Search found 13 matches

by Toscana
04 Apr 2005, 19:46
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Copy of Birth Certificate
Replies: 2
Views: 4156

Re: Copy of Birth Certificate

I do not know about the state of Maryland, but usually most states will change their rules if you explicitly tell them WHY you need it. For example, Cook County in Chicago said they do not issue certified copies of marriage certificates which are older than 50 years. I called desperate, and they sai...
by Toscana
04 Apr 2005, 19:42
Topic: Certificate of Italian Citizenship
Views: 4084

Re: Certificate of Italian Citizenship

Michael, I got this certificate in person from the comune in Italy. It was very easy. I know that the consulate website lists this certificate as necessary. I also noticed that some of these websites which obtain birth certificates from Italy do not list the citizenship certificate. What my comune g...
by Toscana
04 Apr 2005, 04:56
Topic: Mispellings Etc. in Records
Views: 3604

Re: Mispellings Etc. in Records

I have read in various places that the documents used to establish your qualification for Italian citizenship cannot have any mispellings, etc. My Grandfather's birth record says his name is Michele. His marriage license says Michael (although he signed it Michele) and his date of birth on his marr...
by Toscana
02 Apr 2005, 22:21
Topic: Italian American but not entitled...
Views: 4555

Re: Italian American but not entitled...

This is what I understand: If your father was born after 1948 and his mother was not naturalized before his birth, she was able to pass on her citizenship to your father, who then passes it to you. You should check out the various websites to gain absolute clarity. I recommend the consulate webiste,...
by Toscana
02 Apr 2005, 22:16
Topic: Grandmother's name...
Views: 4619

Re: Grandmother's name...

Petrarca, I have the same issue. I e-mailed them at the Chicago consulate, and they responded that Anglicized names are common and that they can "overide" these problems. I found my grandfather's naturalization papers which had a legal name change on the back. The only problem is that he d...
by Toscana
02 Apr 2005, 22:01
Topic: Italian language requirement?
Replies: 1
Views: 3067

Re: Italian language requirement?

No, speaking Italian is not a requirement. But you should learn it anyway!
Toscana
by Toscana
28 Mar 2005, 05:47
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Please translate......
Replies: 11
Views: 13148

Re: Please translate......

Just go there and ask for the certificates. So much more rewarding. Toscana
by Toscana
28 Mar 2005, 05:44
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: getting a citizenship
Replies: 3
Views: 6077

Re: getting a citizenship

Start with the consulate website. That will give you the basic outline of what is required. I find the website myitaliancitizenship.com also very informative. the first thing to do is to determine if you actually qualify. No use pondering it unless you are a direct descendant of someone who was an I...
by Toscana
28 Mar 2005, 05:34
Topic: how do I locate ship manifests?
Replies: 4
Views: 5475

Re: how do I locate ship manifests?

I found my grandfather and great aunt's records on Ellis Island website for free. Printed them right out. I have also heard of the "ancestory" website mentioned, but have not tried--an aversion to $$ for info they may not even have. Good luck--it is there somewhere, keep trying. :D Toscana
by Toscana
28 Mar 2005, 05:31
Topic: Chicago area lawyers and notaries
Views: 5382

Re: Chicago area lawyers and notaries

Thanks for your comments, but indeed this whole strand/forum is devoted to issues of naturalization and citizenship. If this were not the case I would not have posted in the first place. Bacioni,
Toscana
by Toscana
28 Mar 2005, 05:29
Topic: Applying for Italian Citizenship at NY Consulate
Replies: 9
Views: 11029

Re: Applying for Italian Citizenship at NY Consulate

Getting your Italian documents is really quite easy if you go directly to the comune in Italy. That is the least of your problems. I am having more issues with the USA end of it. Whatever they give you in Itlay will be the right form, as they explained to me that the law changed and there is no more...
by Toscana
19 Mar 2005, 22:06
Topic: Chicago area lawyers and notaries
Views: 5382

Chicago area lawyers and notaries

I am assembling my documents to apply for citizenship, but really would like some professional help, if only for the sake of time and sanity. Does anyone know of lawyers/notaries or others who do the legwork and help you assemble your paperwork? I already got the Italian documents in Italy, that was...
by Toscana
19 Mar 2005, 22:00
Topic: help!
Replies: 1
Views: 3135

Re: help!

As far as I have read, this military service does not affect your application or eligbility for citizenship. They do not ask for anyone's military records. That being said, I am not an expert!