Search found 79 matches

by AnotherCitizenToBe
21 Jan 2008, 21:33
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: emigration, inmigration, naturalization
Replies: 4
Views: 5213

Re: emigration, inmigration, naturalization

Are you sure you don't mean 1860? All the best, Peg FWIW, even 1860 is prior to the unification of Italy. As aluded to in my previous post, persons who were not present at the time of unification were not granted citizenship in the new country we know as Italia today. Not present at the time of uni...
by AnotherCitizenToBe
21 Jan 2008, 12:24
Topic: emigration, inmigration, naturalization
Views: 5213

Re: emigration, inmigration, naturalization

Is this request at all related to seeking Italian citizenship jure sanguinis? If so, bad news is in the air... Otherwise, this Ancestry.com site, http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=7486, may be helpful: "About Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s Updated annually, this da...
by AnotherCitizenToBe
19 Jan 2008, 12:11
Topic: Waiting for or considering a FOIA request? Please consider
Replies: 11
Views: 8503

Waiting for or considering a FOIA request? Please consider

I have posted this on another board and found that I am not the only one to have suffered this indignity, so I post it here as well under the "fair warning" guideline. --------------------------------------- There is humor in here somewhere, in the "tragicomedy" style... When I f...
by AnotherCitizenToBe
15 Jan 2008, 00:00
Topic: N. Records - urgent help needed
Replies: 8
Views: 5680

Re: N. Records - urgent help needed

Luca, What do you know about your ancester's naturalization? Do you know for certain if he/she did in fact naturalize? Do you have any idea where he/she may have done so? Which State? County? Any idea when? Can you narrow it down to within a decade? What have you done so far to locate these records?
by AnotherCitizenToBe
06 Jan 2008, 13:03
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Iacovo - De Iacovo
Replies: 1
Views: 5065

Re: Iacovo - De Iacovo

[bump]

Anyone?
by AnotherCitizenToBe
04 Jan 2008, 12:40
Topic: Iacovo - De Iacovo
Replies: 1
Views: 5065

Iacovo - De Iacovo

We have always known my maternal grandfather's (and thus my mother's) surname to be "De Iacovo". Well, actually, "De Iacova", but that's another story... Having determined that both maternal grandparents were born and married in Malvito, Cosenza, I wrote and requested their birth...
by AnotherCitizenToBe
03 Dec 2007, 11:37
Topic: Death certificate
Replies: 7
Views: 7045

Re: Death certificate

Sure, I´d be happy to. Information from NARA documents: Arrived in US (New York) : Feb. 12, 1902 Arrived from Naples Born, raised, and married in Palo del Colle, Bari, Italy Children: Thomas, Laura, Mary, Pauline, Lena, Lulu (all born in NY), Onofrio, Catherine, Sara (all born in Boston). Informat...
by AnotherCitizenToBe
02 Dec 2007, 13:41
Topic: Seeking an investigator to track down my grandfather
Replies: 5
Views: 5498

Re: Seeking an investigator to track down my grandfather

Have you tried something as simple as an Italian telephone directory search?

Visit PagineBianche.It and give it a shot. Cognome = surname, Nome = given name, Dove = where/what location (city name).

If you get any likely hits, you could try writing a letter...
by AnotherCitizenToBe
01 Dec 2007, 13:29
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Two great websites for learning Italian
Replies: 7
Views: 7306

Re: Two great websites for learning Italian

Well, I sure am confused by this exchange! But, so long as we are on the subject, I have found WordReference.com to be a great site for looking things up, hearing words pronounced, conjugating verbs, etc. Also, the forums are fantastic; even complex questions typically receive several replies in a m...
by AnotherCitizenToBe
13 Nov 2007, 23:56
Topic: Italian to American names
Replies: 15
Views: 16505

Re: Italian to American names

I understand that when many Italians came to the US they americanized their given names such as Guisseppe to Joseph and Nicola to Nicholas. Does anyone know why someone would go from Salvatore to Charles? Perhaps because they or a loved one liked the name "Charles" ? Sometimes we look for...
by AnotherCitizenToBe
12 Nov 2007, 21:34
Topic: other entry points for italians in 1800's
Replies: 11
Views: 13100

Re: other entry points for italians in 1800's

Karen - Italian women to this day do not take on the surname of their spouse. In fact, I understand that, should my dual citizenship be approved, my wife's eventual Italian passport will be issued in her maiden name. At any rate, when searching ship's manifests and other immigration records, you nee...
by AnotherCitizenToBe
12 Nov 2007, 14:38
Topic: genealogy
Views: 6188

Re: genealogy

I am looking for relatives of my grandfather Vicenzo Tardochi who was born in Ascoli Pisceno. If you have any information please let me know. Thank you Couple of things: 1) It's "Ascoli Piceno" 2) Ascoli Piceno is both a province and the name of the capital city within the province. If he...
by AnotherCitizenToBe
06 Nov 2007, 13:27
Topic: Need some help on monetary transaction
Views: 5918

Re: Need some help on monetary transaction

By researching my grandparents home village, I finally located a young lady who looked up the records that I need. She has sent me the information via internet, but will send the actual certs. She has tried to communicate the amount of Euros that I need to send to the Commune di Riverone, but I'm n...
by AnotherCitizenToBe
06 Nov 2007, 10:47
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Montecorvinio Rovella
Replies: 2
Views: 4684

Re: Montecorvinio Rovella

Is anyone familar with or visited Montecorvino, Rovella? My noni, Raffaella Martoriello was born there and I am very curous about it. Deborah Aceto Larsen The comune has a website at http://www.comune.montecorvinorovella.sa.it/ ( or Click Here for a rough english translation). Hmmm... Or is it this...
by AnotherCitizenToBe
05 Nov 2007, 17:33
Topic: ITALIAN WAR BABIES
Replies: 13
Views: 11187

Re: ITALIAN WAR BABIES

You should tread carefully here... Perhaps this person does not know of the circumstances of her birth and would rather not find out now, at the age of 63. I think if *I* were to pursue this kind of situation, I would consider contacting the local parish priests. See if you can find out which churc...