Ancestry.......

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Ancestry.......

Post by Eleven »

I just brought this subject up on some other forum. Only I was looking to copy the manifest in its tiny form and have some program bring it up as clearly as we saw the magnified copies on the site. I concluded..that cant be done. Those tiny copies turn into chicken scratch when magnified big enough to see words.

I have been copying records of this type, before I had a computer. I began genealogy 14 years ago and even at the NYC public library, we had to insert the film, then print one section at a time. I have done the same when we got the ellis site, online.

I dont have print screen, but am using a screen capture program. I can capture what ever I draw a box around..be it the entire screen or a portion. Most of my records, are in 4 parts, since you have to capture, then scroll over, capture that..then scroll over, etc.

I also wanted to be able to save the record as a whole, not to print, but just to be able to view it easier.

We are used to viewing things in part, but when you show these things to someone..its difficult to explain to them..that all 4 of these files contain the info for one person, its just viewing further down the line of their entry. Scrolling, would make this more understandable.

Anyway..if you cant print the screen, you can search the net for a screen capture program. Mine is called "hard copy" and it is free. Its easy to use..you choose new, draw the box..then use the save as option. But, of course, you have to take the manifest in 4 bmps. You can then use a converter program to change those bmps to jpg or gif...if file size is important to you. I leave them as is, to be sure the quality remains and doesnt get washed out in a convert.

Anyway..if anyone comes across some program that would actually let us get a file, in one piece, just as clear as the magnified online copy, I would be interested in that, too.

JayGee
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Good morning jay gee!

Nice to see you!!! :D :D :D

I was just reading your post and thought I recognized the subject...

I'm going to look into your suggestion and check out some programs.

nuccia :D
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

These programs work well..the only problem is, you need to take the manifest in 4 parts.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

eleven,

My kids just showed how to use print screen on my computer. I always thought it didn't work but actually it does. We didn't have time to really play with it much becasue we had to go out but if you have paint then you would open that program. Then you would go to the page you want to capture (the ellis island enlarge manifest) and click the print screen key. Go back to paint and do control v and the page appears. The bad part is you have to do it in parts as well but you can use the edit options to paste it together. I personally wouldn't use it for this..I'd use the method we talked about the other night but this option would be good for other sites.

Just wanted to let you know...

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Is it me or is Ancestry buying the rights to almost every significant database that has been digitized, I swear I wouldn't be surprised if they obtain rights to the Ellis Island manifests!

So many of the databases that used to be free on Rootsweb (Like The California birth records) are now under Ancestry's cloak, it's becoming a monopoly. I had to join (at least the 14 day trial) because without a subscription or help (from all the wonderful people here) I am lost.

Sorry for the rant, It's just kind of sad how everything is on Ancestry.

:(
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

James while it is sad in some ways its also wonderful that someone is at least putting all that info somewhere where it can actually be accessed in one page so to speak. When I chose to purchase ancestry I was terrified to tell my husband the cost..$400. for the world subscription and I can't even find most of my family! I'm too close to actually see "them". But it has been great for helping people...thats all I use it for really.

Christmas is coming and I'm saving up..struggling actually to renew my subscription and using the excuse that it can be my Xmas present.

Maria has told you and I'll remind you again..if you ever need anything looked up, just ask. Its here and we really don't mind.. :D

And you can rant if you want..its ok. I just took the survey ancestry asked me to take and it comes up from time to time. I usually answer based not only on what I think but what others thick..this is how the make their improvements. So say what you think..it helps..

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Very true......and while I can appreciate the content, but not the price... :?
I am a firm believer in transcribing and publishing material for free....I encourage anyone who is truly interested in genealogy to grab material from the local library or genealogy society and volunteer your time to work on a project.

I am currently transcribing an entire city of street names and ED districts for the Steve Morse site, and I've done two cemeteries...it's a win situation for all........
wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I am currently transcribing an entire city of street names and ED districts for the Steve Morse site, and I've done two cemeteries...it's a win situation for all........
wldspirit
Can you tell us a little bit more about this project and how its going? I know we touched on it a bit earlier on but it would be great to hear more. When I read what was involved I was a bit concerned that I would be too comfused..didn't understand it much. :oops:

Is it worth trying and do you have to commit to a certain amount of time to help work on it?

nuccia
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

At first it was a bit confusing, but the database is very easy to use,... both Steve and Joel have provided great support in way of direction and in answering personal email.

All that is really done is taking the Ed's from an image for your target city, and placing both the Ed and the street names within that Ed into a database.

The purpose is best stated by the site itself:

That means the only way that the 1940 census can be searched initially is by address. Unfortunately the census is not organized by address but rather by something called an Enumeration District (ED). If you don’t know the ED, you cannot access the census. So we need some aid for converting addresses to EDs.

That’s what this project is all about. We will be providing a web-based utility that allows people go from an address to an ED for all cities of 50,000 or more in the 1940 census.

There are no deadlines to meet....I worked on my images/database a little at a time.......I have finished all but my corrections and will be ready to submit.

wldspirit
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

Sounds cool - I took a quick look at that a while back. Problem is I've got a lot on my plate right now - particularly with the Genealogy Site stuff ... maybe as we get closer to a stopping point ...