Search found 28 matches

by uwlaw
22 Dec 2010, 22:13
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Translation of documents
Replies: 9
Views: 3729

Re: Translation of documents

Jalapeno, it depends completely on your consulate. Some will accept translations regardless of who performed them (they will just spot-check them to see if they're accurate). Others will only accept them if they're from a certified translator. Yet others (eg Boston) require that they be performed by...
by uwlaw
22 Dec 2010, 18:40
Topic: Frustrated -- At Wits End
Replies: 17
Views: 6717

Re: Frustrated -- At Wits End

Mler makes a very good point. I do not know whether the law may have considered the act of being married an effective 'emancipation' such as would free the child from the effects of Article 12 of the 1912 law and instead make them subject to Article 8 (which only results in the loss of Italian citiz...
by uwlaw
21 Dec 2010, 23:56

You're now moving from a pure legal question to one of proof and facts. Ultimately it will be up to the applicable consulate or comune to decide what evidence will suffice and, for that matter, how they construe the "living with" language in the Citizenship Law of 1912. I suggest that you ...
by uwlaw
19 Dec 2010, 06:02
Topic: The paperwork
Replies: 5
Views: 3172

Re: The paperwork

Box it up and put it in the attic, if nothing else. You never know when one of your descendents or relatives may need it for a completely different purpose. It's difficult to tell now what may be useful to someone else in the future. One of my grandparents did exactly that with a document they certa...
by uwlaw
08 Dec 2010, 20:54

If would have become invalid as of June 30, 1913. But it needs only to be valid when the Petition for Naturalization is filed, not when naturalization is actually granted. Thus, as long as his Petition for Naturalization was filed on or before June 29, 1913, the naturalization would have been valid.
by uwlaw
07 Dec 2010, 08:48

Jenna, What exactly is the story behind the anonymous piece of paper that you received? Did this just show up mysteriously in the mail, or is it something you expected? Is this is the only reason you have to believe that Angelo was naturalized? Have you tried a USCIS index search? If that was negati...
by uwlaw
07 Dec 2010, 02:35
Topic: Can I claim Italian Citizenship...IF
Replies: 4
Views: 1944

Re: Can I claim Italian Citizenship...IF

Andrew, Your case seems very straightforward, requiring only that you present the relevant paperwork (birth, marrirage, death certificates and proof of non-naturalization) to your local Italian consulate. Is there a reason why you think you require a lawyer? You can likely find all of the informatio...
by uwlaw
07 Dec 2010, 02:29
Topic: Italy or USA Age of Majority
Replies: 1
Views: 1190

Re: Italy or USA Age of Majority

Jennabet,

Please see the response I have posted to your other message:

http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... tml#146101
by uwlaw
07 Dec 2010, 02:28

Jennabet, With regard to Frank, I believe that the age of majority in Italy at the time was 21 (it was only lowered to 18 in 1975 as part of the major legislation dealing with the rights of the family). This means that Frank was a minor when his father naturalized in 1913. You can't rely on Article ...
by uwlaw
03 Dec 2010, 00:59
Topic: WHY SOME ITALIANS HAVE AGE DISCREPANCY!
Replies: 19
Views: 6834

Re: WHY SOME ITALIANS HAVE AGE DISCREPANCY!

Note also that many Italian birth records record the date on which the birth was registered with the comune, rather than the date on which the actual birth occurred. This originates from the hand-written records of birth retained by the comunes (from which birth certificates are generated), which re...
by uwlaw
01 Dec 2010, 20:02
Topic: Court order to get 1893 naturalization record from county?
Replies: 6
Views: 3211

Re: Court order to get 1893 naturalization record from count

My impression is that all consulates are beginning to enforce this rule; that being the case, it may be a good idea for you to investigate your own consulate's take on this issue before investing to much money in your quest. In a sense, it's not surprising that all consulates are beginning to enfor...
by uwlaw
01 Dec 2010, 19:15
Topic: Is Th anything to do so I don't lose ameerican citizens
Replies: 3
Views: 1546

Re: Is Th anything to do so I don't lose ameerican citi

Carmine is correct. Many people with dual citizenship who wish to renounce their US citizenship in order to avoid double taxation are right now learning just how hard it is to do so. There is a waiting list of nearly a year at the US consulate in London for those who are attempting to renounce. Note...
by uwlaw
29 Nov 2010, 08:27
Topic: Question to Embassy
Replies: 7
Views: 2060

Re: Question to Embassy

It also depends somewhat on the Consulate. I've dealt with one official who spoke very good English; and another who didn't speak a word. Similarly, there are some officials who will respond to English correspondence in English, and others who will respond to English in Italian.
by uwlaw
29 Nov 2010, 00:42
Topic: Contacting the commune: regular mail versus fax?
Replies: 14
Views: 5569

Re: Contacting the commune: regular mail versus fax?

While not required under Italian law (all vital records are supposed to be free), I've had very good luck receiving responses to my requests by enclosing a $20 bill in the envelope. Of course, this requires contacting the comune by mail instead of fax. Is this proper protocol? Not really. Has it wor...