Search found 33 matches

by acamma
22 Feb 2005, 20:23
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Italians and slavery in the US
Replies: 11
Views: 36598

Re: Italians and slavery in the US

This is the scenario I have found on looking at some census materials with my last name(s). From talking to someone else years ago outside the genealogy area but an expert on the slave issue and the aftermath of the that tragedy most slaves due to how they were brought here or how families were spli...
by acamma
20 Feb 2005, 22:19
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Italiangealogy.com is an awesome sight
Replies: 5
Views: 4956

Re: Italiangealogy.com is an awesome sight

I think the biggest thing is other nationalities do not have this type of quality site so it shows how far ahead the members who have been with this from the beginning or for a long time have made it so good for those of us new users. It is too bad there are not similiar sites in other nationalities.
by acamma
14 Feb 2005, 22:28
Topic: Passenger arrivals into Boston; some in transit to Canada
Replies: 4
Views: 5166

Re: Passenger arrivals into Boston; some in transit to Canad

Could you please list the site you are addressing for the Boston arrivals, for some reason I can not find on the forum where you are listing the site that anyone else could use if necessary. Thank you.
by acamma
12 Feb 2005, 16:29

Re: Italians and slavery in the US

Essgee: Thank you very much for the answer, since today I was in our public library when I pulled up this message, I am going to locate the book you mentioned. I knew there were Italians all over this country but to see a specific book on one area is of major interest to me. I know that some of my a...
by acamma
08 Feb 2005, 00:20

Italians and slavery in the US

I have read that on this site that there were Italians immigrants to places such as Louisianna early in the immigration period. I was wondering if there is any data on the occupations that Italians might have held in the southern regions of the US before or during the US Civil War. I have found some...
by acamma
01 Feb 2005, 16:46
Topic: Citizenship
Replies: 8
Views: 10576

Re: Citizenship

Definitily them. First time I actually get to see a US government record showing my grandparents and their children (even if it is just the first 3). All other data show them before marriage or as individuals. Philip is the oldest and my father. And as a first son to an immigrant Ialian family defin...
by acamma
29 Jan 2005, 16:02
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: attitudes - Europeans vs Italians
Replies: 14
Views: 17254

Re: attitudes - Europeans vs Italians

Amy is this site down you referenced or am I just having difficulty with my computer site. Thanks.'

TONY
by acamma
29 Jan 2005, 15:46
Topic: why did so many Italians leave their country?
Replies: 33
Views: 51496

Re: why did so many Italians leave their country?

Okay that is enough with the running argument. I think we all know we don't want to go on this site to find something and then have to read through all these hits back and forth. As a new person on this type of site it can be intiminating to put on a message. I remember in a few of my grad school cl...
by acamma
28 Jan 2005, 21:26

His name is same as mine without all the middle names: Anthony Camma - He was born April 16, 1894 in Capri Leone, Sicily, Italy. He came he with his parents and siblings (the question is when either 1901/02 or 1909 as on the 1920 census). He lived in Phily with distant relatives until he was married...
by acamma
28 Jan 2005, 20:53

James: I had looked in the census before but forgot about it as a souce for this. When I went to my copy of 1920 census I have my grandfather at 27 years old (not married yet to my grandmother). Now in those columns 13-15 he is listed as coming to the US in 1909 (which I think is wrong based on what...
by acamma
28 Jan 2005, 19:51

Citizenship

All the recent questions and answers had me check with family on when my grandfather obtained his US citizenship ir reference to his children being born. No one remembers - I know where to call in the US on that issue but how do I find out if he basically cancelled his Italian citizenship as has bee...
by acamma
26 Jan 2005, 02:09

I am surprised I came even close to the word that you used Peter. It has been over 30 years since my grandfather died and I heard it from him. I did read before and just went back into the home page where it lists information on the journey to America for Italians. The one thing I didn't really unde...
by acamma
26 Jan 2005, 00:26

I think one other thing I found of interest years ago and was reconfirmed by a friend in SF lately who knows a elderly Italian gentleman who gives her information for me on Italy as I search for my ancestry. My grandfather even though in general would say he was Italian but a few times he would want...
by acamma
25 Jan 2005, 23:35

I know from my grandfather and his brothers they left Sicily due to the poverty created by the distruction of the south by the unification. I also have heard that from others who left in the late 1800's or early 1900's as Peter detailed. It really happened throughout Europe because that is why my fr...
by acamma
23 Jan 2005, 21:19
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: surname donadio
Replies: 31
Views: 24045

Re: surname donadio

Probably TMI but the person I was mentioning had information on their family tree and since the surnames were the same I figured there could be a distant connection. I know years ago my family was given more insight into our family's past ancestors due to work of another Camma family in the States w...