Search found 37 matches

by Obelix
19 Mar 2012, 13:17
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Overseas Italian WW1 Conscripts - Any Records?
Replies: 2
Views: 1013

Re: Overseas Italian WW1 Conscripts - Any Records?

Thank you Marty.

I will send the email and let you know the response.

You've been a great help.
by Obelix
18 Mar 2012, 06:14
Topic: Overseas Italian WW1 Conscripts - Any Records?
Views: 1013

Overseas Italian WW1 Conscripts - Any Records?

I'm hoping for some guidance in my search. My last known Italian born ancestors came from Miglierina, Catanzaro, Calabria.In the 1850's ( during construction of Suez) they moved to Egypt and stayed there until the 1950's. My grandfather, Antonio Astorino, was born in Egypt in 1890, and was conscript...
by Obelix
14 Feb 2012, 18:00
Topic: Anthony Joseph Mion 1902-1972
Replies: 4
Views: 1550

Re: Anthony Joseph Mion 1902-1972

Suanj, I referred to you as he instead of she.
Scusa.
by Obelix
14 Feb 2012, 17:49
Topic: Anthony Joseph Mion 1902-1972
Views: 1550

Re: Anthony Joseph Mion 1902-1972

Hi mr/ms Carlsson. As the learned Suanj suggests, visit the friuli in prin website he links to and you will find, by typing in the names Mion and Violino, and the luogo (location) San Daniele, the particulars of many potential ancestors bearing those names. Italians of past generations frequently re...
by Obelix
01 Jan 2012, 14:20
Topic: Gentilli Family from Trieste
Replies: 11
Views: 3288

Re: Gentilli Family from Trieste

Eduardo's British marriage certificate might also contain his parent's particulars. It should be available from the registry if he married in London in 1888.
by Obelix
01 Jan 2012, 14:11

Hi again Shylock. I'm only an amateur with no particular expertise, and you may already be well ahead of me. Have you tried Jewish websites such as Jewishgen or Sephardicgen? They have sections relating to Italian Jewish ancestry and you may strike it lucky. Also, you could send a proforma letter to...
by Obelix
31 Dec 2011, 14:19

Hi Shylock. There are a number of people by the name of Gentilli from San Daniele del Friuli which is not that far from Trieste. Go to the Friuli in Prin website (google it) and enter the name Gentilli in the cognome box. There are a number of Gentilli there. They may or may not be related to you. T...
by Obelix
08 Mar 2011, 04:16
Topic: Ernesto Scotton and Erminia Galai - Moimacco, Udine
Views: 2433

Re: Ernesto Scotton and Erminia Galai - Moimacco, Udine

Would the friuli in prin site help? If these villages are in friuli, the surname is known, and you have first names of your ancestors born before the turn of the last century, ie 100 years ago, you used to be able to do an online instant search. Don't know if that is still possible though. They have...
by Obelix
23 Dec 2010, 07:29
Topic: WW1 Military Records
Replies: 9
Views: 5311

Re: WW1 Military Records

I can't help you with this Josie, but I have a related query. My grandfather served in the Italian army and was wounded in WW1. He was born in Egypt from Italian parents and was living in Egypt at the time the war broke out. He must have joined up from there. Is there any registry in Italy from whic...
by Obelix
07 Dec 2010, 08:34
Topic: Visiting Italian towns - reception?
Replies: 18
Views: 8332

Re: Visiting Italian towns - reception?

Italysearcher, do you recommend this approach for Sicily and Calabria as well? :)
by Obelix
24 Aug 2010, 11:36
Topic: Where can i find Divorce Records in italy?
Views: 3580

Re: Where can i find Divorce Records in italy?

If they were married they simply could not legally divorce in Italy. They could however go to another country and obtain the legal status to divorce according to that country's laws. If they then returned to Italy there would be no punishment, but the Italian Government would still consider them to ...
by Obelix
27 Jul 2010, 01:07
Topic: Gioacchin what is this name in englis
Views: 1922

Re: Gioacchin what is this name in englis

Gioacchino translates as Joseph in any online dictionary. Ithink it derives from the Germanic Joachim. In the dialect of the Friuli region and possibly in other regions such as Tyrol it is quite common for there not to be vowels at the end of words and Gioacchin could be a reflection of this. Or it ...
by Obelix
26 Jul 2010, 11:06
Topic: Please transcribe surname?
Replies: 16
Views: 6756

Re: Please transcribe surname?

After the printed word "casa" meaning "house" or "home" the following written words appear to be "di categoria abitazione" meaning (loosely) of housing type or category.
by Obelix
04 Jul 2010, 04:53
Topic: Vassallo surname
Views: 2984

Re: Vassallo surname

Sinatra, keep in mind that Vassallo is also a common Maltese name, and if Pasquale came from there, you may draw a blank in Italy.

But of course he may well have been Italian, as there was a lot of population exchange between southern Italy and Malta.