Search found 10 matches

by shroud97
14 Aug 2007, 14:55
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Great-grandmother's First Name
Replies: 22
Views: 16395

Re: Great-grandmother's First Name

Being familiar with records in Lacedonia, I would say that her mother's maiden name was actually "de Vincentis," which is a name I have in my tree. I'd be very interested to see how we are related; there was really only one main de Vincentis family in Lacedonia.
by shroud97
29 Jan 2007, 21:59
Topic: Info on DiGeronimo's.... Help me find the missing link
Replies: 38
Views: 39202

Re: Info on DiGeronimo's.... Help me find the missing l

My ancestors were also Di Geronimos who came from Lacedonia to Essex, NJ. I have traced my family through Vincenzo Di Geronimo, who emigrated in 1906, back to Giuseppe Di Geronimo and Maria Montesion, both born in the late 1700's. While I have a fair amount of information on other branches of the Di...
by shroud97
14 Jul 2006, 08:26
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Help with title or prefix before name?
Replies: 4
Views: 5088

Re: Help with title or prefix before name?

Many thanks to both of you, this is extremely helpful. I found another document for the marriage of Francesco's son where they were both listed as a calzolaio, so perhaps he was a 'master' shoemaker? His son shows up a few years later as proprietario, and remains so until his death, but I'm thinking...
by shroud97
14 Jul 2006, 01:19
Topic: Help with title or prefix before name?
Replies: 4
Views: 5088

Help with title or prefix before name?

Hi everyone, I recently came across a record in which my ancestor, Francesco Giordano, had an abbreviation before his name, which looked like "Mgr:o." His wife appears to have, I assume, a feminine version of this in front of her name, but I can't tell, the ink has been smudged. I have lin...
by shroud97
06 Jun 2006, 02:52
Topic: Origin of Surname 'Montesion'
Replies: 5
Views: 4899

Origin of Surname 'Montesion'

My family is from Lacedonia, in Avellino, and one of the names somewhat common in that town is Montesion. They have married into my family a few times. I'm curious about the origin of this name, mostly for the reason that it doesn't end with a vowel, and never does in the records. I am familiar with...
by shroud97
01 Jun 2006, 22:36
Topic: Di Geronimo & Quatrale Families from Lacedonia, AV, Camp
Replies: 35
Views: 36235

Re: Di Geronimo & Quatrale Families from Lacedonia, AV,

Hey Nunsiata- Those DiGeronimos in the census are indeed my family; Vincenzo went as James and his brother Donato went as Dan. I also find the immigration records interesting, as the brother's father's name was Giuseppe, and he was born in 1836. Unfortunately I don't know the names of any of his sib...
by shroud97
01 Jun 2006, 21:33
Topic: Handwriting difficulty
Replies: 3
Views: 4905

Re: Handwriting difficulty

I see! Thank you very much for your help, I never would have figured that out on my own. Best of luck on all your research.
by shroud97
01 Jun 2006, 03:25

Re: My ancestor on the registry dello stato civile

Alright, I scanned a picture of two versions of his signature:
http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... iis9xe.jpg
Any ideas?
by shroud97
01 Jun 2006, 02:35

Handwriting difficulty

Hi everyone, I have a question conerning the occupation and status of one of my ancestors. His name was Pasquale de Vincentiis, and on the town records, he is consistently identified as Don Pasquale, and usually his occupation is given as proprietario, which I understand. However, in addition to thi...
by shroud97
29 May 2006, 23:32
Topic: Di Geronimo & Quatrale Families from Lacedonia, AV, Camp
Replies: 35
Views: 36235

Re: Di Geronimo & Quatrale Families from Lacedonia, AV,

This probably has no relevance to your family, but I guess there's a possibility that it does: My great-grandfather, Vincenzo (he went by 'James' in the Census records), who was also from Lacedonia, had two borders living in his house in Montclair in 1910, Michael Pignatiello and Donato Quatrale. Do...