Marco
by Marco
28 Oct 2006, 16:48
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Help on reading name on manifest
Replies: 2
Views: 3569

Re: Help on reading name on manifest

I think it is Tomaso. Today Tommaso is more frequent but both variations are possible.

Marco
by Marco
18 Oct 2006, 13:25
Topic: Brugnoli Family
Replies: 10
Views: 12066

Re: Brugnoli Family

Brugnoli/Brignoli is common in Lombardy. I have two Brignolis in my ancestor's tree and the name was spelled Br u gnoli when they moved to another town. My Brignolis were Maria Brignoli, born in Peia in 1759, died in Gandino Oct 23rd 1803, daughter of Orazio and wife of Andrea Torri. Peia and Gandin...
by Marco
14 Oct 2006, 16:08
Topic: Birth certificat in turin from Paris ?
Replies: 4
Views: 8613

Re: Birth certificat in turin from Paris ?

Italian towns were obliged to keep the birth records only from 1866. Before that date every town acted differently and before 1861 every state had its own law. I'm afraid that in Turin you have to search for Church records and that means that you should write to the Archdiocese, and in the worst cas...
by Marco
14 Oct 2006, 15:05
Topic: Maria Rilli, Rome - Pico, Frosinone
Replies: 8
Views: 9597

Re: Maria Rilli, Rome - Pico, Frosinone

Perhaps the best idea would be if all letters were signed by your grandmother herself. In that case privacy law should not hold. As for knowing the real parents I have really no idea; in principle they could still be alive and in that case the privacy laws would apply to them (:? ?)
good luck
Marco
by Marco
14 Oct 2006, 14:48
Topic: Surname ASCOLI
Replies: 16
Views: 15552

Re: Surname ASCOLI

raymo wrote:They don't appear to have a website for the Comune
click here
don't know why they have an ip address instead of a normal site name, probably they have just started working on it. Anyway if you know people there that's much better than trying sending mail or email!
Marco
by Marco
14 Oct 2006, 14:33
Topic: Pronouncing our names in Italian. What's yours?
Replies: 11
Views: 10546

Re: Pronouncing our names in Italian. What's yours?

Will be interesting to see what one of our Italian posters has to say...... problem is: how do we write it down? I checked some description of IPA and the three vowels could be described as a as in c u t or c a rt (short and long) e as in b e d o as in b a ll consonants being mostly the same, excep...
by Marco
12 Oct 2006, 12:20
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Please help with translation from Italian to English
Views: 5879

Re: Please help with translation from Italian to English

ho ricevuto la sua lettera e sono molto contenta, ma nello stesso tempo stupita, di sapere che, oltre oceano, ci sia qualcuno che porta il mio stesso cognome: per questo sono disposta a fornirle piu informazioni possibili sul caso. I've received your letter and am very happy ( content a means it's ...
by Marco
08 Oct 2006, 13:59
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Concert
Replies: 10
Views: 13362

Re: Concert

Well, since this is the Italian Genealogy forum, just adding that Steven belongs rightly to this forum as he was born Stephen (Stefano) Tallarico!
Marco
:D and ... hmmm ... I really prefer the daughter :D
by Marco
08 Oct 2006, 13:38
Topic: Russo brothers emigrate to Colombia
Replies: 6
Views: 8200

Re: Russo brothers emigrate to Colombia

The most common surname in Italy is Rossi ( Reds ), the southern Italiy variation is Russo which has the same meaning of Red in the southern italian dialects, although in Italian it means Russian. Why there are so many reds in Italy I don't really know ;) I think I read five or six different explana...
by Marco
08 Oct 2006, 00:13
Topic: Russo brothers emigrate to Colombia
Replies: 6
Views: 8200

Re: Russo brothers emigrate to Colombia

unfortunately Michele and Vincenzo Russo are both such common names even today that unless you have some more info there's no hope of finding anything. Just to show you the numbers today in the province of Napoli alone there are 94 Michele Russo and more than 200 Vincenzo Russo.
Marco
by Marco
07 Oct 2006, 01:41
Topic: Nonini FamilY - Lombardy Region
Replies: 22
Views: 26449

Re: Nonini FamilY - Lombardy Region

Nonini and Molatore are rare surnames and only present in northern Lombardy (mostly province of Sondrio). So it should be easy to find info there starting of course in Cercino. The address of the town-hall (municipio) is Via Ligari, 2 23016 Cercino (SO) In the Ellis Island site there's a Giovanni No...
by Marco
04 Oct 2006, 17:05
Topic: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
Replies: 14
Views: 13655

Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy

nuccia wrote:I believe this is the address of the comune in Montagano. I hope someone can confirm this.

CORSO UMBERTO I, 37
Montagano (CB) Italia
Tel.: 0874451130
Fax: 0874451460

nuccia
yes it is, only the zip code is missing: 86023
Marco
by Marco
04 Oct 2006, 16:41
Topic: What or where is Rodeni, Vjencani, and Umrli please?
Views: 4138

Re: What or where is Rodeni, Vjencani, and Umrli please?

Rodeni is birth Vjencani is wedding Umrli is probably death I checked with Croatian here , but that's probably slovenian or a variation. Death in Croatian is smrt (:) yes! no vowels at all ;-)) which doesn't fit with umrli but what else could it be? Marco ==> ok I found out that decease is umrijeti ...
by Marco
03 Oct 2006, 23:20
Topic: Gherardi/Pellizzari Family
Replies: 15
Views: 14148

Re: Gherardi/Pellizzari Family

In the ship manifest of Gherardi (see Wldspirit post above) the indication is for Coccanile which is a hamlet of Copparo in the province of Ferrara. I think Coranite is actually Coccanile. Some info on Coccanile are here in Italian. The official website of Copparo is here.
Good luck
Marco