Search found 219 matches

by sforza
22 Oct 2023, 21:42
Forum: Genetic genealogy
Topic: Bari DNA
Replies: 11
Views: 932

Re: Bari DNA

Yeah, I'm not making judgements about where it came from. Just noting that it appears to have density in Scotland. That said, if the haplogroup were at high levels among Romans (who are not genetically equivalent to Sicilians) you would expect more density L-1066 in Italians. Anyway, the most recent...
by sforza
22 Oct 2023, 20:10

I am not an expert and would recommend consulting with administrators of the haplogroup projects on FTDNA. That said, this is what I do know: R1b-M269 is the haplogroup of half the men in Europe. The question for M-269's is defining their subclade or terminal SNP (their branch on the tree). My pater...
by sforza
15 Oct 2023, 17:56

You can do geographical Y chromosome analysis. My direct paternal line is from Bari. We are on FTDNA and did the big-Y 500 several years ago so I got a very specific haplogroup on the y tree. I plugged this into a very cool tool on the ysec site (HRAS), which maps haplogroups. The density of haplogr...
by sforza
14 Oct 2023, 19:16
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Help with reading ship manifest
Replies: 4
Views: 275

Re: Help with reading ship manifest

@BethPunzo - are you researching Zeuli's? I am as well and would be happy to compare notes and share any information. If so, feel free to DM me.
by sforza
14 Sep 2023, 19:54
Topic: Milano/Lombardia research - Sconfietti - Bianchi family
Replies: 0
Views: 5749

Milano/Lombardia research - Sconfietti - Bianchi family

Hello, I'm seeking advice on next steps in researching some of my Milanese ancestry. There seem to be fewer online records compared to other places I've researched. Here is the line: -Cesare Sconfietti, born in Milano in 1872, died in Rochester, NY in 1936. I located the birth certificate. -Cesare's...
by sforza
11 Jun 2018, 12:01
Topic: Records from il Brefotrofio di Parma
Replies: 1
Views: 1090

Records from il Brefotrofio di Parma

Hello, I am helping a distant relative in her effort to identify the birth mother of her grandfather who was born in the Brefotrofio in Parma in 1882. The birth was registered with the city of Parma, and the baptism registered by the diocese, but the name of the birth mother was withheld at her requ...
by sforza
11 Jan 2015, 21:34
Topic: Arcidiocesi di Palermo
Replies: 8
Views: 2993

Re: Arcidiocesi di Palermo

Yes, I noticed that. There is a listing of the parishe collections on the site. Do you know if they have compiled a master index of the collections they do have?
by sforza
08 Jan 2015, 09:04

After a bit of digging, good news. For those interested in on-site research in Palermo, the archdiosan archives are open to the public, and offer reproduction and translation services for a fee. Here is the link: http://www.asdpa.diocesipa.it/
by sforza
05 Jan 2015, 06:38

I'm really not sure where he was born. My 5th GGF died in Palermo in 1817, an unfortunate three years before the city adopted the civil records. Here is what I know (from the marriage allegati of his son, my 4th GGF (who thankfully got married a second time or I would have never found these)). 1. My...
by sforza
04 Jan 2015, 18:56

Hi Marty, The Palermo church records (going back to the 1500s for some parishes) are now available for order at the LDS family history centers. I sent a request that they post these online to familysearch in browsable format as there is no master index and the Palermo diocese itself covers dozens of...
by sforza
24 Nov 2014, 16:51
Topic: Trieste Genealogy & Surnames-Andorlig
Replies: 7
Views: 2959

Re: Trieste Genealogy & Surnames-Andorlig

Thanks, Suanj. I think the "Rayfemberg" reference on the Trieste cognomi site may be a typo. The closest placename I can find is "Reifenberg" in Germany.
by sforza
24 Nov 2014, 14:34

Suanj - Fantastic! I will pursue that and see what the church comes up with.
by sforza
24 Nov 2014, 09:09

I can scan it, but it is not a copy of the original church register; the info has been transcribed onto a form. The transcription is a neat, unambiguous print (not script).
by sforza
23 Nov 2014, 20:06

Trieste Genealogy & Surnames-Andorlig

Hi, My research has taken me up the boot to Trieste, where a 4th GGM, Maria Ballarin, was born. I received from the Diocese copies of her baptismal, marriage and burial certs. Unfortunately, they are barebones. But her birth cert contained her mother's name, Maria Andorlig. This name does not appear...