Search found 39 matches

by mhamilton
11 Aug 2007, 09:00
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Research - Need Advice
Replies: 62
Views: 41932

Re: Research - Need Advice

I think Robert might be Roy Mangus maybe. I found his draft card.

And I think my mother has a picture of Roy's grave in New York, next to other Mangus'.

Checking with my mother tomorrow :)

This is really exciting!

Thank you
by mhamilton
11 Aug 2007, 08:16

Ahh... thank you! I had found Jessie and Josephine in the orphanage record previously. I asked my grandfather if he knew anything about it, and he told me that he had heard from his mother Clara, that they were very poor and had so many children that they couldn't support them all at that time. So t...
by mhamilton
11 Aug 2007, 04:11
Topic: Any idea what "Mog" means?
Replies: 4
Views: 5160

Re: Any idea what "Mog" means?

Thanks Biff!
by mhamilton
10 Aug 2007, 23:10
Topic: Any idea what "Mog" means?
Replies: 4
Views: 5160

Any idea what "Mog" means?

Hi again, I was looking thru New York passenger arrivals for women named Maria, Maria Grazia, or Grazia with birthdates around 1864, and I found a ship manifest for the Plata, where a lot of the women's surnames are given as "mog" and the men's as "fig". Any idea what this abbrev...
by mhamilton
10 Aug 2007, 21:33

Whew, okay I tried to use babelfish on the information about the convent. I think what I understood was that the convent was founded around 1776, and served to educate girls, especially in the arts needed to be a good wife and mother, reading and writing is mentioned too. No one really knows how the...
by mhamilton
10 Aug 2007, 21:17

Suanj, you're a miracle worker! Thank you so much for looking into this convent stuff, I had no idea how or where to begin :) I'm going to look at the link you provided. And thank you nuccia for posting that draft registration card image! Mary Grace (Maria Grazia) married Calogero Mancuso. We (inclu...
by mhamilton
10 Aug 2007, 02:25

Thanks much! I found the census data and their arrival info from ellis island, but I hadn't tracked down the draft card yet. That's good to know, we were pretty sure Toj had to be Ignatzio. With respect to convents in Sicily, does anyone have any idea how to find a list of convents that were around ...
by mhamilton
09 Aug 2007, 04:43

Wow, thanks for all the help so far. My grandfather's father was Calogero Mangano, born around 1897. He was 9 years old when he arrived at Ellis Island in 1906 with his family. He traveled with his sister (11 yrs) Grazia, his other sister (13 yrs) Caroline, his baby brother (2 yrs) Guiseppe in the c...
by mhamilton
08 Aug 2007, 21:50

Research - Need Advice

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, and really impressed with how helpful everyone seems to be! My family on my mother's side is from Sicily and I've been doing a lot of research to try to track down genealogies before my trip in October. I was hoping to be able to get additional records and details fr...