Search found 69 matches

by SynThea
08 Jul 2012, 18:39
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: The origin of the surname Bove? The Bove Crest please
Replies: 1
Views: 2017

Re: The origin of the surname Bove? The Bove Crest please

Joseph G. Fucilla in Our Italian Surnames, published 1949, writes (page 134)...

Lo Bue, Bovio, Bovo. Bovo, Bovetti, Bovelli8, Bovone... and several others ... come from terms for bull or ox ...

Many Italian names come from animals, plants and the like.

Best,

Carole
by SynThea
14 Mar 2012, 18:58
Topic: Do you have family from Montemiletto?
Replies: 41
Views: 24820

Re: Do you have family from Montemiletto?

Also: any known links to BOSTON?

Di Rienzo family???
by SynThea
14 Mar 2012, 18:53

Have in my files a few "possible" family units for Domenico Mustos, but no identifiable "direct" link to yours born 1887. Any clues as to his parents names OR whom he married (presumably in the U.S.? but maybe SHE was from Avellino?) How about Domenico's childrens' names? Sometim...
by SynThea
14 Mar 2012, 14:35

I have a fair number of Mustos from Montemiletto, although none so far in New Jersey ... do you have date of birth or parents for YOUR Domenico?

We might be able to narrow a search if you know names & dates besides immigration.
by SynThea
17 Apr 2010, 07:41

I have Torre le Nocelle/Montemiletto names Sacco, De Luca, Di Pierri, Di Stefano, Musto, Brogna ... a few back to 1650s ...

much stronger records in Torre through intermarriages.
by SynThea
13 Mar 2010, 15:29
Topic: Di Fronzo/Ragno of Montemiletto
Replies: 3
Views: 3349

Re: Di Fronzo/Ragno of Montemiletto

Thanks for responding.

My interest is primarily the parents or children of the earlier generation ... Ciriaco Di Fronzo/Angela Ragno.

Are you connected with either of these families?
by SynThea
13 Mar 2010, 11:53
Topic: Di Fronzo/Ragno of Montemiletto
Replies: 3
Views: 3349

Di Fronzo/Ragno of Montemiletto

Currently seeking parents and/or children of Ciriaco Di Fronzo, born abt 1822; married Angela Ragno, born abt 1827; married in Montemiletto about 1854. Believe both died in Montemiletto, years unknown. Their daughter Maria Di Fronzo, (about Sept. 1858 - after 1900) married one Gaetano Riccio (1852-1...
by SynThea
01 Mar 2010, 15:54
Topic: my grandfather's manifest
Replies: 13
Views: 8132

Re: my grandfather's manifest

Hi! I am also descended from Montemiletto ... as well as the adjacent Torre le Nocelle and Pietradefusi. I have available many records from Torre, and some from the other two places, mainly my own direct ancestors. Some of your family names are not familiar to me ... although I have MANY LombardOs i...
by SynThea
26 Jan 2010, 19:34
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Avellino Military Record
Replies: 10
Views: 8035

Re: Avellino Military Record

Many thanks to Lucap, Liviomoreno and johnnyonthespot for the most excellent updates on my Avellino Military record. It seems as though my ancestor was in the service quite a long time ... does anyone know if this was typical? Johnnyonthespot: Regarding the Giuseppe Dello Iacono born in 1916, died i...
by SynThea
26 Jan 2010, 12:24

johnnyonthespot! This is a wonderful resource site! The very first listing, Agostino Dello Iacono is the son of the ancestor I seek. I have a photograph of the tombstone of the Giuseppe Dello Iacono (b. 1889) whose miltary service I am trying to find out; his wife; and their son Agostino, the War he...
by SynThea
26 Jan 2010, 11:47

Hello, Lucap! I appreciate your checking in .. so far, what you translated appears accurate. Giuseppe Dello Iacono's parents were Agostino Dello Iacono and Maria Carolina (Nicolina) Carideo, and he was born in Torre le Nocelle March 1889. I have no knowledge that he was ever abroad ... although it i...
by SynThea
26 Jan 2010, 10:11

Thank you for responding ... I don't know anything about Giuseppe Dello Iacono's military experience. But I do have a 1920-ish family photo in which he seems to be wearing some kind of unusual lapel pin which I think may be military in nature. He also had a son, who died as a 25-year-old WWII hero i...
by SynThea
23 Jan 2010, 21:08

Avellino Military Record

I have a Military Record for an ancestor born in Avellino in 1889 which I am unable to translate. It is a very large document with considerable detail which seems to suggest more than "routine" service. If there is anyone who can provide a resource for such a complex translation, I would b...
by SynThea
31 Jul 2009, 14:05
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: sarafina ciccone
Replies: 5
Views: 6053

Re: sarafina ciccone

I have many Ciccone ancestors from Carrufo, L'Aquila, Italy.

Please contact me directly via email and I can connect you with an excellent source who lives there part of each year.

We may even be cugini!

Carole Ciccone Andrews
by SynThea
29 Mar 2009, 20:57
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: MEANING OF ITALIAN SURNAME
Replies: 5
Views: 8372

Re: MEANING OF ITALIAN SURNAME

John:

Our Italian Surnames by Joseph G. Fucilla, pub. 1949, page 41 gives MIZZI as a form of Giacomizzi.

He explains this as a derivitive of the "James" tribe, that is, surnames based on variations of Giacomo.

Hope this is of some help.