Search found 26 matches

by Pastore
16 Aug 2012, 01:13
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Establishing "No Record" with Census errors - Past
Replies: 22
Views: 27295

Re: Establishing "No Record" with Census errors - Past

Just wanted to let everyone know that after taking a break for some time because of work and other things, I finally got back around to gathering all of the information, getting USCIS records, and finally had my appointment in Detroit in July of this year. I presented all of the records, copies, tra...
by Pastore
03 Apr 2010, 21:18
Topic: USCIS Index Search Received - Address to Use?
Replies: 28
Views: 26837

Re: USCIS Index Search Received - Address to Use?

Just wanted to give an update. I sent out my request Jan. 29. 2010 and received a Certificate of Non Existence of Records today, April 3, 2010. So around 8 weeks to get a result.
by Pastore
17 Feb 2010, 13:25
Topic: Do consulates always want census records?
Replies: 23
Views: 13242

Re: Do consulates always want census records?

Thanks Debbie, mler and Peter. From what I have heard, he did not serve in the military, only signed up for the draft. Would this change where I look? Here is a copy of the filing: 1918 Draft Registration . Also, I have checked all of the Vermillion County records from around 1900 to 1950, and there...
by Pastore
15 Feb 2010, 01:22

mler wrote:Many Italians served in the U.S. military, and many, but not all, naturalized at that time. If your ggf did so, it may explain why his naturalization records are not found in the standard places.
Do you have any idea, then, where these records could be found?
by Pastore
14 Feb 2010, 14:01

Thanks for all of your insight on this! I have used his birth name, Giovanni, and what he later went by, John, on all requests along with the places where he lived at different times. There is no indication on the ship manifest of a petition number. The ship manifest actually shows my p-GGM travelin...
by Pastore
14 Feb 2010, 12:30

The 1930 census says "Na." I have a 1912 ship manifest that says "non-immigrant alien." I just found a military registration card from 1918 that does say U.S. Citizen. So that plus the 1920 census seems to make it clear that naturalization took place between 1912 and 1918. I can'...
by Pastore
14 Feb 2010, 00:48

I did check county records. In Indiana, they are all located at the State Archives. I checked all records from 1890 to 1950 for the county, and there are none located there - petition, naturalization, or otherwise. Detroit does require census records, so I think, unfortunately, I may be at the end o...
by Pastore
13 Feb 2010, 20:39

I had this same question. My p-GGF has no records from USCIS,. I haven't searched NARA yet, however, I have checked with them in the past and have good reason to believe there is no record there either. There is, however a census record showing him as naturalized in the 1920 census. Since my GF was ...
by Pastore
31 Jan 2010, 21:02

Re: USCIS Index Search Received - Address to Use?

Thanks Peter and SChiarini for your advice. I have sent out the letter and will let you know the turn-around time (Sent on January 29th, 2010).
by Pastore
29 Jan 2010, 15:46

USCIS Index Search Received - Address to Use?

So after a botched USCIS request that took over a year, and a resubmitted index search to the newer genealogy section, I finally received a letter saying that no records were found in their search. In the letter, it states that if I, "Need a certification of non-existence of a naturalization re...
by Pastore
29 Dec 2009, 17:38
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Roster of Italian POWS at Camp Atterbury, Indiana
Replies: 8
Views: 6404

Re: Roster of Italian POWS at Camp Atterbury, Indiana

There are still some children of POWs who remained in the U.S. after the war that attend the Chapel in the Meadow event each August. The POWs usually married Italian-American women who visited the camps where they were transferred after Atterbury. I know some were sent to camps in Ohio. Beyond that,...
by Pastore
29 Dec 2009, 17:37
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Roster of Italian POWS at Camp Atterbury, Indiana
Replies: 8
Views: 6404

Re: Roster of Italian POWS at Camp Atterbury, Indiana

Hi Jim,

Here is a link to the Italian Heritage Society of Indiana's web site page about the Chapel in the Meadow:
IHSI - Our Lady's Chapel in the Meadow
by Pastore
14 Jun 2009, 19:15

Re: Establishing "No Record" with Census errors -

OK, so now what? I received the response to my request, and it is not even close to the person for whom I sent the request (different state, DOB, etc...). I can't wait another 15 months, so what should I do? They did leave a number to call, which I will do on Monday morning. This is a very frustrati...
by Pastore
11 Jun 2009, 17:09

OK, so I checked my FOIA request status, and it says it was processed on 6/9/09! Hopefully it won't take too long to mail, and I will find out if I am eligible or not. Total time from submission to processing = 15 months. Does anyone know if this will be an official statement of "No Record"...
by Pastore
13 Mar 2009, 16:42

Just wanted to give an update. I received birth and marriage records today for my great-grandfather and great-grandmother. It turns out that my 3rd cousin is an assessor for the town, and her father knows my great-uncle, who is still alive! It was nice to get a hand-written note along with the docum...