Search found 10 matches

by cchjs
08 Jun 2007, 23:15
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Jean-Baptiste Salvaye Captain of the regiment in Pignerol
Replies: 25
Views: 64352

Re: Jean-Baptiste Salvaye Captain of the regiment in Pignero

Wasn't Jean-Baptiste Salvaye de Tremont one of Giovanni Battista's descendants? Giovanni's son, Pierre was the first Salvai/y (from our family line) to arrive in North America. The Carignan-Salieres regiment employed Italian mercenaries, among them Piemontese like Pierre Salvay. Many people don't kn...
by cchjs
22 Feb 2006, 18:16

RE: Giovanni Battista Salvai/y

I’ve been going through my old files and can't recall if I posted a link to the surname distribution map of Italy. Recap: The Salvails are descended from the SALVAI family of Piemonte, Italy. Salvai is a Piemontese surname derived from Arabic.(In the 10th century, Saracens raided and occupied...
by cchjs
13 Apr 2005, 23:44
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Salvaye - Pinerolo
Replies: 6
Views: 6800

Re: Salvai/Salvay - Pinerolo

Winemaker, To answer your question, it seems like a very reputable website. The site creator is not **SPAM** anything. If you scroll down to the bottom of the following web page, he even lists all of his sources. http://xoomer.virgilio.it/blasonpiemon/index1.html However, I wouldn't get that tatoo j...
by cchjs
04 Apr 2005, 15:11
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Salvaye - Pinerolo
Replies: 6
Views: 6800

Re: Salvai/Salvay - Pinerolo

Hi Winemaker,

Being from Canada, I'm sure that you are directly descended from Pierre (probably Pietro) Salvay of Pinerolo, son of Giovanni Battista (or Jean-Baptiste, in French) Salvai/Salvay. Check out a Salvai/Salvay coat of arms below:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/blasonpiemon/Pagina8.html
by cchjs
04 Mar 2005, 09:59

Private Message

Hi Stross,

I sent you a reply via Private Message a couple of days ago. Did you receive it? I don't know if this PM system is even working. :?

Cchjs
by cchjs
23 Feb 2005, 07:40

Re: Salvay ancestry

Actually, my grandfather is from New England and I think his ancestors may have crossed the border from Quebec. I don't know when they emigrated to America.

Have you met many Salvails in Massachusetts? When did the Salvails from your mom's side emigrate to America?
by cchjs
22 Feb 2005, 13:57

Re: Giovanni Battista Salvai aka Jean-Baptiste

Hi Stross, Thank you so much for supplying me with Jean-Baptiste’s real name. It appears that both Giovanni Battista and Jean-Baptiste are one in the same - both mean John the Baptist. And, you’re right; the dates do match. I’m really excited about finally learning the names of ...
by cchjs
20 Feb 2005, 06:05

Re: Jean-Baptiste Salvaye Captain of the regiment in Pignero

Hey Stross,

So who are Giovanni Battista Salvays, figlio di Emanuele e Filippa Salvays? Do you know if and how they are related to Jean-Baptiste Salvay? Have you ever tried writing to Italy for more info? How far can your mom trace her genealogy back to Jean-Baptiste?

Thanks.
by cchjs
18 Feb 2005, 09:10

Re: Salvai/y

Hi Srossmeisl, Thanks for your reply. Salvai/y) is a Piemontese name, not North African. It simply comes from an Arabic word. I don't yet know what that word is. As you may know, some Italian names come from Arabic as a result of Saracen raids and occupations of the Italian peninsula. When the Arabs...
by cchjs
15 Feb 2005, 02:34

Re: Capt. Jean-Baptiste Salvay

I am also a direct descendant of Capt. Jean-Baptiste Salvai/Salvay. The Salvai/Salvay family is from Piemonte, Italy. From my research, I found that the surname derives from Arabic. [The Saracens(Arabs from North Africa) conquered Piemonte in the 10th century.] Check out the shield part of a Salvai/...