Trip To Italy

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
demari18
Elite
Elite

Trip To Italy

Post by demari18 »

My husband and I planning a trip to Italy next year with 2 grandchildren ages 8 and 11. Thinking of starting in Venice for 2 days, then taking the train to Florence for 2 days, renting a car and taking a side trip to Pisa, then on to an agrifarm with a pool near Todi for 3 days, then on to Rome and with a trip to Pompeii. Looking for suggestions if this seems doable with children. Their parents will also be on the trip.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Trip To Italy

Post by Italysearcher »

At 8 my Grandson was not that impressed with Rome. But he did like Italy. He stayed with us for 4 months, enjoyed playing in the park at midnight, the music and festas, the castles. History wasn't big on his list.
Depends on the kids. That's a lot of travel days. Pompeii is quite a drive from Rome. My bet is that Venice and the farm will be the highlights for them. Italy is all about culture, art, and history, at least in the tourist cities. Not that much for kids. There is an amusement park just outside Rome (not Disneyworld but should do the trick) in Valmontone. There is a wave pool in Frosinone (probably other places as well) but you don't have a lot of time for this type of entertainment I am sure.
This site might help
http://goitaly.about.com/od/familytrave ... h-kids.htm
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
demari18
Elite
Elite

Post by demari18 »

Thank you so much for your help - What you said was in the back of my mind.
claudio2574
Rookie
Rookie

Post by claudio2574 »

Two years ago I went to Venice with my daughter, 7 years. I was sure that the city on the water would have impressed her.
No way.
I was really disappointed about it. Now, at 9, she is starting some interest for the historical things, so we had a pleasant two-days trip to Siena (much smaller and enjoiable than Florence) and several flash tours to Rome (we live close to Rome).
I suppose it depends on the kid too much to imagine the outcome.
Non chi comincia ma quel che persevera
demari18
Elite
Elite

Post by demari18 »

Dear Claudio,
Thank you for your helpful post about my planned trip. I have been thinking that a simple trip would hold better memories for the children than an all over the place trip - Thanks again - demari