Search found 50 matches

by 846newyorker
08 Aug 2012, 23:39
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Husband's birth certificate needed?
Replies: 1
Views: 1197

Husband's birth certificate needed?

My aunt is applying for de jure sanguinis at the Philadelphia consulate. Her father was born in the U.S. before his father naturalized; she was born prior to 1948 and married in the 1960s. The instructions from the PA consulate do not indicate that she needs her husband's birth certificate; however,...
by 846newyorker
17 Jul 2012, 04:21
Topic: Passport + AIRE process in NYC
Replies: 3
Views: 2722

Re: Passport + AIRE process in NYC

Great, thanks. Yes, it appears I have been added to the registry in the consulate and can go ahead and apply for the passport. However, the letter requests I wait a few weeks so that my birth certificate can be placed on file in Italy first. I have made an appointment for the very end of the month, ...
by 846newyorker
16 Jul 2012, 00:28
Topic: Passport + AIRE process in NYC
Views: 2722

Passport + AIRE process in NYC

Just got my letter of recognition from NYC! It was very quick -- under two months total. Now for the passport. The website says we first need to register with AIRE before applying for the passport. Is this a needed step for newly recognized citizenship? I have gone to the website but it's not entire...
by 846newyorker
26 Jun 2012, 20:21
Topic: dual citizenship through marriage
Replies: 7
Views: 3460

Re: dual citizenship through marriage

Yes, to clarify JJ's post above: Your husband cannot apply during your appointment. That is a second step, and it is not automatic. First you must obtain your own dual citizenship. You will have to see if he is eligible based on your marriage date especially (if it was later than 1983, I believe, th...
by 846newyorker
19 Jun 2012, 18:09
Topic: Form 4 - NYC
Views: 972

Re: Form 4 - NYC

Yes, you need to fill it out, although you can do it at the consulate in front of the officer if you need to. The form asks you to declare that he never renounced his Italian citizenship before any Italian authority, which he presumably did not, even if he naturalized as a U.S. citizen (i.e., renoun...
by 846newyorker
09 Jun 2012, 19:19
Topic: Passports issued same day in NYC?
Views: 1574

Passports issued same day in NYC?

Does the New York City consulate issue your passport the same day you apply in person? Or do you have to wait to have it mailed to you? (Or can you go pick it up in person after your appointment to drop off the application?)

Thanks!
by 846newyorker
03 Jun 2012, 16:21
Topic: Proof of residency to get passport?
Views: 1041

Proof of residency to get passport?

I have recently had my consulate appointment here in New York, where I currently live. I will be moving from my current address (and mostly likely out of New York) by the end of the summer. I've already shown my proof of address so that I could be processed at the New York consulate. I'm assuming I ...
by 846newyorker
24 May 2012, 04:30
Topic: cousin going through same relative
Replies: 4
Views: 2469

Re: cousin going through same relative

Does anyone know about two family members in the same consulate? I just applied in New York and my aunt has an appointment in a few months. Of course we are going through the same ancestor. Is it possible they will accept just photocopies of my documents?
by 846newyorker
16 May 2012, 16:13
Topic: New York long-form birth certificates (non-NYC)
Views: 3739

Re: New York long-form birth certificates (non-NYC)

Thank you for your help. Indeed I just spoke with the state and confirmed this. A year ago and then again this morning I spoke with the locality; they gave me a very different story and claimed they provide the only long form available. To me it's asinine that New York localities and the state issue...
by 846newyorker
16 May 2012, 04:50
Topic: New York long-form birth certificates (non-NYC)
Views: 3739

New York long-form birth certificates (non-NYC)

I was surprised today when the consular officer told me my birth certificate was not the accepted New York long form. I ordered the birth certificate from the locality, Mount Vernon in Westchester County, in long form (in fact I've done so several times and each time received the same document). The...
by 846newyorker
15 May 2012, 02:58
Topic: Photocopies of original documents?
Views: 1241

Photocopies of original documents?

On the NY consulate website, the instructions say you need the full set of originals plus a set of photocopies. Does the consulate actually ask for this or is it a waste of time to make the set of photocopies?

I'm interested specifically for the New York and the Los Angeles consulates. Thanks.
by 846newyorker
01 May 2012, 21:32
Topic: Successful birth certificate change in PA
Replies: 10
Views: 3868

Re: Successful birth certificate change in PA

For goodness sake the name was an Italianized version of his American name that he never used at any time in his life and would certainly not have been accepted by the consulate, but it's the same name. It's obviously the same person as the PA judge agreed (and as anyone would plainly see) and your ...
by 846newyorker
01 May 2012, 17:00
Topic: NY Consulate - getting a sooner Appt.
Replies: 7
Views: 4020

Re: NY Consulate - getting a sooner Appt.

I was told the same thing by Abtran. They instructed me to e-mail the Abtran address making the request. This was many months ago, and I never heard a thing back. Perhaps if you're more persistent...
by 846newyorker
01 May 2012, 14:51
Topic: Successful birth certificate change in PA
Replies: 10
Views: 3868

Re: Successful birth certificate change in PA

PA issues new certificates, unlike NYC cross-outs, so there's now no record of the old information. In addition, all PA certificates are computer generated extracts. No one has access to the original certificates themselves, unless you get a subpoena. So if you suspect the computer extract is incorr...