Search found 15 matches

by scottshay
14 May 2013, 22:06
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA
Replies: 54
Views: 24115

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

Hi Mark, I used a local attorney in Lebanon, PA where my grandfather was born--I am guessing they would not take a case unless it was local. I would try to find an attorney in the county where your father was born--look for someone who practices family law. In reality, you don't need a lawyer to pet...
by scottshay
06 Jun 2011, 20:29
Topic: Codice Fiscale
Replies: 19
Views: 15533

Re: Codice Fiscale

They do still issue cards, though for some reason, they won't send them in the mail (even though the numbers are not quite "secure" since it is derived). I sent an application to the DC Embassy (which has jurisdiction over where I live). They called me and said they can just email me the n...
by scottshay
06 Jun 2011, 19:54
Topic: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA
Replies: 54
Views: 24115

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

I can help you with the PA court order to have a birth cert amended. I petitioned a local court in PA last year and got a court order to have a delayed record of birth created for my GF for my jure sanguinis application. Even though it's a slightly different thing you are doing, the legal proceeding...
by scottshay
12 Apr 2011, 05:33
Topic: Question about applying at the Italian Embassy in DC
Replies: 11
Views: 7098

Re: Question about applying at the Italian Embassy in DC

It's almost a year later, and I just wanted to follow up on my original post in case any reads this looking for info about applying in DC. Long story (below!) short, my letter from the Embassy arrived earlier this month stating that my documents are being forwarded to my comune in Italy and that I a...
by scottshay
25 Apr 2010, 21:56
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Where to get DNA testing
Replies: 15
Views: 10574

Re: Where to get DNA testing

You can use your 19a value from Ancestry in 19/394 (it is DYS value 19, but sometimes referred to as 394). I would leave dashes as dashes and not change them to nulls. I assume you are probably referring to GATA H4 for the "subtract 11"? That is actually not correct anymore (probably an ol...
by scottshay
25 Apr 2010, 15:12

@cubsy2, you can enter your results at ysearch.org (one of the bigger databases, sponsored by familytreedna.com), genebase.com, and genetree.com. Though I've found ysearch (and familytreedna itself) to be the most comprehensive. The current algorithms for most recent common ancestor (mrca) are a bit...
by scottshay
21 Apr 2010, 12:44

Thanks Kontessa! That is probably a good idea to just make an appt. I don't have the apostilles yet (another few weeks), but I suppose it makes sense just so I can get an idea of exactly what they need. The docs are all from PA, so I will check out what it might take to amend them. Thanks so much fo...
by scottshay
20 Apr 2010, 19:07

Thanks so much for the reply, Kontessa! I was able to speak with Signora Provenzano last week, and she was quite helpful, but I did not ask all of the questions I should have at that time. I am trying to get back in touch with her. But I think you are right--a trip to the embassy is not so difficult...
by scottshay
20 Apr 2010, 17:48
Topic: Template of Italian translation of PA birth certificate
Replies: 1
Views: 5122

Template of Italian translation of PA birth certificate

Ciao a tutti! I have a Word doc that is a translation into Italian of the official Pennsylvania state birth certificate. (I wasn't able to post it here, it says the max file size for all attachments has been reached...this is zipped and only 8k, so it should be fine otherwise). Please email me if yo...
by scottshay
20 Apr 2010, 16:56

I used familytreedna.com for yDNA testing. They seem to have one of the largest databases of results, but you can also take your results and input them elsewhere, notably ysearch.org. Keep in mind, yDNA testing only tests the direct male line (and only males can take the test, but male siblings will...
by scottshay
20 Apr 2010, 13:28

Ciao Livio! Thank you for the link! Unfortunately the site does not actually have any specific info about the documentation needed for applying for citizenship for those of us doing it based upon ancestral descent. So for example, my g-grandfather was an Italian citizen through whom I am claiming ci...
by scottshay
20 Apr 2010, 13:11

Thanks for the reply, Alicia! Unfortunately, there is no actual info about the dual citizenship process on the embassy site, and my emails don't seem to get answered. I called and talked to someone last week and basically just asked if the doc requirements were the same as for Philly, and she said y...
by scottshay
20 Apr 2010, 02:44

Question about applying at the Italian Embassy in DC

Ciao a tutti! I have been gathering documentation for a few years now and was originally going by the docs required by Philadelphia till I figured out that I need to go to the Embassy in DC since I am in Arlington, VA. My question is, what is the exact documentation that the Embassy requires (they d...
by scottshay
17 Apr 2010, 15:26
Topic: How to know when your citizenship has been approved by Italy
Replies: 38
Views: 21964

Re: How to know when your citizenship has been approved by I

Thanks for the info, mikedc. I will also be going through the Embassy (I live in Arlington). For any other locals (DC, Arlington, Fairfax), I called the Embassy yesterday to get a better heads up on the process and they were quite helpful. I am sure there are only a tiny number of applicants per yea...
by scottshay
16 Apr 2010, 04:02
Topic: dual citizenship at the Philadelphia Consulate
Replies: 14
Views: 11418

Re: dual citizenship at the Philadelphia Consulate

Hello! I have a similar question. My g-grandfather was naturalized AFTER the birth of my grandfather. I used the USCIS genealogical service to get a copy of his naturalization paperwork, HOWEVER, they just sent xerox copies, rather than anything official. So I believe I need a letter from USCIS atte...