Search found 5 matches

by RevLouM
14 Feb 2006, 23:50
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Le Streghe di Campobasso....
Replies: 22
Views: 36106

Re: Le Streghe di Campobasso....

As a native of Newark, NJ, I have a hard time thinking that anyone would dismiss "il mal'occhio" out-of-hand. In my experince, in Essex County NJ, even "i midigani" use the word. I can be reached for further by e-mail. PM me and I'll send it to you.
by RevLouM
14 Feb 2006, 23:47
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Le Streghe di Campobasso
Replies: 3
Views: 5126

Re: Le Streghe di Campobasso

JohnArmellino wrote:RevLouM - My family is also from Campobasso. Where exactly did your family originate - Campobasso itself or one of the other comuni in the province? What surnames are you researching?
Castropignano!
by RevLouM
11 Feb 2006, 07:50
Topic: Has anyone ever mapped out NJ's little Italy's
Replies: 11
Views: 11419

Re: Has anyone ever mapped out NJ's little Italy's

New Jersey Silver Lake section, Belleville, New Jersey Nutley, New Jersey is 44.5% Italian Seventh Avenue, Newark, formerly known to as "the First Ward." According to the National Italian American Foundation, 7 of the 18 most heavily Italian American Counties in the US are in NJ. Among th...
by RevLouM
11 Feb 2006, 07:45
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Le Streghe di Campobasso....
Replies: 22
Views: 36106

Re: Le Streghe di Campobasso....

Donna, the practice and belief is still common NOW. In the Italian communities, there were many folks who, while DEVOUT in their faith, performed "benedicaria". Others were "jettature", and could give / remove "il mal'occhio". The benevento connection was made, yes, by ...
by RevLouM
10 Feb 2006, 00:45
Topic: Le Streghe di Campobasso
Replies: 3
Views: 5126

Le Streghe di Campobasso

Removed to the earlier post, that I had long forgotten about...

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=1080