Search found 7 matches

by LifesADance
13 Nov 2010, 21:38
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: line crossed out on passenger list
Replies: 9
Views: 9530

Re: line crossed out on passenger list

OK, Carmine, thanks, I have other relatives to look up so it is good to know I can cross reference the detainee list with the earlier pages if I come across this again. My eyes have gone back to normal today :-D

And thanks to the other folks for the varies links. I will check them out.
by LifesADance
13 Nov 2010, 01:01

OK, so I am crossed eyed now from reading all the names on the ships manifest. Carmine, you are right, the name on the detained page is not my great aunts. I came across the detainees name again on a prior page. My relatives names were only listed once on the document and crossed out. I guess I have...
by LifesADance
12 Nov 2010, 18:59

Entries with a line through them mean that, for one reason or another, the person did not sail. Illness and/or arriving at the port after the ship sailed are two common reasons. Oftentimes you can find another manifest days or weeks later for the same person. Carmine, I have a similar question. I h...
by LifesADance
12 Nov 2010, 18:38
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: WWI and citizenship in the USA
Replies: 5
Views: 3928

Re: WWI and citizenship in the USA

Hi again, just a follow up post. I finally did get my grandfathers naturalization records, both the denied and approved. The first application was denied due to a "incompetent witness". A year later he applied again, as I said, and he had a new witness-his brother. I have also found some r...
by LifesADance
15 Oct 2010, 15:27

Yes it is a good mystery! I've written to the NYC court for copies of his citizenship applications, both the denied and approved ones. hopefully there will be some clue there. Something must have happened, but my father didnt know and there is no one else around to ask. I'll just have to wait to see...
by LifesADance
15 Oct 2010, 13:52

Thanks Carmine, I have a follow up question. Were there any rules in place in the Army during that time where only one son would be drafted? Both my grandfather and great uncle filed draft cards, they were 23 and 24 at the time. Both draft cards were filled out the same, saying they had to support t...
by LifesADance
14 Oct 2010, 21:48

WWI and citizenship in the USA

Hello! Does anyone know if a person had to be naturalized to to serve in WWI? My grandfather was born in italy, came over to the USA in the early 1900's and his application for citizenship was denied in may 1917. I am thinking this is why he did not serve in the war. His brothers, who were naturaliz...