by suemsa
25 Sep 2009, 16:32
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Assistance please
Replies: 28
Views: 20164

Re: Assistance please

Hi

Wonderful news and I have replied to you.

All the best,

Sue
by suemsa
13 Sep 2009, 11:09

papazulu wrote:Should you need further help, I'd be happy to cooperate.
Wish you a nice evening
Paolo
Paolo,

Have gone through the first 30 pages and have some names and details, not so many italians though. If you let me have an email address, will send to you.

Sue
by suemsa
31 Aug 2009, 16:31

thanks for the hint about Rovigo - the memoirs were written in 1944, when Ugo was 77 years old, in german (although his first language would have been italian) and they have then been translated by a german friend into English so as you can imagine there could be lots of errors and the memoirs do ra...
by suemsa
31 Aug 2009, 13:18

If you can give me some time to go through it, will get back to you. One he mentions alot though is his 'faithful friend' Romani from Bovigo who he travelled with from Massaua to Zanzibar around 1891.
by suemsa
31 Aug 2009, 12:21

Will have a look on ebay. the memoirs have not been published, I have a photocopy of the translation from german to english - I need to spend time trying to organise it into something that makes sense
by suemsa
31 Aug 2009, 11:43

Hi Paolo
Many thanks for this info. From the memoirs he was in Tanga before this time, first arriving around 1894. he did work as a contractor and also had sisal estates. Is the German East African yearbook available online as would love to see the relevant page?
by suemsa
21 Apr 2009, 16:51

Hi Suemsa, on this site you can search for military Enlistment for people born in Mantova and its 70 Comunes....You need to be registered but the search is free... http://ricerchefamiliari.lombardinelmondo.org/ It covers the males born between 1870 and 1890, so possible you may not be able to find ...
by suemsa
21 Apr 2009, 10:08

The following records are on eight 16mm films which can be rented from the Family History Library (FHL). http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp Check with the Mormon Church near you to see if they have a Family History Center Italy, Mantova, Gonzaga - Civil registration Ital...
by suemsa
20 Apr 2009, 11:06

suanj wrote:"In the memoirs he mentions military training in mantua?"
I know not... but Mantua is Mantova in Italian language
thank you, will make a note of it and let you know how I get on.
by suemsa
20 Apr 2009, 04:56

Moglia and Motteggiana are in Mantova province, so the "Manua" can be Mantova ....... if Ugo Zanetti family lived in Moglia di Gonzaga ( in the past this town was a hamlet of Gonzaga town; Moglia di Gonzaga is town from 1877... with name of Moglia) maybe you can write in Moglia common, ci...
by suemsa
18 Apr 2009, 16:25

The memoirs were written in German in 1944 and then translated by another german but his place of birth is written as manua?He then mentions Motteggiana? After his birth he was put in foster care with a family who lived in Moglia di gonzaga - hope this might help?
by suemsa
18 Apr 2009, 12:11

thanks for the tip, but guess that would cover people who ended up in the States? Ugo ended up in Tanganikya and I believe died in Tanga around 1944.
by suemsa
18 Apr 2009, 11:23

Assistance please

Am starting to trace italian ancestors - where can I start trying to find birth/marriage info? Am starting off with info from handwritten memoirs and am searching Ugo Zanetti, born in Manua on 19 january 1867. Any help appreciated