Search found 24 matches

by OmertaSiciliana
30 Dec 2004, 03:54
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Sicilian dialect
Replies: 73
Views: 88227

Re: Sicilian dialect

Well, I know you can write "iddu teni..." meaning "he has", but I've seen people write "iddu avi" to mean possession of an item. Would this be wrong? [Sorry that I keep asking, I just don't get it.] :roll:
by OmertaSiciliana
30 Dec 2004, 02:14

Thanks Peter! Always helpful, as usual 8) I think it's really a shame that not so many people here speak Sicilian. All the websites I could find about the language teach verb forms and such, but no one bothers to post anything about simple phrases, and the obvious things people want to know. I remem...
by OmertaSiciliana
29 Dec 2004, 03:32

Actually the bedda thing makes sense. In Spanish most often we pronounce "bella" like "BAY-gia", kind of like a J. Both languages have some similarities, so ... I get it. :lol:
by OmertaSiciliana
29 Dec 2004, 03:27

Ciau Audra! Bona sugnu iu, comu stai tu? Argh. Nun pozzu parràri siciliànu. Haha. Actually I was wondering something. I was going to write to some people in Sicily who I think are relatives. I figure I'd write to them just to see if we're related. I suppose it would make logical sense to write...
by OmertaSiciliana
28 Dec 2004, 03:42

I've been studying Sicilian for awhile now. I find it's helpful to read Sicilian poetry with English translations. I pick up the words pretty quickly. Also, I just realized something. AgrigentoSicula --- lol, I'm Keri [gmasterdisaster]. Tell me something though. Is bedda pronounced that way in all d...
by OmertaSiciliana
13 Nov 2004, 17:23
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Savoca Family
Replies: 0
Views: 2809

Savoca Family

I don't know if it's possible to find out this information. My last name is Savoca and I've traced my family back 5 generations to Castiglione di Sicilia in Catania, Sicily. I know now that there is a Savoca family in Catania [Caltagirone] that owns the Gigliotto Estate [www.gigliotto.com]. Is there...
by OmertaSiciliana
09 Nov 2004, 19:00
Topic: busco datos de mi abuelo italiano
Replies: 7
Views: 14632

Re: busco datos de mi abuelo italiano

Hay muchas cosas que puede hacer. Catanzaro es un pueblo en el sur de Italia, en Calabria. Puede escribir al pueblo y pregunta por documentos del nacimiento o otros documentos. También puede mirar por documentos en un sitio web, como certificados de matrimonio o de nacimiento. Tiene que pagar per...
by OmertaSiciliana
23 Sep 2004, 22:57
Topic: Professional Genealogy Research Help!
Replies: 136
Views: 99648

Re: Professional Genealogy Research Help!

I'd be very interesting. Contact me as soon as information is available. :lol:
by OmertaSiciliana
15 Aug 2004, 23:24
Topic: Francesco Battaglia, Emanuela Bellassai, Ragusa, Sicily
Replies: 8
Views: 10492

Re: Francesco Battaglia, Emanuela Bellassai, Ragusa, Sicily

Thanks again, Peter! You always help so efficiently.

I'm going to send that letter, and probably go to the Family History Library as well, for additional research. Thanks so much! :wink: :D
by OmertaSiciliana
15 Aug 2004, 16:30

I think it will be easier to make the actual trip to the library, seeing as my Italian is horrible. If I wrote them a request for a birth certificate, they probably would not understand what I'm trying to say. Most likely, I will go to the Elmhurst Family research library. Thanks again, Peter!
by OmertaSiciliana
15 Aug 2004, 05:51

Thank you for the advice, Peter. Is there a way I could send them a letter, because I'm not sure where the nearest one is. In fact, I'm not sure where any of them are. Could I email them or send a letter in the mail?
by OmertaSiciliana
15 Aug 2004, 01:37

Sorry for being so vague, I forgot to mention that I do have all their Ellis Island records, if that is any help. The family came here on Dec 16 1916, on the Giuseppe Verdi which departed from Naples. Other than that, my research is not progressing well at all :-(
by OmertaSiciliana
15 Aug 2004, 01:31

Francesco Battaglia, Emanuela Bellassai, Ragusa, Sicily

I'm looking for information on my great-great grandparents, Francesco Battaglia [born Nov 29, 1863] and Emanuela Bellassai [born Jan 18, 1864], both from Ragusa, Sicily. They had 7 kids: Giovanina, Giuseppe and Giovanni [twins], Santina, Giulietta, Concetta, and another Giovanni. I wanted to know if...
by OmertaSiciliana
29 Jul 2004, 18:33

Yep, those are phrases I hear quite a lot in my house, and it's always, "Keri! Don't say that!" Haha. Well once again Peter, thanks for your help. I always look things up too but my Italian isn't that great so it's hard for me to search on Italian sites. Thanks again.
by OmertaSiciliana
28 Jul 2004, 15:20

Thanks again Peter, you seem to know just about everything!!
If I had the money, I'd probably LIVE in Sicily, but I don't. Either way, this language isn't that hard at all, now that I look at it.
To anyone else who's trying to learn Sicilian - good luck, and it's pretty easy!