Search found 12 matches

by rosecarm
16 Dec 2005, 06:38
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Thank you all
Replies: 5
Views: 4592

Re: Thank you all

Hi Mary in California... where it's probably not snowing like heck.... What are you going to do with the research info you have collected? Are you going to publish this in some way for the Bakery's anniversary?? going on memory here.... Glad that you are also setting the record straight... and if G...
by rosecarm
15 Dec 2005, 11:02

Re: Thank you all

Also, I found Giovanni's grave. He had his funeral Mass all those years ago- now he can have his headstone back. Mary I think that's wonderful! I am glad you found his grave. What do you mean he can have his headstone back? mfjp Giovanni died in 1917. At that time, the only cemetary was 15 miles aw...
by rosecarm
22 Nov 2005, 01:17

Thank you all

I want to thank everyone who responded to my search for Alfier and Paulazo. Your knowledge of provinces and name spellings were invaluable. Also, it did not occur to me to check different spellings for Paulazzo. Thanks. I have what I need now to put the record straight. The Paulazzos were the origin...
by rosecarm
21 Nov 2005, 07:05
Topic: Paulazzo, Paolazzo Roberto
Replies: 3
Views: 4372

Paulazzo, Paolazzo Roberto

I was looking for Alfiers. Now looking for info on Roberto and Guiseppe Paulazzo, sometimes spelled paolazzo. roberto listed as head of Weed Bakery in 1910 census. Believed to be from Treviso. Lived in Montague, Ca. after **SPAM** bakery to Alfier around 1914. Thanks much.
by rosecarm
21 Nov 2005, 07:02
Topic: Giovanni Alfier, Udine
Replies: 25
Views: 22675

Re: Giovanni Alfier, Udine

Just to review manifests found... -------------------------------------------------------------- 1909 First Name: Giovanni (born 1880+-) Last Name: Alfier Ethnicity: Italy, N. Italian Last Place of Residence: Polcemza, Italy Date of Arrival: Feb 01, 1909 Age at Arrival:  29y    Ge...
by rosecarm
09 Nov 2005, 08:07
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: difference between town and region
Replies: 4
Views: 6851

difference between town and region

Polcenigo is a town I believe. Is it proper to say it is within the Udine region, then, or is Udine another town? At the same time, how does Friuli rate compared to Udine and Polcenigo- a town province or region? When someone says they are from 1. Udine 2. Polcenigo, are they saying they are from th...
by rosecarm
08 Nov 2005, 09:45

Actually, I should correct something I said earlier: Paul Brunello was from Treviso, Italy, just down the road from Polcenigo, not Triso. This agrees with the old timer gossip that the Alfiers would not do business with anyone outside their Italian "neighborhood".
by rosecarm
08 Nov 2005, 09:32

The paesanos of Polcenigo also ended up in Rossland or Trail, British Columbia, another mining town... probably earning about $2.50 a week (which I hear was a good wage), and if you had darker skin, $0.50 per week... I would like your opinion on one thing though... your thoughts about the Alfier's ...
by rosecarm
08 Nov 2005, 03:35

Victor was in Italy with wife and kids visiting the folks when the bakery burned. He had left Giovanni in charge of the bakery at the time. It would have taken Victor sometime to get back. First record of his return was 13 days later when he began rebuilding the bakery out of cement. Please find ou...
by rosecarm
08 Nov 2005, 03:32

Wow this is great. I can't believe the help I'm getting here. Let me address some questions I'm getting here. 1.The Alfiers went back and forth to Italy at least once a year. These people were not poor although they traveled steerage. From what I can see, the wives with the possible exception of Vic...
by rosecarm
07 Nov 2005, 19:37

How sad! ----------- The reason why I can't find Giuseppe and Giovanni's Alfier's 1910 Census record... is because there was a good chance that they were in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada??? It's quite cold there... I'd run to California too... Cousin Luigi is also off to Sudbury (nickel mining town) to ...
by rosecarm
07 Nov 2005, 09:05

Giovanni Alfier, Udine

Looking for info on Giovanni Alfier, born approximately 1880, most likely in Polcenigo. Died Oct. 4, 1917 in siskiyou county, California. Founded the Weed Bakery in 1906 in Weed, Ca. after purchasing the land in 1905. He died in the bakery during a fire. His brothers were also founders of the bakery...