names missing from gravestone

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
kidalot2

names missing from gravestone

Postby kidalot2 » 20 Mar 2016, 19:10

my grandfather had a brother and 3 sisters. all emigrated to the US at the same time in the early 1900's. i know their families. they were at family reunions. all pretty much lived on the same street in my hometown. When i discovered that my great grandmother emigrated, i looked up her cemetery plot and gravestone. to my surprise her stone said "ricordo dei figli" and then the names of 3 of her 5 children. i dug around to see if the other 2 names were underneath, but didn't see the names. any idea why only 3 of the children would be named?

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: names missing from gravestone

Postby liviomoreno » 28 Mar 2016, 10:30

Maybe the other 2 passed away before her

kidalot2

Postby kidalot2 » 28 Mar 2016, 17:42

thanks, liviomoreno, but i knew one of the daughters, and the other daughter died long after my great grandmother.

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 30 Mar 2016, 16:17

Have you checked with the cemetery office to determine if these other two daughters were indeed buried in the same plot? Gravesites often only hold a certain number of individuals, and so these two daughters could have been buried in other plots, along with other relatives, even if their names don't appear on those tombstones either. If they were buried where you think they should be, then it's possible that whoever was handling the burial at the time simply did not have their info engraved on the tombstone. Possibly there wasn't sufficient room on the tombstone for their info to be added. Also cemeteries do not automatically have names and dates engraved on gravestones, so if a family member did not take the initiative to have that info engraved on the stone, it may not have been. Possibly, at the time of these deaths, the family could simply not afford the additional expense to have the info engraved on the stone. I would call the office of the cemetery in question, as the people who work there might be helpful in replying to your question.
Erudita

kidalot2

Postby kidalot2 » 30 Mar 2016, 18:28

http://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/image/n ... ient=Trees. wanted to see if i could copy the picture, but it is not appearing on the preview. anyway, the plot and appears to be, the stone were purchased and possibly made by the husband of my great grandmother's cousin. as this happened in 1924, there is no one left to ask and the only information i got from the cemetery was the receipt of who bought the plot. to me, it will always be an unsolved mystery. most of my remaining family did not even know where she was buried, so the why's and if's were lost on them, too. just thought maybe there was something obvious i was missing in the translation of the stone's message or a tradition i didn't know about.

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 06 Apr 2016, 14:00

In looking at the photo of the gravestone, I can see that there wasn't room for additional names to be carved on it. I still know that the cemetery office should have a list of who was buried there. At the very least, someone in that office should be able to tell you how many burials that particular gravesite was able to accommodate.
Erudita

kidalot2

Postby kidalot2 » 06 Apr 2016, 20:58

thank you, erudita. i should have made myself clearer. i knew 4 of the 5 children and know where all are buried. they're not there with my great grandma. thanks for looking at the stone. i saw, too, that there was no room and thought perhaps the base was added after the names were there. that would be the only logical solution to why there are 3 of the 5 children named. i've handled the stone and it doesn't look like that, but for lack of any other reason i guess i'll accept that.

Return to “Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy”