Virtual Tour of Towns in Italy

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Virtual Tour of Towns in Italy

Postby giapetto » 24 Aug 2011, 20:10

I just had a virtual tour of Spadola, Provincia di Vibo Valencia courtesy of Google Maps. This feature (street view) is not new but I was surprised to find that it works for some very small towns in Italy. It takes a little dexterity to navigate, but it is the next best thing to being there. Use Google Maps to find your town or comune, zoom in until the streets are visible, then drag the little person icon on the upper left of the map to the street where you want to start your tour - the icon will go to the closest street if the one you chose is not in the tour. Then you can see the street, rotate 360 degrees using the compass on the upper right corner, move forward, left, right and back using the arrows on the bottom of the picture or the ovals that appear on the street as you move your mouse. I was able to see the store that my father's cousin owned and the fountain on Via Fontana that I saw 40 years ago. The town's two side by side churches were visible, but the cameras did not go up the hill for a good view. Enjoy this feature! Buon Viaggio!
Researching DeFrancesco, Carlino from Spadola, Provincia di Vibo Valencia and Polistina, Provincia di Reggio Calabria; Daversa from Accadia, Provincia di Foggia and Nesta from Leone, Provincia di Avellino.
giapetto

Re: Virtual Tour of Towns in Italy

Postby Squigy » 25 Aug 2011, 01:37

giapetto wrote:I just had a virtual tour of Spadola, Provincia di Vibo Valencia courtesy of Google Maps. This feature (street view) is not new but I was surprised to find that it works for some very small towns in Italy. It takes a little dexterity to navigate, but it is the next best thing to being there. Use Google Maps to find your town or comune, zoom in until the streets are visible, then drag the little person icon on the upper left of the map to the street where you want to start your tour - the icon will go to the closest street if the one you chose is not in the tour. Then you can see the street, rotate 360 degrees using the compass on the upper right corner, move forward, left, right and back using the arrows on the bottom of the picture or the ovals that appear on the street as you move your mouse. I was able to see the store that my father's cousin owned and the fountain on Via Fontana that I saw 40 years ago. The town's two side by side churches were visible, but the cameras did not go up the hill for a good view. Enjoy this feature! Buon Viaggio!

Oh, yes. I love this feature! I, too, was surprised at how many of the small towns they had on there. I was able to see the churches my great grandparents went to, and even some of their homes (the addresses were listed on their vital records, and many are still standing to this day).

Personally, I hate to see people complaining about the privacy of this. It's real an amazing tool. I love exploring my ancestral comuni, so I hope they do keep these images available.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Virtual Tour of Towns in Italy

Postby wldspirit » 26 Aug 2011, 10:12

Love the link, I must of "explored" my entire ancestral village! Thanks for sharing that, I wasn't aware that google maps offered that feature!! :lol:

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy