Search found 202 matches

by KarenChristino
20 Jun 2013, 02:00
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Eligibility and Documentation Questions
Replies: 11
Views: 4335

Re: Eligibility and Documentation Questions

Hopefully the license part of the marriage record also has a confirmation by the priest or city official that they were married. I made the error of neglecting that (a 2nd page in NY) and had to re-do the whole thing with certification and apostille. You may not need certified copies of records in t...
by KarenChristino
19 Jun 2013, 02:44
Topic: Eligibility and Documentation Questions
Replies: 11
Views: 4335

Re: Eligibility and Documentation Questions

Savio, I had the same issues as you do. I was anxious about getting the Italian documents, but they were one of the easiest things to obtain since the Italian records are generally much better kept than the American ones from that time. If you've had some Italian (and even if you haven't) you can ea...
by KarenChristino
31 May 2013, 20:35
Topic: Records Destroyed
Replies: 12
Views: 4859

Re: Records Destroyed

Jessica,

I was able to get my GGF's records from Avellino (though born in a different comune), so you should try there as well. I believe that the LDS records were actually filmed at the state level, so my guess is that they will have it. Good luck.

Karen
by KarenChristino
23 May 2013, 02:13
Topic: A Poll - Where was your appt / how long until notification
Replies: 14
Views: 7602

Re: A Poll - Where was your appt / how long until notificati

We applied in NYC and I believe we had to wait 8-9 months for an appointment in August 2011. However I think they were short-staffed so they cancelled it and then the soonest we could get was February, 2012. We needed to get/correct a few items, and had to wait another year. As if to compensate, aft...
by KarenChristino
17 May 2013, 16:16
Topic: Citizenship through Marriage NYC
Replies: 5
Views: 2414

Re: Citizenship through Marriage NYC

Thanks. I had a similar situation with descent in that they were very critical of some of our documents in the first appointment. We did do almost everything they asked for in terms of corrections and additional proofs, but at the 2nd appointment they accepted everything, including things that could...
by KarenChristino
17 May 2013, 02:33
Topic: Citizenship through Marriage NYC
Views: 2414

Re: Citizenship through Marriage NYC

Hi Drew,

Congratulations and thanks for the info! How strict are they with the marriage applications? My husband's birth certificate has his mother's maiden name slightly misspelled, so does not match our marriage record. Would they make us correct it?

Thanks,
Karen
by KarenChristino
15 May 2013, 02:02
Topic: Please help. Missing marriage certificate.
Replies: 10
Views: 6935

Re: Please help. Missing marriage certificate.

Here's the link to order Census records from theNnational Archives. You should order a certified copy. However you need to find it first on someplace like Ancestry.com. It will have all the information that you need to place the order -- Date, place, names and I think district numbers at the top. ht...
by KarenChristino
09 May 2013, 21:33
Topic: searching for birth record for Crescenzo DeMonaco
Views: 2649

Re: searching for birth record for Crescenzo DeMonaco

Marriage records tend to be more accurate (since they use information from the couple themselves). Death records are filled out by other family members (who apparently didn't even know his mother's name). So I would try using the marriage record info first. But you can always mention both names. See...
by KarenChristino
08 May 2013, 20:46
Topic: searching for birth record for Crescenzo DeMonaco
Views: 2649

Re: searching for birth record for Crescenzo DeMonaco

Jamie, The State Archives should have additional copies of the records. I believe the LDS records were photocopied in the State Archives and I've heard that this was around the time of WWII. As Nic reported that they are not listed there, it suggests that they do not have them. However if the comune...
by KarenChristino
08 May 2013, 19:57
Topic: Birth cirtificate help, Please.
Replies: 6
Views: 3719

Re: Birth cirtificate help, Please.

Lisa,

Sometimes you need to follow-up with them. If you don't hear back within a reasonable amount of time, I would send another request and mention that it's your second request. You might also have your brother call them as a next step.

Karen C.
by KarenChristino
16 Mar 2013, 22:57
Topic: Error on Pennsylvania Birth Record - Worth Fixing?
Replies: 3
Views: 1677

Re: Error on Pennsylvania Birth Record - Worth Fixing?

I can only comment on the non-direct line GGM -- in which case I don't think you need to worry about it. In NY, where it does appear they are stricter than in some places, they did NOT ask me to make the change for my non-direct GM and only requested a photocopy of her birth record (no apostille or ...
by KarenChristino
13 Mar 2013, 01:17
Topic: Please help 1 item keeping me from Italian Citizenship!
Replies: 7
Views: 3543

Re: Please help 1 item keeping me from Italian Citizenship!

Were his birth record and baptismal record both recently received? Did you actually see the original records? I would follow-up with these just to make absolutely sure that there were no errors in transcription. When I requested my GM's baptismal record, they actually sent me 2 --one for my GM Rosa ...
by KarenChristino
07 Sep 2012, 02:11
Topic: Italian Comune Birth Certificate Date and Surname
Replies: 9
Views: 3905

Re: Italian Comune Birth Certificate Date and Surname

They should have a reader at your local LDS Family History Center -- but you should probably check with them to be sure. They were staffed by volunteers in Brooklyn, and it's a great convenience, but I'd also call ahead before you go in to be sure someone's there. The indexes to the comune records t...
by KarenChristino
06 Sep 2012, 15:44

You can order the Federal Census records online at the National Archives at -- https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonline/start.swe?SWECmd=GotoView&SWEView=GPEA+Product+Detail+-+Features+View+FFO&SWEHo=eservices.archives.gov&SWETS=1199728061&SWEPostnApplet=GPEA+Product+Form+Applet+FF...
by KarenChristino
05 Sep 2012, 22:05

I would suggest checking on Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org to see if you can turn up a month and day for your great-grandparents online. If that does not work, you can request microfilms from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, since you have their comune and his year of birth. It wo...