Are death records in maiden names?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
misschristi16
Master
Master

Are death records in maiden names?

Post by misschristi16 »

I read once that most italian records are done with their maiden name. So, I was wondering, if I am searching for my ggrandmother-- Maria Di Paola who married Pietro Pinto, would her death record be in her Di Paola name or Pinto name?

Thanks!
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Are death records in maiden names?

Post by erudita74 »

misschristi16 wrote:I read once that most italian records are done with their maiden name. So, I was wondering, if I am searching for my ggrandmother-- Maria Di Paola who married Pietro Pinto, would her death record be in her Di Paola name or Pinto name?

Thanks!

She'd be under Di Paola in her death record. Italian women retained the surname of their fathers or what we in the U.S. refer to as a "maiden name."

Erudita
misschristi16
Master
Master

Post by misschristi16 »

That helps alot. Thanks. All this time I was wondering, but did not know for sure.
Does it mention in the death record the name of their spouse?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

misschristi16 wrote:That helps alot. Thanks. All this time I was wondering, but did not know for sure.
Does it mention in the death record the name of their spouse?
You just never know what info you will get until you find the record. It should mention the name of the last spouse,if there was more than one. Occasionally you get the names of all spouses and all surviving children, but I've only seen the names of surviving children in a handful of records.
Erudita
magbag1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magbag1 »

I just read this post and it is very helpful to know for when I go looking for my great grandparent's, parents in Italy. I have no idea of what their names are at this point.

Thank you,
Margaret
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Surviving (or deceased) spouses are not always listed on old Italian death records. And death records everywhere are often filled with incorrect information, since the people reporting the death might not have known things like the person's exact age or mother's surname. This was especially true if the deceased was very old or born in another town, but even the death records of children often get their ages or names wrong. Unlike in modern times, usually the person reporting the death was not a close relative.