Search found 64 matches

by lisahickey
14 Oct 2014, 04:27
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: advice about NYC consulate
Replies: 5
Views: 2461

Re: advice about NYC consulate

Update - the citizenship arrived last Thursday - about 6 months after our 3rd and final appointment - hurrah! Thanks to all of you on this board who have provided so much help.
by lisahickey
07 Oct 2014, 15:59

Re: advice about NYC consulate

thanks for the feedback - yes, we emailed this summer and were told that applications are processed in the order in which they are received. very helpful. it's been nearly 6 months and i'm not sure how to proceed - should i call them? will i make them annoyed and move our application to the bottom o...
by lisahickey
02 Oct 2014, 18:46

advice about NYC consulate

my partner's application for citizenship through descent was accepted in April of this year, at his 3rd appointment. both of his siblings and his mother have already received their passports and were accepted at their first appointments in boston and LA. he was told he would hear something in a few ...
by lisahickey
19 Sep 2014, 03:35
Topic: A Poll - Where was your appt / how long until notification
Replies: 14
Views: 7602

Re: A Poll - Where was your appt / how long until notificati

We applied through NYC and had 3 appointments, a year apart each, and after the last one they accepted our papers (all other family members have already been recognized by their consulates - LA and Boston) in April and said it would be a few months. We are STILL waiting and I am feeling slightly fru...
by lisahickey
25 Apr 2014, 16:00
Topic: NYC Consulate advice
Replies: 11
Views: 3351

Re: NYC Consulate advice

Thanks to all who replied - I thought I would follow up and let you know that they accepted the paperwork this time - perhaps 3rd times the charm?
by lisahickey
26 Mar 2014, 12:48

Thanks - my husband is 41. I will try to help her with the birth registration process - how do I find out what that entails? She has her AIRE letter and passport already. I'd love to hear what the ways to "help" the consulate be more reasonable might be. His sister has her passport through...
by lisahickey
26 Mar 2014, 12:20

thanks Carmine - if this is the case why didn't the NYC consulate tell us this? His mother had already been recognized at our second appointment, and when i mentioned that the officer said that they had been known to get other people's citizenship rescinded when other consulates had mistakenly given...
by lisahickey
20 Mar 2014, 16:37

NYC Consulate advice

I'm wondering if anyone who has been successful at the NYC consulate might have any tips - my husband has his 3rd appointment in a few weeks. He is going GGF-GF-M-himself and his mother and sister and brother have all already received passports via LA and Boston. There are two major areas of discrep...
by lisahickey
20 Feb 2014, 19:14
Topic: How to prove non-naturalization for living ancestor?
Replies: 6
Views: 2679

Re: How to prove non-naturalization for living ancestor?

thanks for all of this input. i guess i'm most unclear about the 1912 rule. if his father naturalized while he was a minor (although he himself did arrive here until 10 years after his father became a US citizen), that rule means that he lost his italian citizenship when his father did? is this the ...
by lisahickey
19 Feb 2014, 03:01

Re: How to prove non-naturalization for living ancestor?

Thanks for your reply - this is helpful. However, does the fact that the gf did not arrive with his own papers/under his own name change things? Would this mean that a birth certificate in his name would allow us to pursue citizenship in the absence of naturalization papers in his name? Or does the ...
by lisahickey
19 Feb 2014, 00:51
Topic: GF never natuarlized - letter of no record?
Views: 2310

Re: GF never natuarlized - letter of no record?

Thanks Teresa - we found Angelo's naturalization record in the Warren courthouse, and I am waiting to see those, but the situation is complicated - I just posted about it. It seems they always lived in Warren, although Angelo may have been in NY many years before.
by lisahickey
19 Feb 2014, 00:48

How to prove non-naturalization for living ancestor?

I have a complicated situation - complicated on many levels. 1) Grandfather came to this country using his 1/2 brother's papers. 2) Grandfather was illegitimate and comune cannot find his birth certificate. We are going to check baptism records next. 3) Great grandfather naturalized (not yet sure of...
by lisahickey
12 Feb 2014, 20:35
Topic: Orphanage search Buffalo NY
Replies: 3
Views: 1869

Orphanage search Buffalo NY

I have to find paperwork for a baby girl with the last name Boucoir who was born in 1916 and adopted out of a Catholic orphanage in Buffalo NY in 1920 and given the name Helen Rose Rizza. I've been able to find her parents in the 1940 census (Luigi and Josephine), but no other information - does any...
by lisahickey
12 Feb 2014, 16:36
Topic: GF never natuarlized - letter of no record?
Views: 2310

Re: GF never natuarlized - letter of no record?

Thank you! Yes, that is he. How did you find this? I use ancestry and he didn't show up in the 1940 census in their records.
best,
Lisa
by lisahickey
07 Feb 2014, 21:14
Topic: GF Divorced & Remarried Later in Life - Need Documents?
Replies: 1
Views: 919

Re: GF Divorced & Remarried Later in Life - Need Documents?

it depends which consulate maybe? we had the same situation and got all of the documents just so that we wouldn't be told at our appointment we needed to get them and come back. we are going through nyc and they are super picky about everything, but i would suggest having them just in case.