Best DNA Testing Company?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Best DNA Testing Company?

Post by JamesBianco »

I was wondering for those of you who have submitted swabs for DNA testing, which company would be the largest and/or most respectable? I decided I really want to do this, and would love to hear any experiences anyone might have.

Thanks!
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Best DNA Testing Company?

Post by Squigy »

JamesBianco wrote:I was wondering for those of you who have submitted swabs for DNA testing, which company would be the largest and/or most respectable? I decided I really want to do this, and would love to hear any experiences anyone might have.

Thanks!
That's so funny!! I was just on a DNA website TODAY. I'm considering getting one, too.

I'm leaning towards 23AndMe. It seems to provide interesting data, it's fairly cheap (now only one payment of $99, plus $9 a month for a year), and being endorsed by Ancestry.com, is reliable (actually, they were parterns at one time, I'm not sure if they still are).

I'd still like to hear other suggestions, however. Another one that looks good is FamilyTreeDNA.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
cargor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cargor »

Hi...my husband has used the FAMILYTREE DNA site. They are now offering 37 marker tests for the paternal side [Y-DNA]which costs $169.00, 67 markers =268.00 and a new 111 marker test for 359.00 No matter which company you use, it gets expensive because it is so addicting [just like genealogy]. As time goes on,you will want to order more tests in order to find people who are related to you. I would check out their website and read their forums for information. Its fun though!
Surnames searching for are Pollastri, DeSantis, DeAmicis, Napoleone, DeLauretis.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Thanks Squigy and Cargor, I think I will go for the 111 marker test! I just wonder what sort of information that will give. I did the Sorensen free DNA test for my mtdna but have no idea what the results mean.

Would you say the company FAMILYTREEDNA helps you understand the results adequately?
cargor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cargor »

There is a lot of information to learn about genetics but there are many people on the forums who could guide you and give answers. My husband has only done up to 37 markers so far but my aim is to do the 111 marker test also [you can upgrade from 37 or 67 markers for a cheaper price since some of the work has been done already]. The 111 marker test is brand new. The other new test is the Familyfinder test which a lot of people are doing but it sounds like they are still working the bugs out on that one. It gives a lot of information I believe on the paternal and maternal sides. If you do the 111 Y-DNA test, I would be curious to see how you like it and how many results you match to other people. It may take a while before the database gets large enough, where others order that many markers. Good-luck!
Surnames searching for are Pollastri, DeSantis, DeAmicis, Napoleone, DeLauretis.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I did some research and found Familytreedna (appears) to be one of the most respected of them all. I just ordered the Super DNA test.. this is what it says:

Comprehensive Genome
Close info...

For males only. This is the combination Family Finder, plus a male specific Y-chromosome test and a Full Mitochondrial Sequence (FMS), the most comprehensive and highest resolution mtDNA test. Results identify the ethnic and geographic origin of the maternal and paternal lines. Matches for the Y-DNA67 and the Full Mitochondrial Sequence (FMS) tests indicate a recent common ancestor in the paternal and maternal lines respectively between you and your match. The Family Finder Test helps you find family across all your lines, up to 6 generations back, by checking hundreds of thousands of points in your autosomal DNA, and comparing your results with others in the Family Finder database. The customer will be able to download and print a personalized certificate and report.
kamsonr

Post by kamsonr »

I have had 3 DNA tests...by far DNA Tribe is the best....Ancestry.com is a waist of money!

Rosa