Search found 9 matches

by Anna7841
30 May 2010, 19:49
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Orphan visa
Replies: 26
Views: 11623

Re: Orphan visa

Yes,I noticed that this whole manifest seems to have less info than many others that I have looked at. It also looks like it was filled out with less care than others I have seen . It does seem that the first name could be only one of a couple, and even Giralmo, I have not seen as much as other more...
by Anna7841
29 May 2010, 22:02

Again, thank you very much for the help. I am just starting out investigating the family history, and you really gave me great ideas when I had come to a standstill on what to do next. Eventually, I will let you know how it all turns out!--Ann
by Anna7841
29 May 2010, 21:24

Now, that is very cool! I never would have figured that out myself! I am so excited,thank you so much!--Ann
by Anna7841
29 May 2010, 21:16

Thanks, but I am sure he died in 1951. I think I did at some point come across a social sec for him, so I will request the copy. That is a great suggestion, I hadn't heard of that before.--Ann
by Anna7841
29 May 2010, 21:06

The surviving brother was listed as Anthony Daddato in Brooklyn. My mom does remember receiving a Christmas card from them shortly after they were married, and it was from Brooklyn. She says my aunt was also visited several times by Anthony's daughter (her cousin), Sophie Daddoto. It was a huge tabo...
by Anna7841
29 May 2010, 21:01

Yes, thank you, I did see that . I am confused , wonder if he was born here or there. Can't really find any evidence of his parents OR hers here. My mother says that her parents said he was Napolitano. To complicate matters, I am trying to look for records in Brooklyn, which I guess was Manhattan at...
by Anna7841
29 May 2010, 20:31

Thank you for the reply. Yes, those are the documents I saw, where does it list him as a laborer? I had a hard time understanding the little bit of writing on the manifest other than the name, although some of those seemed difficult to figure out,too! And what shows that he paid for his own passage?...
by Anna7841
29 May 2010, 19:12

Giralomo (or Giralomio) Dodatto, age 15 , arriving on SS Brittannia 10/24/1889 I have seen the first name spelled Girolomo, Gilormo, Girolorino on the marriage record and listings of it. I have seen the last name spelled D'oddato on the marriage record, Doddato on the listing of it, and the family s...
by Anna7841
29 May 2010, 18:42

Orphan visa

I had heard stories for years that my grandfather came over on an orphan visa. The only name I can find in ship lists is a 15 year old boy. I don't see anyone else on the manifest that seems to be obviously related to him. The date of birth, port of departure fits and the name is very close. Has any...