kim Cattrall's episode? I think that was the worst episode of the whole show.
Agreed. It was worse than horrible. And also agreed that the Generations Project is much better.

I just finished rewatching the PBS series African American Lives I mentioned previously, and enjoyed it even more the second time around.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Biff83 wrote: I just finished rewatching the PBS series African American Lives I mentioned previously, and enjoyed it even more the second time around.

Biff
Oh, yeah, I forgot! I haven't watch that yet, I'll have to tonight.

As for Kim Cattrall's episode, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated it. The forced drama of that shows drives me crazy. That's something I liked about The Generations Project, it felt much more realistic.
My Italian surnames: