Search found 46 matches

by maddief
14 Jun 2009, 15:20
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Meaning of last name
Replies: 1
Views: 2952

Meaning of last name

I'm currently trying to help my boyfriend do some genealogy work. His last name is Liberatoscioli. I understand that liberato means "freed" but I can't seem to find anything on scioli. Any ideas? Thank you!
by maddief
24 Mar 2009, 17:28
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: dual citizenship at the Philadelphia Consulate
Replies: 14
Views: 11418

dual citizenship at the Philadelphia Consulate

I am currently trying to apply for dual citizenship through the Philadelphia Consulate. I believe I have all the documents required. There is one issue that is troubling me. I have the required Certification of Nonexistence of a Naturalization Record for my Italian relative. However, the cert was se...
by maddief
03 Nov 2008, 18:37
Topic: apostille for certification of non-existence
Replies: 5
Views: 6617

apostille for certification of non-existence

I need an apostille for my certification of non-existence of a naturalization record. However, I was told that Pennsylvania's Department of State would not provide an apostille for it because it was not signed by a state official but a federal one (Homeland Security). How do I get an apostille for a...
by maddief
03 Sep 2008, 04:13
Topic: certification of non-exisestence
Views: 4956

certification of non-exisestence

I am currently trying to apply for dual citizenship through my late paternal grandfather who was born in Italy. I have finally (after 2 1/2 years of headache) managed to obtain his certification of non-existence of a naturalization record. The problem is this: my father, who was born in the States, ...
by maddief
23 Aug 2007, 03:10
Topic: "no records" letter not sufficient?
Views: 5607

Re: "no records" letter not sufficient?

Would you mind passing on the contact information to me? Thank you for the advice!
by maddief
22 Aug 2007, 17:08
Topic: "no records" letter not sufficient?
Views: 5607

"no records" letter not sufficient?

I recently went down to my consulate to make sure I was on the right track with all of my documents. After a long wait, I did finally get the "no records" letter from DHS. However, the woman at my consulate said that I need to get another letter from DHS because the one they sent me only g...
by maddief
22 Aug 2007, 17:06
Topic: amendments?
Replies: 3
Views: 4035

amendments?

I went to my Consulate to speak with the person in charge of dual citizenship applications and who is apparently new to the job and doesn't really know what she's talking about as evident by the "I don't know" responses to some of my questions. She told me that with name changes (my grandf...
by maddief
15 Aug 2007, 17:56
Topic: apostilles and DHS letter
Replies: 0
Views: 3049

apostilles and DHS letter

I know that all the vital records documents in English need an apostille and a translation but I wasn't sure about the "no records" letter from the Department of Homeland Security. Does this too need an apostille?
by maddief
30 Jul 2007, 19:58
Topic: is a lawyer helpful?
Replies: 2
Views: 2937

is a lawyer helpful?

I'm going to be applying for dual citizenship at the Consulate in Philadelphia once I have all my documents together (if that day ever comes...!). However, I heard a friend of a friend say that they knew someone who hired a lawyer to expedite the process and that they were awarded dual citizenship a...
by maddief
10 Jul 2007, 00:04
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: "no records" letter
Replies: 0
Views: 2427

"no records" letter

I am currently looking to apply for dual citizenship and recently received a "no records" letter from USCIS. However, the document needs to be translated into Italian. Anyone looking for a project and/or wants to be a huge help, please translate this for me!!! Mille grazie! The letter is w...
by maddief
05 Jul 2007, 17:45
Topic: translations for apostille?
Views: 6480

Re: translations for apostille?

Do documents in Italian need to be translated into English too? Do they require an apostille? (Sorry I'm asking all these questions -- it is impossible to get anyone from the Consulate on the phone!)
by maddief
05 Jul 2007, 17:42
Topic: family members all applying for Italian citizenship
Views: 2441

family members all applying for Italian citizenship

I originally began gathering documents in order to apply for Italian citizenship through my paternal grandfather. Because I leave in Pennsylvania, I need to apply to the Consulate in Philadelphia. However, my paternal aunt who lives in New York wants to be included in the application. Will she be ab...
by maddief
21 Jun 2007, 16:01
Topic: name change
Views: 2817

name change

When I sent the letter to DHS for the naturalization documentation search, I requested it for my grandfather who was born as Franco in Italy but was known as Frank in the States. I provided his birth date as well as the names of his parents and received a letter of "no records". However, D...
by maddief
11 Jun 2007, 01:53
Topic: translations for apostille?
Views: 6480

translations for apostille?

Do documents in English that are required for the dual citizenship application need to be translated into Italian? If so, do they need to be translated before sending them off to get the apostille? And finally, can a relative of mine who speaks fluent Italian translate the documents for me or does i...
by maddief
09 Jun 2007, 13:03
Topic: Dual Citizenship App w/the Philadelphia Italian Consulate
Replies: 3
Views: 7700

Re: Dual Citizenship App w/the Philadelphia Italian Consulat

I realize that I have to provide all the documentation but I didn't realize that it took so long for them to process it! Can anyone else confirm that it takes about 1 year?