Search found 23 matches

by mercedesjay
16 Feb 2007, 22:28
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Pasquale FAVA - Province of Frosinone
Replies: 2
Views: 5144

Re: Pasquale FAVA - Province of Frosinone

Thanks Sheronb! Appreciate the hint. I thought about a private researcher but just wasn't sure of the cost involved.
by mercedesjay
16 Feb 2007, 22:25
Topic: Polsinelli,La Rocca,Lombardozzi and Tuzi from Sora.
Replies: 44
Views: 56753

Re: Polsinelli,La Rocca,Lombardozzi and Tuzi from Sora.

Yes, I too have been told that Tersigni is a common name in Sora as well. Actually, my great-grandfather Antonio Campagnolo that I mentioned used the name Tersigni for several years when he was in the United States. He did not legally change his name to that, just decided to use it. Even his childre...
by mercedesjay
16 Feb 2007, 19:14
Topic: Pasquale FAVA - Province of Frosinone
Replies: 2
Views: 5144

Pasquale FAVA - Province of Frosinone

I need help locating the birth town of my ancestor Pasquale Fava. I know that he was living in the town of Brocco (now Broccostella) while he was married and raising a family. He married Anna Maria Antonia FERRI who was born 23 May 1820 in Brocco. They had a daughter named Camilla (born 1856) who ma...
by mercedesjay
16 Feb 2007, 18:52
Topic: Polsinelli,La Rocca,Lombardozzi and Tuzi from Sora.
Replies: 44
Views: 56753

Re: Polsinelli,La Rocca,Lombardozzi and Tuzi from Sora.

My great-grandfather, Antonio CAMPAGNOLO was raised by a Tersigni family in Sora. He was born 1885 and abandoned on the doorstep of the home of Giuseppe Saverio Tersigni and his wife Vincenza Fraiano. They raised my great-grandfather as one of their own children, even sending him to a private milita...
by mercedesjay
18 Dec 2006, 05:33
Topic: Antonio LOMBARDI from Province of Campobasso
Replies: 4
Views: 5871

Re: Antonio LOMBARDI from Province of Campobasso

You are right on the money Trish. That is Antonio's wife Vittoria on the passenger list. The family settled in McKeesport, PA and from there they moved to Canton, OH. Antonio never fully bacame a citizen of the US. He started the process but was killed in a dynamite explosion in October 1913 in Pitt...
by mercedesjay
17 Dec 2006, 19:27

Re: Antonio LOMBARDI from Province of Campobasso

Thanks much suanj! Yes, I have a copy of Antonio's birth record and he was born in 1860. Perhaps he gave the wrong age or it was transcribed incorrectly. I have seen that happen before. If that is the case it can only be a guess as to whether it is him or not. It is very frustrating. I never found a...
by mercedesjay
17 Dec 2006, 16:56

Antonio LOMBARDI from Province of Campobasso

My ancestor Antonio LOMBARDI left the province of Campobasso in 1886 to come to America. He left behind his wife (Maria Vittoria PETTI) who was pregnant and two small sons. They were living in the community of Roccaspromonte. I have tried to find the ships passenger list for Antonio but have had a d...
by mercedesjay
26 Feb 2006, 10:54
Topic: My Trip to Sicily
Replies: 8
Views: 9474

Re: My Trip to Sicily

Hi VaDeb! Sounds amazing. I have never been to Italy but can only imagine the feeling that you would get walking the streets where your family once walked. It had to breath-taking I am sure. Thanks for sharing and encouraging others to take the adventure! mercedesjay.
by mercedesjay
26 Feb 2006, 10:46
Topic: Grandmother had three names
Replies: 9
Views: 6978

Re: Grandmother had three names

Hi Suanj! While talking to family today, I found out that my great-grandmother was often called by people as a nickname "Pascuccia" Her name was Pasqualina or Pasqua. She used both. So, in other words, she was being called "Little Pasqua"! Thanks again for the help. I would have ...
by mercedesjay
26 Feb 2006, 10:39
Topic: Meaning of surname Di Cresce
Replies: 11
Views: 17445

Re: Meaning of surname Di Cresce

I do know that of the relatives that came to the U.S., many of their descendents have changed the name Di Cresce to many different variations. However, what I listed is the true spelling. I think many of my cousins today did not intentionally change the spelling, it just sort of changed over time th...
by mercedesjay
25 Feb 2006, 21:54

Re: Meaning of surname Di Cresce

Thanks jcsm400 for the website. I have found several other of my family's surnames listed and found it very useful. I can definitely see me using it again in the future. The name Di Cresce is an unusual one I will have to admit. I rarely see it anywhere other than in my research on my family. Suanj,...
by mercedesjay
25 Feb 2006, 10:33

Meaning of surname Di Cresce

I am interested in finding a website that offers the meanings and/or origins of surnames, if one exists. I am especially interested in my great-grandmother's name of Di Cresce. She was born in Broccostella (Provincia di Frosinone) where many generations of the Di Cresce family have lived. Any inform...
by mercedesjay
24 Feb 2006, 09:15

My grandmother Elvira was one of the youngest of nine children nuccia! I just wish she was here so I could share all the wonderful information that is being gathered on her family. I had never heard of the "uccia" ending of names before, so I have learned something new for today. Warmest r...
by mercedesjay
24 Feb 2006, 03:17

Thanks once again for the help mfjp and suanj. That website geocities.com looks like it will come in handy for future reference. As far as the name Veruccia is concerned, it looks as if the mystery is solved as to where it came from. My grandmother's sister told me that she was only called Veruccia ...
by mercedesjay
23 Feb 2006, 10:42

Grandmother had three names

I have found it very confusing in researching my deceased grandmother. Her given birth name that I have found was Elvira Louise Campagnoli. However, she used the name Irene almost her entire life. According to family, she was also called Veruccia (not sure of spelling) some of the time. I have never...