Italian/Sicilian Cuisine!

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
KorB

Italian/Sicilian Cuisine!

Post by KorB »

I would love to hear about some of your favorite Italian recipes passed down in your families. Or just some of your favorite Italian foods. My mom did not like cooking, so very little was passed down to me. Food is one of the most enduring and fun pieces of a culture.

One recipe that was passed down is cooking pasta with stew meat and large stew bones. I believe this was called Ragusa.

:o
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Italian/Sicilian Cuisine!

Post by wldspirit »

My absolute favorite is a holiday dish, made at Easter and Christmas..........occasionally for birthdays......it is called Cappelletties,
if that is even the correct spelling......meaning little hats.....filling is put into the pasta, folded into a triangular shape and dropped into a brodo.......the taste is divine!!
It takes a full three days to make this, and there must be many hands at the kitchen table to help fill and fold all the cappelletties.......
My children have been filling and folding since age four.....
Now am I ever hungry......... :wink:
wldspirit
joyesler

Re: Italian/Sicilian Cuisine!

Post by joyesler »

My favorite was my grandmother's cuzzupe / Easter bread. For the adults she would shape them in the traditional rings. Yet for the children she would shape them into rabbits or purses.

Yet anything my grandmother cooked or baked was amazing!